LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 1 2015

nosense

Buying a PS4

I'm thinking about getting a ps4 but need some info

1- can I buy the games online and download digitally?
2- are there any regoin restrictions
3- what do I need to play online? ps plus?

Thanks

#2 July 1 2015

Anthony2000

Re: Buying a PS4

1- yes
2-no
3-yes (50 dollars yearly)

Last edited by Anthony2000 (July 1 2015)

#3 July 2 2015

nosense

how much do games cost and is it worth it? I have a pc which can run pretty much everything but I feel the console experience is better for fifa 16,  I played fifa on pc since 2012

Last edited by nosense (July 2 2015)

#4 July 2 2015

AVOlio

If you have a PC that can run anything, i say its not worth it.
Only reason to get a PS4 for me, is for example to play exclusives like Infamous second son etc...
Buy fifa 16 on Origin, and then connect a dualshock controller on your pc, thats it.
Waste of money if you already have a pc.

#5 July 2 2015

nosense

AVOlio wrote:

Only reason to get a PS4 for me, is for example to play exclusives like Infamous second son etc...
Buy fifa 16 on Origin, and then connect a dualshock controller on your pc, thats it.

I have fifa 15 on origin and a dual shock 3, but the pc online experience for fifa is getting ridiculous with hackers all over the place,  and how easy it is to manipulate the games and EA doesn't give a shit about cheaters,  on PSN cheaters are alot less.

also the ability of creating as many accounts as you want,  not like pc you are stuck with 1 origin account that the game is on. so you can lend and borrow games and play online with your account

Last edited by nosense (July 2 2015)

#6 July 2 2015

Anthony2000

aliessayli2 wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

I have fifa 15 on origin and a dual shock 3, but the pc online experience for fifa is getting ridiculous with hackers all over the place,  and how easy it is to manipulate the games and EA doesn't give a shit about cheaters,  on PSN cheaters are alot less.

also the ability of creating as many accounts as you want,  not like pc you are stuck with 1 origin account that the game is on. so you can lend and borrow games and play online with your account

if you have friends on PSN and could play together, do it. if not, buying a console just to play one game isn't worth it in my opinion , especially fifa since it's the COD of sports games if you know what i mean.

#7 July 2 2015

nosense

Anthony2000 wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

if you have friends on PSN and could play together, do it. if not, buying a console just to play one game isn't worth it in my opinion , especially fifa since it's the COD of sports games if you know what i mean.

umm not its not,  I play fifa for the ultimate team mode,  building a squad,  market trading for profit,  sniping for low and selling high,  player updates releases each week if a player performs good in real life they release a card with increased stats and much more, I wasted so many hours of my life on ultimate team lol.

anw not to go out of topic,  what are some other interesting games for a console? other than fps since I don't like these without a mouse and keyboard

#8 July 2 2015

Die_Kapitan

aliessayli2 wrote:

umm not its not,  I play fifa for the ultimate team mode,  building a squad,  market trading for profit,  sniping for low and selling high,  player updates releases each week if a player performs good in real life they release a card with increased stats and much more, I wasted so many hours of my life on ultimate team lol.

Have you tried Football Manager on PC ? That game is dope, much better than FIFA, if you don't mind not playing the match.

#9 July 3 2015

nosense

Die_Kapitan wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

Have you tried Football Manager on PC ? That game is dope, much better than FIFA, if you don't mind not playing the match.

actually they are two different games,  I never tried it but I hear it's the best football manager game,  maybe I'll give it a try sometime

#10 July 3 2015

Die_Kapitan

aliessayli2 wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

actually they are two different games,  I never tried it but I hear it's the best football manager game,  maybe I'll give it a try sometime

I know they're different games, hence why I said "if you don't mind not playing the match". About getting a PS4, you really shouldn't, as you're buying it for just one game, especially since that game is available with all its features on PC, get a DualShock 4, an Xbox 360 controller or an Xbone controller as all three of them are better than the DualShock 3.

#11 July 3 2015

Adnan

When is the price of the PS4 estimated to go down ? I'm looking to buy one but it's too expensive compared to its official price.

#12 July 3 2015

Tech Guru

@aliessayli2

Go for a PS4 - better online experience for Fifia compared to the PC

One year and two months ago I got a PS4 + Two Joysticks + Two Games + 1 Year PS Plus Membership + a 1200 VA UPS to protect from Electricity shocks + a 3 Months Shop Warranty  = USD 800 from Nino Store - Mala Area.

Plus he has the policy exchange:

Old by Old  = Difference USD 15
Old by New (Depending how Old the Game) = Difference between 30 - 40 USD

As such games will not accumulate and collect dust at your room when you complete a game.

PS4 Exclusives are Great:

-BloodBorne (10/10 Master Piece Exclusive) must have in addition to the upcoming Exclusive: Uncharted 4

Other Good Ones
-The Order: 1886
-Infamous: First Light
-DriveClub
-The Last of Us: Remastered

Note: I own both - a High End Gaming PC is great for Graphics Fidelity / Higher Solutions / More Advance Graphic Technology (Direct X versions advancements , NVidia Game Work ...) / High Computer Power / Cheaper Steam Games / Free Online Gaming / Cracked Games (Not Online except for Project Cars)

The PS4 Exclusive are great / Better Online Experience.

Nice to Have both Frankly  - but do not come close to the Xbox one hahha

Last edited by Tech Guru (July 4 2015)

#13 July 4 2015

Die_Kapitan

Tech Guru wrote:

Other Good Ones
-The Order: 1886

The Order: 1886 is just a glorified movie.

