LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 13 2007

mir

mobi

I got an sms about mobi  true mobile broadband service with plans 256,512,1 MBPS starting 50$ a month
www.mobi.tm
www.mobi.tm
or contact cyberia,lynx,idm,sodetel

First i wonder y isn't VISP included
maybe nuc and teo can tell us bit more about those guys

anyone has experience with them..
are they new in the leb market ?

#2 February 13 2007

samer
Admin

Re: mobi

Read about them in T3 Middle East a few month back. I didn't really get the fuss about all this. Same speeds, same prices and same limitations.

#3 February 13 2007

mahdoum

Actually they're not the same speeds and they are cheaper, 256 for $50. What bites you in the ass is the setup around $200-$300 and the fact that the connections isn't too reliable, sometimes you can get great speeds and other times its not. Another annoying thing is the bandwidth limitation.

I don't have or even tested the connection but thats what I've heard from some people who have.

#4 February 13 2007

teodorgeorgiev

There is a big difference between these guys you mentioned (besides Sodetel maybe) and us. And it has been discussed in the past.
Do not expect to see us "together".

I will use some words of Rolf (though a bit modified). Now they offer "true mobile broadband".  Next month, when people will start feeling that they are screwed, some "new"
company will offer "REAL TRUE mobile broadband". And next:

"DAMN HOT TRUE mobile broadband"
"NO, NO... this time NO JOKES - DAMN HOT TRUE mobile broadband"

And I have no info on it. Looks like Samer knows, let him put some light.

Speed is not really important if download limitation is a harsh one. Give me Gigabit speeds, but if I have to pay $70 per 1MB traffic - forget it. I will only use it if I am on the beach or in the mountain (and, no I won't use any Internet there).

#5 February 13 2007

WizaRd

whats with the mountain  ?

#6 February 14 2007

mahdoum

internet in faraya, thats what he's getting at

#7 February 14 2007

rolf

Unless their traffic has a very high sharing ratio, they dont seem to be such a bad deal
http://mobi.tm/MobiSub.aspx?ID=155&MID=109&PID=85

Anyone is volunteer for testing them :) ?

I also wonder how compatible their equipment is with linux.... I guess the "desktop modem" is actually a modem/router and would be compatible... just guessing here.

Last edited by rolf (February 14 2007)

#8 March 3 2007

basssam

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

There is a big difference between these guys you mentioned (besides Sodetel maybe) and us.

why don't VISP and Sodetel interconnect together?

#9 March 4 2007

nuclearcat

With Sodetel maybe, but i guess this guys just not interested in that. We are too, if we come and ask them, they will feel suspicious, why this guys want to give access to our games and etc. But if they will ask, we are always welcome.

#10 March 5 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Bassam,

1. VISP is built by technicians
2. The majority of other ISP are built by politicians.

Technicians and politicians will NEVER THINK AND ACT IN THE SAME WAY.

I have said this before, I am saying the same now.

An example --> each ISP dedicates some money (anually or monthly) for advertising and decides how exactly this money shall be spent. We decided to spend them
for the free dial-up and the gaming network instead of hiring expensive SLUTS to show off on the TV with our logos. Or to waste tons of paper for useless
pamfletes.

#11 June 4 2007

7aRami

you can have a laugh on me guys... but I didn't know I am a subscriber @ visp untill last month! I accidently hit the "report" link in an error page and went to the visp customer page!
I have a question here to teodor, how come VISP is built by techinicians? everything here is built by politicians... how come into mish "mad3oumin" min 7adan?! honestly it is a bit hard to believe...

also, what about the free dial-up...?

#12 June 4 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Yes, what about the free dial-up? It is up and running for almost 2 years, except for a small period of one month (God bless you, Ogero! God bless your families as well).

Not everything in Lebanon is built by politicians. Indeed, almost all of the crap is built by them. There are companies in Lebanon who are
built and operated by technicians (I would refrain from posting their names here) and do their job well. Too bad they only make money for a decent living, cause in order to unleash to the levels of XXX, YYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZ, BBBB, CCCCCCC, DDDD - you need to be backed by some political "hero of the day".

#13 June 4 2007

Hybrid

VISP free dialup is perfect....... i always use it to play online games on VISP VZone........ sometimes i get connected for several hours....... the connection is stable and robust....

here's a picture i took around a month ago after playing 6 hours on Vzone:
clipboard01bm6.th.jpg

#14 June 4 2007

nuclearcat

VISP will have their service very soon on MOBI and WIGO. Actually we are already connected, just clearing up billing questions.

#15 June 5 2007

7aRami

wow sounds nice
what number do u dial for that free service? and what user/pass shall be used?

#16 June 7 2007

Hybrid

nuclearcat wrote:

VISP will have their service very soon on MOBI and WIGO. Actually we are already connected, just clearing up billing questions.

2 questions: :)
1- They will be connected to the Vzone... right?
2- Does accessing the Vzone consumes your quota?

7aRami wrote:

wow sounds nice
what number do u dial for that free service? and what user/pass shall be used?

http://www.visp.net.lb/news_more.php?ndate=060517
but of course you will still be paying ogero :)

Last edited by Hybrid (June 7 2007)

#17 June 8 2007

nuclearcat

1 - yes
2 - i think yes, it is up to wireless Data Provider. But maybe you can convience him..... to other decision.

#18 June 9 2007

teodorgeorgiev

I can bet $200 that in no way they will let free traffic to pass their networks.  They created their networks
with the idea to charge ALL the traffic passing through them.

And eeeeeven if the Earth starts to turn in her opposite direction and Mobi decides not to charge the traffic to vzone/v-enjoy, they will not be able to do it technically, as they need a Netflow-based billing system.

#19 June 9 2007

Chris

Why is all the fuss about Mobi? I saw their offers, its crap... :\

Board footer