LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 26 2015

Duath

weird psu noise

So as the tittle says my psu started to make some weird noise about a week ago. Here's the video https://youtu.be/kYFuygrh8JQ . Its an Antec HCG-620 , had it for 6 months or so, never had a problem with it until recently.The sound is louder when under load. What could be the problem ?

Last edited by Duath (September 26 2015)

#2 September 26 2015

MohammedSF

Re: weird psu noise

Either it comes from the fan while it revs at low speeds, or it's a relay loosing it's electrical connection..

Check the fan and clean it using a blower, if it's not the fan it's very risky to use that UPS before replacing that bad relays.

#3 September 26 2015

Duath

MohammedSF wrote:

Either it comes from the fan while it revs at low speeds, or it's a relay loosing it's electrical connection..

Check the fan and clean it using a blower, if it's not the fan it's very risky to use that UPS before replacing that bad relays.

I see. I will try cleaning it and see what happens.

#4 September 27 2015

Anthony2000

Sounds like a bad fan to me. i know what electrical sounds in a PSU sound like, happened to me, it started blue screening my PC not long after.

#5 September 28 2015

Tech Guru

@MohammedSF

Is using an AirBlower create a static electricity on the computer components , I advice an Air Compressed Can (From Katranji) to clean up the PSU that I usually use.

#6 September 28 2015

nosense

Tech Guru wrote:

@MohammedSF

Is using an AirBlower create a static electricity on the computer components , I advice an Air Compressed Can (From Katranji) to clean up the PSU that I usually use.

I can't stress this enough, I once cleaned my pc with an air blower and it was hell for couple days (sudden shutdowns)

#7 October 3 2015

MohammedSF

Tech Guru wrote:

@MohammedSF

aliessayli2 wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

@MohammedSF

I can't stress this enough, I once cleaned my pc with an air blower and it was hell for couple days (sudden shutdowns)

Yup that's a bad idea for non grounded systems, maybe that's why i never had a problem using a vacuum cleaner or a blower to clean up because i always connect to a ground line.

#8 October 5 2015

Duath

ok guys so I did try to clean it, although it was not dusty at all, with no luck, so I just decided to replace it , pcandparts agreed to refund .
So now ,I'm going to choose a modular one, but it seems pcandparts is short on power supplies, not so many options. Should I go for the Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750W PSU  or Cooler Master  V750 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular ?
If none of the above are a  good option I'll choose a non modular if i have to, this one Corsair CMPSU-750CXv3 750W PSU 80 PLus Bronze . So any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Duath (October 6 2015)

#9 October 6 2015

Die_Kapitan

Duath wrote:

ok guys so I did try to clean it, although it was not dusty at all, with no luck, so I just decided to replace it , pcandparts agreed to refund .
So now ,I'm going to choose a modular one, but it seems pcandparts is short on power supplies, not so many options. Should I go for the Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750W PSU  or Cooler Master  V750 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular ?
If none of the above are a  good option I'll choose a non modular if i have to, this one Corsair CMPSU-750CXv3 750W PSU 80 PLus Bronze . So any help is appreciated.

I'd go for the CM V750, best of the bunch, it's practically new, unlike the Toughpower, and very reliable, unlike the CX.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (October 6 2015)

#10 October 6 2015

Tech Guru

Both Are Good , but the good part in the Cool Masters V Series it has teamed up  has teamed up with Seasonic -  based on Seasonic’s  KM3 platform Corsair's AX760 and AX 860 PSUs utilize.

I have been using the tough power 850 Watts (fully modular edition) , very stable too.

However, If I want to invest in a new PSU or replace mine if it get damaged / unstable Ill go with Corsair  RM650 or Corsair  RM1000 (SLI /Cross Fire Configurations) - a Tier 1 PSU

http://www.macrotronics.net/product_inf … 650-p-8643

But your case is different , since your PSU is from PSU

Last edited by Tech Guru (October 6 2015)

#11 October 6 2015

Duath

I ordered the cm v750. Thanks all

#12 October 6 2015

silo_m8

Tech Guru wrote:

Both Are Good , but the good part in the Cool Masters V Series it has teamed up  has teamed up with Seasonic -  based on Seasonic’s  KM3 platform Corsair's AX760 and AX 860 PSUs utilize.

I have been using the tough power 850 Watts (fully modular edition) , very stable too.

However, If I want to invest in a new PSU or replace mine if it get damaged / unstable Ill go with Corsair  RM650 or Corsair  RM1000 (SLI /Cross Fire Configurations) - a Tier 1 PSU

Stay away from the Corsair RM1000 series,  I had the one you mentioned and it melted itself due to a bug in the firmware, the fans didn't turn at the right temperature.  If you're worried about stability, i can recommend the enermax platimax series, but they come at a premium

#13 October 6 2015

Die_Kapitan

Tech Guru wrote:

RM series PSUs are bad, personally I wouldn't put a Corsair PSU in my rig, their low-end junk is just one step above grey box fire hazards (CX, VS and CS), their mid-range PSUs are either bad (RM), overpriced (RMi and RMx) or neither but is discontinued (GS, HX and TX) and their high-end ones are very overpriced (AX, AXi, HXi). Get an EVGA SuperNova GS/G2/P2, XFX XTR, Seasonic X Series, Cyonic AUx, Cooler Master V Series, Antec High Current Pro/HCP Platinum/EDGE, be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10/11, Super Flower Leadex or Kingwin Lazer Platinum instead.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (October 6 2015)

Board footer