LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 27 2016

ragdoll

PS4 questions

Hey there.

So as the title says, I'm getting a PS4 either tomorrow or Tuesday. Only other consoles I've owned are the PS2 (cracked/modified) and the first Wii so I'm new to the region stuff. Am I bound to any specific regions for the account according to the device itself? Which regions have the widest variety of games? And as for the PS subscriptions, where can I get them the cheapest?

Other questions might pop up here and there so I'll ask if they do.

Regards.

Edit: Oh, and I'm getting it from the UAE, if that matters.

Last edited by ragdoll (March 27 2016)

#2 March 27 2016

Tech Guru

Re: PS4 questions

@ragdoll

When you buy the  PS4 , open two accounts (one USA - main account and another for Dubai (both need different emails / usernames / registration). Bring the PS Plus Membership Card / USA and put the credits in it for online multi-playing , bring Region 2 that is widely available in Lebanon. The buyer should advice/help in that no worries.

#3 March 28 2016

ragdoll

What's the use of the UAE account if the USA account is the main one and I'm buying from it?

#4 March 28 2016

RandomMemory

Different sales. Make an LB or UAE account. If you dont have a credit card make a UAE account since most of the psn cards you can buy from stores here are for UAE.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 28 2016)

#5 March 28 2016

ragdoll

I have a debit card I can use.

#6 March 28 2016

Adnan

Here's my take if it can help you:

- 1 USA account. I don't really like the multiple account hassle.
- If you're going to buy your games from Lebanon, the region doesn't matter for playing the game. BUT if you want DLC content, the region of the CD and your account should match.
Since I have a US account I should make sure the CD is Region 1, but:

I only have 5 games until now out of which 3 I have bought directly from the Playstation Store, so I'm not sure about the availability of Region 1 CDs.

I buy US PSN cards using a prepaid card, you can use your debit card for that. I use offgamers.com, but recommend Amazon.com for extra safety (not working with me).

Although I talked about my US account setup, I recommend an European (UK) account, since it's the same region as Lebanon and the sales are more frequent there.

EDIT: Hmmm, I was thinking only in American dollars. Check transfer rates if you're going to choose a UK account.

Last edited by Adnan (March 28 2016)

#7 March 28 2016

ragdoll

Adnan wrote:

Here's my take if it can help you:

- If you're going to buy your games from Lebanon, the region doesn't matter for playing the game. BUT if you want DLC content, the region of the CD and your account should match.
Since I have a US account I should make sure the CD is Region 1, but:

I only have 5 games until now out of which 3 I have bought directly from the Playstation Store, so I'm not sure about the availability of Region 1 CDs.

I buy US PSN cards using a prepaid card, you can use your debit card for that. I use offgamers.com, but recommend Amazon.com for extra safety (not working with me).

Although I talked about my US account setup, I recommend an European (UK) account, since it's the same region as Lebanon and the sales are more frequent there.

So, in short, games work on any region but DLCs are tied to the region of the game?

And if EU is the same as our region, then it'd be easier for me to just avoid any region issues and buy the CDs from here, right?

#8 March 28 2016

Adnan

Correct. But always flip the CD case before buying to make sure it's a region 2 one. Sometimes they're region 1 (North America).

If you see Region All it actually means region 1.

What you will not find here are PSN and PS+ for European countries. You cannot use your debit card directly on the PS account because it has to be of the same country. You will need to use third party websites as I have mentioned above.

#9 March 28 2016

ragdoll

Adnan wrote:

Correct. But always flip the CD case before buying to make sure it's a region 2 one. Sometimes they're region 1 (North America).

If you see Region All it actually means region 1.

What you will not find here are PSN and PS+ for European countries. You cannot use your debit card directly on the PS account because it has to be of the same country. You will need to use third party websites as I have mentioned above.

Understood.

One last question though, where in Lebanon can you find CDs with decent prices? The standard here seems to be $75-$90 for most games.

#10 March 28 2016

Adnan

That's the dilemma, which is why I tend to choose digital copies. For not so recent games you can look for used copies. I don't know where you live but I have this Facebook page called Shadi Najjar which always seems to put good prices, never tried though.

#11 March 29 2016

ragdoll

Ah, okay. Good thing I got the 1TB model then.

Thanks a lot for the help.

#12 March 29 2016

RandomMemory

You can find used games on OLX for some really cheap prices. Sometimes 20$ for used games. The problem with digital games is that games are 50+GB.

#13 March 29 2016

NickTheQuick

I have a decent connection at home. so i opened a US account and i buy my games from the us store and i download them. even my subscription for a year cost me only 50$. the good is that u get the games for cheaper and personally i like digital games it saves u the hastle of switching CDs and stuff... so any game that i play online and buy their DLCs or in game purchases(like call of duty and fifa...) and know that i will keep i buy it from the store. other offline games (like uncharted and assassins creed) who don't have interesting or any multiplayer mode and that i don't feel the need to buy any DLCs i buy them from local stores so i can trade when i'm done. that's the best case for me

#14 March 29 2016

ragdoll

RandomMemory wrote:

You can find used games on OLX for some really cheap prices. Sometimes 20$ for used games. The problem with digital games is that games are 50+GB.

Size isn't really an issue for me since I'm usually patient with downloads and I'm on the unlimited plan from Ogero.

@NickTheQuick That's a smart way to go about it. I might go down that route as well. I just registered for a US account and I'm getting The Witcher 3 from a friend.

#15 May 25 2016

ragdoll

Hey guys, quick question: is online gaming tied to the region?

My account is in the US region, so if I were to buy, say, a region 2 physical copy of Uncharted 4, would I still be able to play online?

Regards.

#16 May 25 2016

Adnan

Yes. You can play online regardless of the regions mismatch.

#17 May 25 2016

rolf

Adnan wrote:

If you want to play split-screen with a friend and be part of an online multiplayer game you might need two PSN accounts.
Otherwise I don't think there should be much worry about region compatibility. What about the warranty, will it be valid?

#18 May 25 2016

Adnan

You can use guest accounts for temporary users.

I think the warranty is tied to the machine. But I'm not sure, I didn't have any unfortunately.

#19 May 25 2016

ragdoll

Thank Adnan.

I'm not too worried about warranty since Lebanon has about a billion shops that can fix it. Either way, I got it from the UAE so I don't think it'll apply.

#20 May 25 2016

rolf

Adnan wrote:

You can use guest accounts for temporary users.

Not if you want to go online and use PSN servers. You will need one PSN account for every user, even if the two users are on the same machine.
It's the only way I found to play online multiplayer COD 3 in split screen.

Board footer