LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 27 2016

Elied

New Macbook Pro

So I'm not sure how many of you followed the event live, but Apple just released the latest 13 and 15 inch Macbooks. They seem to be discontinuing the Macbook air in favor of a 13 inch Macbook pro with lower specs.

The new notebooks will be sporting the new Touch Bar which was rumored from as far back as June and seems fully loaded with features. I'm concerned however about the nature of the interactions between users and the bar. In the demo and ads it seemed that people were interacting in a somewhat weird and uncomfortable way(pointing one finger to press) which I can see being an annoyance for developers or anyone who cares about speed and comfort in typing.
They also increased the minimum specs for every model, as the lowest configuration now has 256Gb of flash storage, which is also 2x faster now.
New entry prices are:
1499$ for the low end 13 inch macbook
1788$ for the regular 13 inch macbook
2399$ for the 15 inch macbook

So what are your thoughts on the new notebooks and when do you think they'll be available in Lebanon, they are already available starting today in the US.

#2 October 27 2016

Salloum

Re: New Macbook Pro

Like all Apple products they're overpriced it's undeniable, but in all honesty, that Touch Bar looks amazing. It will be hard to resist this.

#3 October 28 2016

rolf

I like Apple laptop for the OS, size and feel, battery life. Not for their experimental input devices. Apple are not Nintendo, they should stick with a classic, big touchpad. I use a Macbook with the programmable click touchpad and honestly, I could not care less. Same thing for the weird gestures.

#4 October 28 2016

anayman_k7

Anyone has the detailed hardware specs? I noticed that the RAM speed is 2133mhz so the cpu could be 6th gen or 7th gen

#5 October 28 2016

Elied

CPU is 6th gen. You can see everything on the apple website since the macs are already for sale on there.
Although the entry point prices are pretty high the specs are not bad at all. Compare it to other laptops on the market with similar specs and you'll realize that they are somewhat equal in price not counting the mostly better design and ecosystem offered by apple.

#6 October 28 2016

anayman_k7

Elied wrote:

CPU is 6th gen. You can see everything on the apple website since the macs are already for sale on there.
Although the entry point prices are pretty high the specs are not bad at all. Compare it to other laptops on the market with similar specs and you'll realize that they are somewhat equal in price not counting the mostly better design and ecosystem offered by apple.

Funny thing that this echo system needs an adapter to connect to the latest usb-less Macbook Pro

#7 October 28 2016

tiny fx

well I bought the 2012 retina MacBook pro 15 when it first came out. it has been almost 5 years now and im still really happy with it. Something I cant say about other laptops that used to fail on me after ~2 years .If you don't plan on gaming why not!

#8 October 28 2016

anayman_k7

tiny fx wrote:

well I bought the 2012 retina MacBook pro 15 when it first came out. it has been almost 5 years now and im still really happy with it. Something I cant say about other laptops that used to fail on me after ~2 years .If you don't plan on gaming why not!

This is not a standard thing, my Toshiba A500-134 is 7 years old now, replaced its battery twice, still running the HDD that came with it, my little brother still use it to play Minecraft, Lenovo Thinkpads are very well built machines also.

#9 October 28 2016

Elied

anayman_k7 wrote:
Elied wrote:

Funny thing that this echo system needs an adapter to connect to the latest usb-less Macbook Pro

Or you can use Wifi/Bluetooth. To be honest it makes little sense to still sync everything through cables. Also it does have 4 usb ports, just that it's usb type C which I actually do believe is the way to go. Apple along with google have been using it extensively in a lot of their devices since it is a great all function port that can cover everything.

#10 October 28 2016

anayman_k7

Elied wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:
Elied wrote:

Or you can use Wifi/Bluetooth. To be honest it makes little sense to still sync everything through cables. Also it does have 4 usb ports, just that it's usb type C which I actually do believe is the way to go. Apple along with google have been using it extensively in a lot of their devices since it is a great all function port that can cover everything.

