LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 24 2007

nuclearcat

UTP 5e in Lebanon

Today i realised, what kind of UTP is sold in some places in lebanon...
Usually UTP 5 category, it is copper cable. What you can buy in lebanon?
1)More thin than necessary. It will work, if you dont plan to reach more than standart limit (~90m). Normal cable can do 150m.
2)It is steel wires covered by copper by halvanic method. Means in fact it is steel cable. More than 15 meter it will not work. Impedance is very high. Even small patch-cord from this cable will get rusted after while.

This is f***g unbelievable, and seems most of problems in lebanese networks sourced from this fact. I guess the sellers of this shit must be jailed, cause really they cause big losses for internet and networking industry in lebanon. 99% of people who is working in networking, dont know how to check parameters on cable.

So when u buy cable, bring with you at least magnet. If magnet working with this "copper" hit in face seller of this shit.

#2 June 24 2007

rolf

Re: UTP 5e in Lebanon

I have a cable running from my home (2nd floor) to the office (road level). It is having some weird connectivity problems lately, where i need to restart the switch.
Thanks nuclearcat :)

Last edited by rolf (June 24 2007)

#3 June 24 2007

battikh

copper-->not attracted by magnet
steel-->attracted bu magnet
cut a piece of the cable, strip it, put the magnet neer it, if they get attracted --> iron, if they don't --> copper

#4 June 25 2007

nuclearcat

battikh - there is also aluminium cable. It is another problem... similar problems with it. Only by scratching by knife u can see real metal inside.

Board footer