LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 25 2006

Halo

Anyone here play guitar?

I've been playing for around a year or so... I play Electric, Acoustic, Classic, and even Bass.

I can strum, I know billions of chords, but I like fingerpicking better, it sounds more impressive than strumming, sure strumming sounds good and its easier than finger picking but finger picking's got those impressive bends and hammer ons and slides

Maybe I can upload some movies for you guys to see me playing the guitar ( electric probably, I like playing it the most ).

I can play all of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, it's kind of old but it's very nice, I can play the intro, chorus, verses, even the solos, you name it

#2 December 26 2006

samer
Admin

Re: Anyone here play guitar?

Cool,

what about music theory and composition/improvisation? or you're only into tab-learning?
Anyway, good luck! i'll be more than happy if you upload a vid :) (on youtube, perhaps?)

PS: iam a keyboard player myself. ^^

#3 December 26 2006

battikh

yiii samer, ana kamain i play keyboard, enno i type on it and sometimes i play beit byout with it, so basically, yes, i play with my keyboard. my keyboard is my only true friend.

#4 December 26 2006

Halo

At the moment I'm into tab learning

Yeah sure I'll upload a vid on Youtube, but right now I've gt 16 kbps upload so, you know, uploading a 20 meg file will take quite a while with that, and I don't know why but when I upload and leave it over night it doesn't upload the whole file, it stops like before the middle of it.

When I was really young I used to play keyboard, but I wasn't really good or anything, I could only play like Jingle Bells and stuff like that. I remember Mary Had A Little Lamb was very easy to play  Anyway, what can you play on the keyboard?

#5 December 26 2006

samer
Admin

yiii samer, ana kamain i play keyboard, enno i type on it and sometimes i play beit byout with it, so basically, yes, i play with my keyboard. my keyboard is my only true friend.

i thought Google was your only true friend, tsk tsk

Anyway, what can you play on the keyboard?

composition/improvisation i don't learn songs (or at least don't learn them completly) ; I usually take the cords and make something new out of them :)

#6 December 26 2006

teodorgeorgiev

I was studying classic guitar at school (italian classic - 4 years). And keyboard (piano) as a second instrument. I have a classic bulgarian "Cremona" guitar and a new Yamaha DJX synth.
But my guitar style is much better :)

You should know the music theory, otherwise you should know all the chords only as position (not the way they are built-on by the scale (as an example).

"Fingerpicking" is for solo, chords are for the accompaniment, so both sound pretty good if they are on their right place

At my time it was not allowed to study rock and similar music (any pro-western) at school.
Beatles was prohibited (the only 3 songs included in our lessons were "Yesterday", "A girl", "I've just seen a face), so were Rolling Stones, Judas Priest, Guns and Roses...

If someone wants, I have here a good book on PDF "Piano for dummies".
At least the music theory (Cleffs, scales, building chords) are covered very well there.

#7 December 27 2006

Halo

All I play is rock actually, sometimes I also play country on the classic, but Guns And Roses have some pretty good songs, Knocking on Heaven's Door has both fingerpicking and strumming in it. You still play, teodor, or did you stop a bit? I didn't take classes on guitar, most of my learning has come from the internet on websites like about.com and by watching videos on youtube.com. I practice a lot, probably 1-2 hours everyday.

Normally strumming brings the ryhtym to the song, I mean, most of the time when show like some of my friends me playing guitar I strum for them because I think they will find it more enjoyable to listen to but when I show someone that plays guitar I would fingerpick because I'm sure almost every guitar player knows that strumming is easier than fingerpicking ( in most cases )

One time I played my friend Master Of Puppets by Metallica, it is a very fast song to play, you got to be quick on the fret board, but the only string you really got to use is the bass, so my friend got unimpressed lol, and it is a very hard song to play, then I strum him Around The World and he calls me a pro

I think that strumming sounds better on classical guitar than electric and that fingerpicking sounds better on electric than classic

#8 December 27 2006

teodorgeorgiev

I stopped playing at 1998. It was hard to study so many things at once.
Then 8 months before I decided to start playing again. I took from my home my old guitar + the big song book and bought a Yamaha DJX - an old keyboard, 5 octaves, but I am using merely as a piano (here is my baby --> http://www.clixdesign.de/djx.jpg).

Btw, I saw yesterday in the City Mall (in the toys section) they sell some good toy-keyboards (maybe the sound is not a professional), with 4 octaves for about 90,000L. I really miss my Yamaha, not not that much to buy this toy just to use it for 2 weeks.

You should go into classic. The italian classic (Fernando Carulli, Bocherini, Matheo Carcassi, Bach - but his songs are hard to play on the guitar) sounds great on a classic guitar. I wish I had here my notebook to make a copy for you.

Try the "November rain" of Guns and Roses, they have also a good solo. Try also Eric Clapton,
this guy makes awesome things just with his classic guitar. Cranberries too.

I wish I had 1-2 hours per day to use my guitar/keyboard :(

#9 December 27 2006

Halo

November Rain... I'll remember that, I'm going to need to download it on Limewire today

Well, I'm still in my teenage years and I got lots of time lately, so I guess I'm going to use this time wisely before I grow up like everyone else and I won't have that much free time anymore

I agree, Eric Clapton has a lot of nice songs with his classical guitar, for example, Classical Gas, but Tears In Heaven is an amazing song.

Board footer