I'll not go in a debate, but going only type C is stupid, just like ditching the headphone 3.5mm in iPhone7, or ONLY 1 port (typeC) in the thin Macbook, the majority of the users still uses USB2.0/3.0 and 3.5mm headphone jacks and they wont be happy paying extra for adapters that will hang off your device and make it look ugly

#11 October 28 2016

Tech Guru

Very Overpriced for the Specs Apple is Offering

2016 MacBook Pro Pricing for Highest End Models – Which One Are You Getting?

http://wccftech.com/2016-macbook-pro-hi … price-tag/

#12 October 28 2016

tiny fx

well yes, of course there are other good brands, but I'm saying in general, the mac book pro build quality is far above average. The combination of material, battery life, speaker quality, screen quality and slimness while maintaining good power for a laptop makes it a worthy consideration. I have nothing but praise for mine, and if I could go back in time, I would advice myself to buy it all over again.
I want to clarify that I am not an apple fan boy, the macbook is the only apple product I own, but I will give credit where credit is due.

#13 October 28 2016

ballad

tiny fx wrote:

well yes, of course there are other good brands, but I'm saying in general, the mac book pro build quality is far above average. The combination of material, battery life, speaker quality, screen quality and slimness while maintaining good power for a laptop makes it a worthy consideration. I have nothing but praise for mine, and if I could go back in time, I would advice myself to buy it all over again.
I want to clarify that I am not an apple fan boy, the macbook is the only apple product I own, but I will give credit where credit is due.

2 years ago I wanted to get a 13" laptop for some light work and typing, at 1st I looked at all laptop brands but apple.
Most of those brands had mediocre laptops and the ones that had an ssd started at 1800$.
In the spur of the moment, I got a macbookpro mid2014 13" for 1350$ and it was one of the best products I have ever purchased.
The engineering and the quality was outstanding, the not so bad speakers, the amazing trackpad and screen and the nice battery were exceptional.
Moral of the story is that I used to blind-hate apple but now all I have is respect for them.
I won't for example get a 3500$ mac pro but I would get anyday a midrange macbook pro.

Last edited by ballad (October 28 2016)

#14 October 28 2016

nuclearcat

russian keyboard 2011
http://www.artlebedev.ru/optimus/popularis/
1922239_1000.jpg

Here is full list what apple stole from this guys:
http://tema.livejournal.com/2354335.html

#15 October 28 2016

Salloum

Doesn't matter one bit if they stole it or not, it's just a little way for people who hate Apple to feel good or something, what matters is the Touch Bar is here and it seems to be really useful in my opinion

#16 October 29 2016

tiny fx

ballad wrote:
tiny fx wrote:

2 years ago I wanted to get a 13" laptop for some light work and typing, at 1st I looked at all laptop brands but apple.
Most of those brands had mediocre laptops and the ones that had an ssd started at 1800$.
In the spur of the moment, I got a macbookpro mid2014 13" for 1350$ and it was one of the best products I have ever purchased.
The engineering and the quality was outstanding, the not so bad speakers, the amazing trackpad and screen and the nice battery were exceptional.
Moral of the story is that I used to blind-hate apple but now all I have is respect for them.
I won't for example get a 3500$ mac pro but I would get anyday a midrange macbook pro.

I agree 100%

#17 October 30 2016

rolf

Bout 5 years ago I bought an Acer laptop for $400. I am still using it, the problem is that the touch is not working since I disassembled it (cant remember why).
i have a mac for work. I like them but I like them less when I research the price!

#18 October 30 2016

Salloum

It's always the same story with Apple products. They are overpriced. And nothing can justify it because there are products that are just as durable (even though the durability of Apple products is unmatched in my opinion). But, and this is just me, as an example spending 600-700$ on a high end Android, I won't feel like I got my money's worth, but 800-900$ on an iPhone, you feel like what you bought deserves this kind of price when you use it. Same thing with laptops in my opinion. Again this is just how I look at it, others might see it differently.

#19 November 7 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Board footer