LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 9 2007

rolf

jayinferno, mobi review please

jayinferno, I know you got a mobi connection, would you please just give us a quick review... like what is your usual download speed? minimum download speed?
Thanks... come on, contribute a little!

#2 April 11 2007

Hybrid

Re: jayinferno, mobi review please

I know I'm not jayinferno, but my friend bought a MOBI account a month ago from Sodetel 64K/256K Unlimited for $80 ...
first surprise was that VAT is not included with the 80$, so it's actually 88$

i saw him using it for quite a time and
Signal strength inside his house, floor 1, near the window was normal (not low or  good)
Minimum Download speed: 20 KB/s
Maximum Download speed: ~25 KB/s
Latency was low and browsing fast
Dynamic IP

The second surprise was: 2 weeks later he tried to login but couldn't... he called Sodetel, they told him that his account has exceeded the 3GB Monthly Usage....
Then a fight occur on the phone: WTF i have an unlimited account.... no your account is 3GB limitation..... no you told me it's unlimited and you said it on your website and that it is unlimited but slower speed... no we didnt say that....
and the fight kept going on and on and on......

btw, just to clarify things, let me quote Sodetel website:

Sodetel wrote:

*As part of the « Fair Usage Policy ». Unlimited subscribers may be limited to speeds pf 16/8Kbps after 3GB for the 256Kbps and 4GB for the 512Kbps plans and after 5GB for the 1M plan

Now my friend wasn't limited with anything and in a civilized country this is called theft.... but in here no one even cares...

last week he sold the MOBI PCMCIA device for 120$ but he bought it for ~300$ because the discount wasn't effective at that time....

btw why is MOBI having a discount of 40%? because it's a failure? or DSL coming soon?  It's just weird i never saw anything with so much discount in Lebanon

Last edited by Hybrid (April 11 2007)

#3 April 11 2007

mahdoum

I honestly hate the internet in this country, this is me just coming from a holiday in Saudi and using 256k adsl and playing online with no problems.

#4 April 12 2007

duckster

in my opinion it's not worth it. and on top, the normal home broadband which i suppose they don't give out anymore, is becoming slower by the day.
they are trying to let people leave their home broadband and go for the mobi solution.
but i can tell you, i will not surrender to their tricks and will never buy the mobi.
it is always some politicians trying to make bucks 3a daherna, but this time no. not even if i stay connectionless.
pity our nation.

#5 April 12 2007

duckster

Forgot to add that a friend got the mobi, and he is a very light user. he only checks his mail yet his quota was gone by 25% first couple days.
and now you say these unlimited accounts are not even limiting users to 2 KB/sec after they reach the limit? what a theft. as if making 2kb was anything big that threatens their pocks.
the 44% discount is a failure sign. they can keep it up until 99.99%. users are not more naive.

#6 April 12 2007

nuclearcat

There is no way to make truly unlimited accounts... I tried everything, and have to change rules also :-(
The bandwidth cost in country most expensive in the world... and government dont let private communications companies to enter market. Only Ogero can sell bandwidth for ISP's.

#7 April 12 2007

teodorgeorgiev

DSL will not change anything, guys. I will say it 1000 times for the deaf and blind --> the problem of the Lebanese Internet is not the transmission media capacity (wireless, DSL, cable TV modems or dial-up), the problem is in the lack of Internet capacity. And the price
at which Ogero sells it.

The real thief is Ogero and the Lebanese MPT. And of course the government, which has been brought to power by your and your parents hands :)

Ehh... Mahmoud, pls, hold your horses whilst talking about Saudi Internet. We know it as well ;)
And we know about the popular Saudi, Yemeni (I have taken part in the implementation there) and etc filtering systems. Trust me, in some parts Lebanese Internet is better.

Btw, to hit FlyingWizard once again ... The majority of the engineers in Saudi telecom and UAE (Etisalat) are outsiders.
At least in UAE 3 of the main engineers are Bulgarians. :-D

#8 April 12 2007

mahdoum

lol teodor, filtering is no problem in saudi there are always ways around it.

#9 April 12 2007

WizaRd

Teodor, you need to get a life.

What does this blessing you cast upon us have to do with the topic of this thread.

Yes i know i give you nightmares but trust me, i dont give a crap if the technicians are bulgarians or ukranians or serbians as long as they provide us the services we want.. Maybe you guys come with a special package like "POLITICAL DECISION INCLUDED"

Quoting a genius <insert light bulb here> "the problem is in the lack of Internet capacity. And the price at which Ogero sells it. The real thief is Ogero and the Lebanese MPT"

What happened to the Ogero technicians now ? Last i checked it was not the engineers who set the prices for things like that. You are contradicting yourself my friend, so stick to one therory... Either the Ogero employees need to drop an eye on your almighty server room (does it come with internet capacity   ??) or the whole whining is about dropping the prices.

It seems to me you have issues with the Lebanese themselves. Unless you expected to be treated as a superior being just for the sake of knowing a thing or two about how things should work (theory is all you are providing us) or you see yourself as a higher ranked person just for being an OUTSIDER (you said it yourself). In all cases, you are just another technician...

And since *you* CANNOT do anything about the lebanese situation, you may want to consider to ask your 3 fellow 'main engineers' there how they managed to have the internet capacity price drop in the gulf countries, and just for the deaf and blind, my argument was , and will always be WE NEED NO SOPHISTICATED ENGINEERS, WE NEED POLITICAL DECISION

Now i really no longer see the point of stressing out such things with you since you are always going to be preaching and pretending, and another good advice for you in life, don't start crap because we've seen too many of your kind... (you started this, so don't blame me if it gets any further)

In the end. If you do not like how things are in here, you can pack your bags and leave.

P.S: make sure you lock your server room door on your way out.

#10 April 12 2007

mir

and even if we need really sophisticated engineers , there are really smart ppl in leb
ano .. ma tistakhro l libneniyeh ktir  .. to read this topic you would think kil l libneniyeh hamir

and yesterday at the meeting ... nuc offered us  to go to visp  .. but we didn't .. we could have dropped few eyes on the server room

#11 April 12 2007

battikh

in UAE, DU (new competitor of etisalat) who was recruiting few monthes ago, they were taking exclusively lebanese for the top positions, they REQUIRED lebanese. in UAE lebanese are known for being talented, very hard working and great decision makers, that's why they take good positions.
so i'm sure that even in etisalat, if there are 3 main engineers who are bulgarians, there are probably even more who are lebanese. and at DU too. the problem in lebanon is not the skills or the talent, we can be proud of our level, the problem is politics, pistons, people who get hired just because papi knows someone, ... it's just that the wrong people get hired, that's all (hired in a company, or as ministers)

#12 April 13 2007

mezin

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

Yemeni (I have taken part in the implementation there)

did you work with alcatel ?

#13 April 15 2007

teodorgeorgiev

With Alcatel products, or with the company Alcatel?

Both is - NO.

I do not like Alcatel anything of Alcatel - their phone switches (the S12), neither their softswitches (full of interopabiltity bugs), neither their DSL multiplexors.

Board footer