LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 23 2007

mir

How to Give Time for Projects !

Hi guys,

I am facing this problem at work
they ask me to do something.. and they tell me to give them a time estimate
we have lots of stuff to do .. and lots of requests. so i try giving them the fastest time
but the problem with programing is that it is hard to stick with those deadlines
cuz sometimes u don't feel smart or like working on hard subject.. u loose ur concentration.. or something unexpected happens...something that u didn't calculate...some old friend goes online... u read something on the internet.. and without intention u loose time doing dowload or reading an intresting thing
and also.. lot of time.. they start asking me to add small stuff and details..i really like adding those features for end-users.. they make the software special and those things aren't hard.. but time flies quickly

but if i give a loosy time (give myself some time for break and stuff).. if i finish the work earlier.. of course i tell them and start a new thing.. i am not the type who sits there and there are hundred thing to do

the problem is that i don't want them to have that feeling that i am giving wrong time estimate for my benefit
i want to respect deadlines...i don't want to work lot of overtimes

so the question is the following :
- how do u guys give a time estimate for things
- what u do in those days to motivate urself when u don't really feel like working on that hard problem
- what type of forms or sheets do u fill in upon tasks .. cuz i want them to know in details what i worked so they can appreciate the time spent and the effort but without spending much time filling and writing - i am already so busy -
still i want to have the freedom to spend bit of a lazy day in those days when i am tired

help.. any ideas or documents /forms are most welcomed

Last edited by mir (February 23 2007)

#2 March 6 2007

Mitzidupree

Re: How to Give Time for Projects !

If i knew the answers of these questions, i would have been working as a programmer myself too.

I agree with you on one thing (not that i don't on others) i also like to add these small features, or the "things" (i prefer calling them things) which "hit" your mind (just like that). Lovely.

And good luck.

Last edited by Mitzidupree (March 6 2007)

Board footer