LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 26 2017

random-username

Local network/Homegroup setup question

I was trying to share a HDD on my PC with other devices connected to my network. I followed the online tutorials on setting up a local network along with Homegroup sharing, only to find out the the transfer speeds were limited to my internet speed. Meaning, the PCs that should theoretically transfer gigabit speeds between each other were stuck at my 8 down and 1 up.

I've reconfigured the network multiple times to no avail. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

#2 August 26 2017

rolf

Re: Local network/Homegroup setup question

When you say "8 down and 1 up" that is megabits or megabytes?
Do not expect gigabit speeds, you will never get that with normal consumer hardware.

#3 August 26 2017

random-username

Megabits. For some reason the LAN transfers are being done through the internet, even though everything is connected via Cat5e, a gigabit router and SSDs.

For example, this is a screenshot of the transfer speed to my SSD from a 3.0 USB stick connected to my 3.0 port on my router.

https://gyazo.com/ab75b3436991112c0ef42a945856e97d

Same transfer speed over wifi and cable between 2 PCs as well.

To make it even more confusing, I can't access the other PCs on my LAN unless my router is connected to the internet.

Last edited by random-username (August 26 2017)

#4 August 26 2017

random-username

Restarted everything and it all seems to be working well. Max transfer speed is 100Mbps though, so I must have a bottleneck in the laptop's network card.

#5 August 27 2017

rolf

Good to hear!

Board footer