LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 5 2006

mir

Firefox vs Opera !

hey guys
just wanted to know ur feedback
which one is ur favorite and why

did u try both of them ?

i think lot have firefox
on www.opera.com there is a huge button with free download on it for  opera 9.0.1

yalla check it out and give a reasonable feedback

as for me (eh! i am answering my own question this time)
i prefer
Opera, it has the options  that firefox has plus much more !

to explain myself some of the feature :
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

here are the ones i find intresting :

BitTorrent
You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.

Sessions
Save a collection of open tabs as a session, for later retrieval, or start with the pages you had open when Opera was last closed. demo

Thumbnail preview
It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.

IRC chat
Communicate with people all over the world using Opera's IRC chat client. Chat privately or in rooms, or share files with your friends and family.
Voice

Voice
The voice feature allows you to control Opera's interface by talking and to have documents read aloud. Voice is currently offered in English and runs on Windows 2000 and XP.

Trash can
If you accidentally close a tab, you can retrieve it from the trash can. This also works for blocked pop-ups that you may want.

halla2 there are a lot of good ones .. widget and stuff
but i am not copy pasting it all .. visit the link

yalla waiting for ur feedback :)

#2 September 5 2006

battikh

Re: Firefox vs Opera !

i used to use opera the days i was connected to teh internet via gprs. there was a button that let you switch easily from browsing with pictures to without pictures. this way you spare a lot of kilobytes, ya3neh doularat...
bass now i use only firefox, have'nt use opera for the past 2 years, i dont use most of the options it had at the time, but since it seems there are new stuff, i'll try it right now...

#3 September 5 2006

samer
Admin

Sessions
Save a collection of open tabs as a session, for later retrieval, or start with the pages you had open when Opera was last closed. demo

SessionSaver plugin for firefox 1.5 or built-in feature for the next major firefox release.

Thumbnail preview
It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.

plug-in available for the 'fox.

IRC chat
Communicate with people all over the world using Opera's IRC chat client. Chat privately or in rooms, or share files with your friends and family.
Voice

bleh, who needs an IRC client in a freakin' browser =S

and almost everything else you mentioned is available as a plug-in.

Here's how i see things:

- opera renders pages faster than firefox (a few ms faster)
- opera has an eye-candy GUI.
- firefox is open-source.
- firefox has thousands of plug-ins.
- both support web standards and only have a few glitches with CSS and DOM.

Bottom-line: it's all up to YOU and what YOU look in a browser. I have both on my computer but I generally use Firefox.

also, I love opera mini for my mobile phone :)

#4 September 5 2006

mahdoum

opera all the way, glad to finally know someone else likes opera more then firefox here  YAY lol

btw opera has more features then firefox, yet its download size is smaller then firefox. also opera opens much quicker then firefox does.

Anyway mir have you messed with mouse gestures? they are by far the best feature in opera

#5 September 5 2006

mezin

opera has a crappy name so i use firefox which sounds more kewl

#6 September 5 2006

samer
Admin

btw opera has more features then firefox

Everything is included in Firefox, they are either built-in or available as extensions.

Anyway, like I said before, it's all about your personal taste I guess.

#7 September 6 2006

mahdoum

Samer wrote:

Everything is included in Firefox, they are either built-in or available as extensions.

You misunderstood, i was talking about firefox as an installation, it has less features then opera as an installation, but still manages to have a bigger download size?

#8 September 6 2006

zis

Samer wrote:

- both support web standards and only have a few glitches with CSS and DOM.

Actually no, Opera is the only browser that passed the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID2">ACID2</a> Test..

For me it's much faster than firefox and uses less memory. Of course you can add many features to firefox through extensions but most of them are badly written and slow the browser considerably or cause memory leaks.

#9 September 6 2006

mir

yes the browsing with pics or without pic is nice also

bleh, who needs an IRC client in a freakin' browser =S

some ppl do.. but not me

For me it's much faster than firefox and uses less memory. Of course you can add many features to firefox through extensions but most of them are badly written and slow the browser considerably or cause memory leaks.

well that is somehow true
ano if we want to add plug-Ins all day long.. then we will be comparing plugins not the original browsers
and who knows what is in those plugins.. i am not gonna read it and look for possible problem

can you link me to the above plug in that u mentioned exist
i will download them and use them with my firefox
i am still using both :)

eh mahdoum ... now you can sing "I finally found someone ! "
but the Geeky version
I finally found some
who browses every night
i finally found someone
who does not prefer firefox

#10 September 6 2006

samer
Admin

ano if we want to add plug-Ins all day long.. then we will be comparing plugins not the original browsers

It's usually just a few essential plug-ins depending on what you use your brower for.

and who knows what is in those plugins.. i am not gonna read it and look for possible problem

Ha? they're hosted at mozdev and test by hundreds!

#11 September 8 2006

mir

i downloaded plug-Ins.. they are really nice

what i said, was stupid.  they are tested by hundreds :)

so i am now using both..firefox and Opera

#12 September 8 2006

rolf

I use lynx

#13 September 9 2006

samer
Admin

Rolf, you're too leet to be true =P Actually, lynx is quite useful for slow connections and those who have a limited bandwidth. I also use it for testing a new layout (to make sure everything is in order).

#14 September 10 2006

mezin

IE rulz 666

#15 December 25 2006

Halo

I like how Opera shows you the speed of your connection loading the page down on the status bar, and, unlike Firefox, you can stop and continue downlads later with it.

#16 December 26 2006

samer
Admin

IE rulz 666

ROFL

@halo: firefox has multiple extensions that handle downloading, I recommend DownthemAll [www.downthemall.net]

#17 December 26 2006

Halo

Thanks Samer, going to download

The thing I like about Firefox is Adblock, does Opera have Adblock also?

#18 December 26 2006

samer
Admin

Halo, make sure you check out NoScript as well ; it blocks javascript and flash. Though i like the flashblock approach : " click-to-activate".

Board footer