LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 20 2016

rwi

gaming laptop

Hey guys,
i want to buy my first gaming laptop, what do you think a i can get for around 1.7k? i thought about an MSI GE62 Apache pro / Asus ROG G551JW what do you recommend? and shoulders i get from here or from abroad(price difference around 600$ )

#2 March 20 2016

RandomMemory

Re: gaming laptop

Well this is the first question i ask in these threads. Why not a desktop?

#3 March 20 2016

rwi

well, i do most of my work on a computer and my work involves mobility so it has to be powerful laptop overall.

#4 March 20 2016

bermudapineapple

A laptop that is worth 1.7k abroad will be worth 2.5k here, so I definitely recommend getting something from abroad. This carries a risk, however, since your laptop might arrive defective in some way, and it will be quite expensive/complicated to have it returned and replaced. But if you want to take the risk, go ahead. MSI and Asus are the best, most reliable brands. Of the two, Asus has more history and perhaps more experience in gaming laptops. I also recommend a 17.3" gaming laptop, whatever the brand, since you need that extra space for cooling and the management of heat. As you probably know, heat is the death of all electronics, and a 15.6" gaming laptop will likely not handle heat very well. If I were to recommend a laptop, I would go either with the Asus ROG G751 or the MSI GT72. There are several variants of these two models as well. If I were you, I would get the cheapest variant that has the GTX 980m GPU.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (March 20 2016)

#5 March 20 2016

RandomMemory

rwi wrote:

well, i do most of my work on a computer and my work involves mobility so it has to be powerful laptop overall.

As tt400 said. Asus ROG G751.
IMO this is the best gaming laptop out there. Which won't overheat like your standard laptops.

#6 March 20 2016

Tech Guru

MSI GE62 Apache pro

GeForce GTX 970M (3GB)

Asus ROG G551JW (2GB or 4GB)

Both GPU have lackluster performance in current demanding AAA Titles with relatively limited VRAM , for example a fully fledged 980ti desktop variant on current tittles even on 1080p/Ultra for Rise of Tomb Raider , The Division , Hitman , AC Syndicate barely achieving a locked 60 fps even on 1080p ,and the upcoming Quantum Break.

For Gaming Laptops

Target for a minimum 980M, Core i7-6700HQ or  i7 - 4720HQ , an SSD to have a future cushion for upcoming more demanding titles in computation and VRam requirements. The MSI GE62 Apache pro is more preferable in this situation , but 3GB Vram is some how tricking for 2016 -2017 and on ...

Good Lebanese Store for Gaming Laptops with a lot of variants , and personally I prefer local purchase for desktops/laptops above 1000 USD for the local one year warranty and not entering the headache of RMAs.

http://www.macrotronics.net/index.php/c … =1&sort=2a
http://mojitech.net/shop/product-category/laptops/

#7 March 25 2016

Thrax

Best gaming laptop I've found is the current gigabyte p37 costing $1250. It's imo better than a ROG laptop -- something I've looked into very very carefully--  at the same price point due to having a more advanced processor and more memory for the graphics card. Of course some people would say that that much VRAM isn't necessary for a 970 since a laptop wouldn't require that much memory to render graphics on a 1080 screen, but it can be used on a 4K screen for example. It also doesn't have a G-sync monitor like some ROG laptops and has 2 less USB 3.0 ports. I'd suggest getting this and upgrading the components (like RAM or an EVO 950 PRO M2 module, though they're unnecessary really) with some of the leftover money (i.e. you'd be left with approximately $500 if your budget is ~$1700).

If your budget can spare about $200 more then for $1900 I'd recommend amazon DOT com/Gigabyte-P37X-SI1-i7-4720HQ-2-6GHz-Nvidia/dp/B00THK65VC which has a 980m with 8GB of vram.

I'm not suggesting ROG laptops because nobody would take them seriously in a professional environment if you ever want to turn it into a 'work laptop' you take on meetings and so on. The Gigabyte laptops are all relatively slim and aesthetic while somehow maintaining light weight (about 33% lighter than your average ROG laptop (i.e. ~6 pounds vs 8.4)). If you ever get past gaming and gaming aesthetics you'd instantly have a very high-end professional laptop if you go with Gigabyte.

#8 March 31 2016

BetterGoogleIt

I don't want to be a noob, but why nobody talked about an alienware? are they just overrated and overpriced?

#9 March 31 2016

hassansaleh31

BetterGoogleIt wrote:

I don't want to be a noob, but why nobody talked about an alienware? are they just overrated and overpriced?

i would also like to hear an answer for that

Board footer