LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 25 2015

Anthony2000

huge game sizes

hello guys and i was just about to buy the witcher 3 and GTA 5 and some other games to play on my PC, and then i remembered my horrible download speeds that hover from 40 to 190 kb/s + my download cap that will screw me over. so i have seen people get the game files pirated from shops and install them without the included crack, buy the game key online, and just install the updates and they are good to go. i am really planning to do this, so i need some help and i need someone who has done this to walk me through it and answer my questions:

-where do i buy the cd key(what site)?
-will it 100% work?
-are there any disadvantages to it or will it be identical to the original retail version of the game ?

Thanks!

#2 June 25 2015

bermudapineapple

Re: huge game sizes

Buy the game from Steam just like any other game, start the download but pause it. Then go buy a pirated version of the game and install it on your HDD. Then copy what has been installed into your steamapps folder and resume the download on Steam. It should detect the game files and the download should jump to 100 percent. You may have to download patches, however.

It should work.

The only disadvantage I can think of is the risk of malware with the pirated data but if you have a good and up to date AM you should be fine.

#3 June 25 2015

Anthony2000

im gonna pass by a shop tmrw and see what he has in stock(hopefully the witcher 3) and try this out, seems pretty straightforward. i dont think i will run into any malware issues (never have) but i have malwarebytes just in case. Thank you a ton!

#4 June 25 2015

geekevo

Any malware or virus is definitely a false positive don't let it detter you.
Source: Have been using these disks for more than 6 years and i'm clean as a whistle.

#5 June 25 2015

gamingindex

-i buy my keys from kinguin.net with skrill or cashu
-not always it depends on the game sometimes with big updates youll have to download almost the full game
-no disadvantage as all the original files will replace the bad ones

#6 June 26 2015

NAM

For the witcher 3 please notice that the GOG version doesn't have DRM and any copy will work as if original .. only the updates are for paid users and they are also torrented on daily basis .. If you want to buy the witcher 3 .. please buy it from GOG.com

#7 June 26 2015

Anthony2000

NAM wrote:

For the witcher 3 please notice that the GOG version doesn't have DRM and any copy will work as if original .. only the updates are for paid users and they are also torrented on daily basis .. If you want to buy the witcher 3 .. please buy it from GOG.com

but i want the updates and the free dlc and all that good stuff + i plan to buy the paid expansions once they come out, and i have no experience with GOG whatsoever, so i prefer to stick with steam.

#8 June 26 2015

Die_Kapitan

Anthony2000 wrote:
NAM wrote:

but i want the updates and the free dlc and all that good stuff + i plan to buy the paid expansions once they come out, and i have no experience with GOG whatsoever, so i prefer to stick with steam.

GOG are a very good site, they're trustworthy not like most G2A sellers.

There are some developers that compress the game files so that you have to download less, you just download, uncompress and you have your game.

#9 June 26 2015

AVOlio

Out of topic.
I don't understand all the fuss about the Witcher 3 from the beginning.
I downloaded it, played it, until the mission where I kill that flying Eagle thingy.
And since then, I haven't played it yet.
Anyway, if you want the files, contact me and we'll make an arrangement. (mine is a torrent not the official files, but it will work just fine)

#10 June 26 2015

Anthony2000

AVOlio wrote:

Out of topic.
I don't understand all the fuss about the Witcher 3 from the beginning.
I downloaded it, played it, until the mission where I kill that flying Eagle thingy.
And since then, I haven't played it yet.
Anyway, if you want the files, contact me and we'll make an arrangement. (mine is a torrent not the official files, but it will work just fine)

no, it's okay, i will just pick them up from my local store tomorrow, less of a hassle. I played the Witcher 1 and 2 so i just can not miss out on the Witcher 3!       one of my favorite series. if you haven't played the previous games you wont have as much fun because the story is chained and completed through the Witcher 1-2-3.

#11 June 26 2015

Aly

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/268-b … wild-hunt/ has it for 25.96$ (Trusted site and I bought many games from them so far), you can also dig more and find it for a cheaper price.

#12 June 26 2015

gamingindex

If someone interested with a gog acc containing witcher 3 deluxe edition (plus i have the files) im selling mine for 20$

#13 June 26 2015

Die_Kapitan

I wonder how will we be able to download Star Citizen when it comes out, it's more than 100GB.