#14 July 4 2015

nosense

@Tech guru thanks for your input,  the main reason is that I want to play fifa and if you see on r/fifa there are many players with the same issues as me,  and EA doesn't give a shit,  I will wait and see what will change in the fifa 16 version before I buy it.

#15 July 10 2015

Deuterium28

@aliessayli2

PS4 is a solid choice. At the end, however, it's all up to whether you are willing to spend the money or not (around $570 from Nino for PS4 + 2 controllers + game, plus an additional $50 for online gaming). You may need a UPS as suggested above as well (I bought a used UPS for $20 from a random store).

Now one extra benefit you may account for, is that the $50 for PS+ (allowing online gaming), include a minimum of 2 free games a month (typically small scale indie games - albeit some are REALLY good games); on average, however, you end up getting an average of 4 free games a month. You still get AAA games once in every blue moon (every 6 months maybe) (until now, the 2 AAA games I'm aware of are small scale AAA games).

So take all of those into account before making a purchase.

But is it a good choice? Yes. I love playing games on PC, but consoles gives you the flexibility of "couch-gaming". And the PS4 is the leading console in terms graphics (if FIFA is all you want to play we can ignore the differences between PS4 and Xbox One).

~Deut

EDIT: The games you get with PS+ aren't really "free", but technically bundled with the $50/year that you pay for PS+.

Last edited by Deuterium28 (July 10 2015)

#16 July 11 2015

silo_m8

Deuterium28 wrote:

@aliessayli2
But is it a good choice? Yes. I love playing games on PC, but consoles gives you the flexibility of "couch-gaming".

Just dropping by to say that "couch gaming" isn't exclusive to consoles if you have a wireless gamepad or a gamepad with a long cable. (talking from experience)

Last edited by silo_m8 (July 11 2015)

#17 July 21 2015

Deuterium28

@silo_m8

True to some extent. You don't even need a cable (you can use the PS3 and PS4 controllers wirlessly using bluetooth on a PC; first-time setup can be a 15-20 minute hassle though -- you need to know that not %100 of Bluetooth dongles work with those controlelrs though, in case you're interested); you can even use the PS4 trackpad as a mouse in that situation.

There's a "but".. don't PC games (specially FPS) handle aiming differently than their console counterparts (where aiming is made feasible due to auto-aim and bullet-magnetism? I think that would be a setback to PC couch-gaming since without the assists, aiming with a gaming pad is just terribly hard. Other than that, I agree with your statement; although, however, console gaming adds a further laziness element to couch gaming given that games are plug-and-play where you just put in a disc, wait a few minutes (maybe hours if you care about updates) and start playing; no troubleshooting, no worrying about perfecting preferences to balance frames-per-second and graphics, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of PC gaming specially for MOBA and FPS, but sometimes I just enjoy the hassle-free life of consoles (except when, you know, PlayStation servers do their casual fails every month or so).

~Deut

#18 July 22 2015

silo_m8

Deuterium28 wrote:

@silo_m8

There's a "but".. don't PC games (specially FPS) handle aiming differently than their console counterparts (where aiming is made feasible due to auto-aim and bullet-magnetism? I think that would be a setback to PC couch-gaming since without the assists, aiming with a gaming pad is just terribly hard. Other than that, I agree with your statement; although, however, console gaming adds a further laziness element to couch gaming given that games are plug-and-play where you just put in a disc, wait a few minutes (maybe hours if you care about updates) and start playing; no troubleshooting, no worrying about perfecting preferences to balance frames-per-second and graphics, etc...

A big chunk of the games that have official support for Xbox360 controller have aim assist such as:
Titanfall
Gta v
Max Payne 3
Bioshock infinite
Saints row 3/4
Dishonored
Metro last light
Borderlands 2
Cod ghosts

I personally played bioshock on hard with a controller (only because the mouse controls had awful mouse acceleration)  and played the tomb raider on hard without any assists and enjoyed myself immensely.

Just don't expect to play multiplayer games with aim assist because of balance issues.

You listed the hassle of setting up a pc as a big con, i see it as a small con compared to the benefits :
It doubles as a home theater pc
You can stream media, you can stash your whole library of movies and series and access them on the go.
Also the better graphical experience of the pc is definitely better.

Not saying it's for everyone,  but if you are leaning towards a pc, don't let those cons stop you.

#19 July 22 2015

Deuterium28

@silo_m8

I still play some games on PC from time to time (although I need to upgrade to a more powerful one). And I thought Bioshock would be one game people would want to play on keyboard and mouse since I hated how much hassle it was to switch between abilities on a gamepad (I wasn't aware about the acceleration though).

** unrelated to the thread **

As you might find this interesting, I have an old laptop which I have setup as a home theater server connected by HDMI to one of my TVs and broadcasting all media content over my Wi-Fi so that I can access them on the other TVs at home, laptops and playstation: "Kodi" as user interface for the media (to use on the TV to which it's connected) and UPnP server to stream the media over Wi-Fi, "Filebot" using Automated Media Center (AMC) script to fetch downloaded files, rename them and arrange them into folders automatically and an automatic downloader for my series and movies (which is also connected to my Dropbox account so I can initiate any downloads that I have not enabled as automatic remotely from my phone). I thought you might find this interesting if you haven't delved into this area yet. It's a 2-hour hassle to setup, but afterwards, you just enjoy your hands-free media center.

~Deut

EDIT: Kodi's UPnP can be a bit clumsy so I'm currently looking at alternatives for a UPnP server software.

Last edited by Deuterium28 (July 22 2015)

Board footer