LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 22 2007

duckster

Satellite download inquiry

Does anyone here have a satellite downlink? let's say at home.
If yes, which provider do you use, what plan, and how much does the equipment cost and where to get it.

PS: for theodor, please do not bash this thread with the usual 'it may sound cheap but it is not' etc.
I'm looking for info, and i know what is cheap or not :)

#2 February 22 2007

rolf

Re: Satellite download inquiry

haha "PS: for theodor..."
I used to have europe online a couple of years back

http://www.europeonline.com/en/ordering … vice.shtml

it's fast but the download cap is ridiculous, 500 mb!... I think it was 1gb back then... they may have reduced it?! or am i mistaken?
I still have the dish installed and the dvb reveiver card.

#3 February 22 2007

duckster

are they crazy or what? :) 500 mb per month?
so how much does such an equipment cost? and ever heard about satgate.net?
also, is simple downlink without upload legal or does it need licensing too?

#4 February 22 2007

rolf

No, downlink doesnt need any licensing.
If I recall well, I paid back then about $120 for the dish+installation and pinpointing and about $100 for the dvb PCI card. I guess it's cheaper now.

#5 February 22 2007

rolf

Never heard of satgate.net before but I checked them out and they're interesting:
http://www.satgate.net/en/services/eu1pr.php

#6 February 23 2007

duckster

I noticed many of these resellers around lebanon have hostnames ending with satgate.net, so they use it. Not sure if they provide connectivity to resellers exclusively or also to normal users.
That's why i need info.

And regarding europeonline, who did you contact to buy the dish and dvb card? and are they the ones who offer installation and pinpointing? Note that they didn't update their website for a while.

thanks rolf :)

PS: - you sure about no licensing fees?
- Do you know any end-user currently having a sat downlink? not talking about resellers.

Last edited by duckster (February 23 2007)

#7 February 23 2007

rolf

The DVB card I got through my cousin, and the guy who installed the dish I totally lost his name and number. Maybe his name was Robert? or Roger?
What you will be installing is standard satellite receiver equipment the same that is used to receive satellite tv only that it will be hooked to a pc instead of a tv, for this reason, AFAIK,  you can get any guy who installs satellite tv and tell him to install you an antenna and give him the coordinates and satellite info to pinpoint it. For the same reason I think that this equipment is legal.

do you have anyone that can get you a dvb card from outside... or maybe from lebanon?

#8 February 23 2007

duckster

Thnx for the reply rolf. No i don't have anyone right now, but I guess it's not impossible to buy such a card here. Yes i see the logic behind the downlink policy, but I just liked it to be available on some official gov website.
Now most importantly I'd like to know of some sat provider being used currently by someone here in lebanon.

I mean, limitations are becoming ridiculous. The residential boradband has a 5gb limit, which they introduced without a notice (yes, someone will come stating that it was a hidden limit and now it is announced). The mobi they introduced has a super low download limit (1.2 GB for the basic package).

#9 February 23 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
duckster is right. it is revolution time for heavy internet users!

#10 February 23 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Ok, Dark Angel, since you are a brave person on the forum...

OGERO Telecom- Bir Hassan

P.O. Box: 11-1226      LEBANON 1107 2070

Tel: 961 01 840000-  Fax: 961 01 826823

+ Lebanese MPT and Mr. Hadi Marwan

Next time I am coming to Beirut I will go there to ask them what they think they are doing. I am not afraid of them. People like them I have seen them all around Africa and Middle East.

But I have the guts to go face to face, you do not (you are only brave on the forums).

That is why I will have good Internet (with 40-50ms to all Europe and less than 100ms to USA) and that is why you will not have it. All of you.

Until you sit only on the forums and make "silent" revolutions - this is what you will have. And now you have even more than you deserve.

That is all folks. If you hate my words, you hate me cause I am right, to the last word :-D

#11 February 23 2007

nuclearcat

About satgate... many ISP's use it... but ask them, what is size of dish and cost of equipment. I dont think on this forum someone can buy DVB-S2 router (around $4000+) and 5 meter dish (to use for 8APSK modulation). Ahh... i forgot. Noone will sell you less than 512Kbit/s CIR on this carrier, which is not less than $500/month.
About other - public tariffs, it is for end-users, yes. But capacity cost on satellite is comparable with prices of internet in lebanon. If you want throw your money in air - sure you can do it. At least i must warn about it.

www.planetsky.com
www.d-v.ru (sorry russian, but they have interesting tariffs)
www.spacegate.com.ua (also possible russian)

Sorry, have to go. Just type "satellite internet" in google...
But as i told, current prices for satellite capacity same as cost for capacity in lebanon.

#12 February 23 2007

duckster

nuclearcat, as you know and mentioned, the size of the dish is determined by the geo location. So with respect to the above providers, which one would in your opinion need the cheapest equipement?
Also, I can't find the plans on planetsky, not to mention the russian site

#13 February 23 2007

nuclearcat

About dish size - there is satellite coverage map usually on website of ISP, you can check what is dish size for this specific ISP (cause each transponder, on each satellite have different "signal density" map). But if you buy 1.8m, it will be enough for most of the end-user ISP's.

About prices - Just send them email, they will answer you. Russian sites - also try to write sales@ , maybe they will be able to answer on english.

#14 February 24 2007

duckster

I was hoping a 60cm dish would be enough :) 1.8m is way too big.

Last edited by duckster (February 24 2007)

#15 February 24 2007

nuclearcat

Hehehe... 120cm i guess minimum what u need to look
But i NEVER see satellite ISP who works fine on 60cm, usually 90cm is on the edge, and for expensive ISP's.

Upd: my brain cooked, i am writing totally wrong things

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 24 2007)

Board footer