#14 June 27 2015

bermudapineapple

Die_Kapitan wrote:

I wonder how will we be able to download Star Citizen when it comes out, it's more than 100GB.

Wow, that is pathetic. I understand game developers want to put the prettiest textures in their games but that is far too much.

#15 June 27 2015

NAM

tt400 wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

Wow, that is pathetic. I understand game developers want to put the prettiest textures in their games but that is far too much.

It is not only graphics but the open world size is huuuuuuuggggggeeeeeee

#16 June 29 2015

Anthony2000

tt400 wrote:

Buy the game from Steam just like any other game, start the download but pause it. Then go buy a pirated version of the game and install it on your HDD. Then copy what has been installed into your steamapps folder and resume the download on Steam. It should detect the game files and the download should jump to 100 percent. You may have to download patches, however.

It should work.

The only disadvantage I can think of is the risk of malware with the pirated data but if you have a good and up to date AM you should be fine.

copied all the game files to SteamApps/common and it didn't detect the files .... help?

#17 June 29 2015

Anthony2000

Anthony2000 wrote:
tt400 wrote:

It should work.

copied all the game files to SteamApps/common and it didn't detect the files .... help?

oh sh#t , after taking a good look at the files of the game, i discovered it was a GOG version , no wonder steam didn't detect it. should i go for a refund and get it from GOG instead?

#18 June 29 2015

NAM

Anthony2000 wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:
tt400 wrote:

It should work.

oh sh#t , after taking a good look at the files of the game, i discovered it was a GOG version , no wonder steam didn't detect it. should i go for a refund and get it from GOG instead?

GOG is very easy and the games are DRM free (you can share them with friends for free) .. but if you are a steam fan go for the refund

#19 June 29 2015

Anthony2000

NAM wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:

GOG is very easy and the games are DRM free (you can share them with friends for free) .. but if you are a steam fan go for the refund

went for the refund and got my money back, and i decided i will just torrent the patches (already torrented 3, they work perfectly) and all the dlc and expansions since it seems that my copy of the game is compatible with the stuff uploaded on pirate bay (all GOG). I'm good to go! Thanks guys... and although i didn't want to go the pirating path (and wouldn't have if the copy i bought was a steam version not GOG) i just prefer steam over any other

Last edited by Anthony2000 (June 29 2015)

#20 June 29 2015

NAM

GOG has free dlcs and i am not sure about steam but what i am sure of is expansions are not free for either

#21 June 30 2015

Die_Kapitan

Anthony2000 wrote:
NAM wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:

went for the refund and got my money back, and i decided i will just torrent the patches (already torrented 3, they work perfectly) and all the dlc and expansions since it seems that my copy of the game is compatible with the stuff uploaded on pirate bay (all GOG). I'm good to go! Thanks guys... and although i didn't want to go the pirating path (and wouldn't have if the copy i bought was a steam version not GOG) i just prefer steam over any other

Pirating is bad, dude, buy the game from GOG, they're trusted and have very good customer support, you've paid for the Steam edition, so you have the money. The only case when it's tolerated (at leaast by my standard) pirate is to try the game, or if it's made by Relic.

#22 June 30 2015

Anthony2000

Die_Kapitan wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:
NAM wrote:

Pirating is bad, dude, buy the game from GOG, they're trusted and have very good customer support, you've paid for the Steam edition, so you have the money. The only case when it's tolerated (at leaast by my standard) pirate is to try the game, or if it's made by Relic.

will it 100% detect the files if i buy the game? because if it doesn't i'm screwed because i don't think GOG offers refunds...

Last edited by Anthony2000 (June 30 2015)

#23 June 30 2015

Kazouza

Anthony2000 wrote:

will it 100% detect the files if i buy the game? because if it doesn't i'm screwed because i don't think GOG offers refunds...

They do offer refunds, for 30 days.
From their website:

Whenever you buy something and it doesn't work,
 you should feel safe knowing that you can take it back.

We don't understand why games or movies should be any different,
 so if your purchase doesn't work and we can't help you fix it, you get your money back.

Our Money Back Guarantee covers you for 30 days.

Last edited by Kazouza (June 30 2015)

Board footer