LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 30 2015

hkbazzi

CS:GO ping spikes on Steam

in the middle of my game, suddenly steam would start spiking the ping because of the bootstrapper and client webhelper start downloading in the background, anyone has a fix for this?

#2 May 30 2015

ballad

Re: CS:GO ping spikes on Steam

those are silent updates
the only solution is to have a normal conncetion according to the world standards, which is 10mbps
those updates will pass in a second, but in our cases you need to endure a 2mins of 4000ms lag

Last edited by ballad (May 30 2015)

#3 May 31 2015

TrollFatGuy

Yeah, I currently have the same problems and have found this to be the only solution: open up the CS GO client and go into a casual game, open up the casual game for around thirty minutes and hopefully all the updates will be over by then. Only then do i dare play a competitive round. Cheers to our internet though, and hope this helps you rank up.

#4 May 31 2015

rolf

ballad wrote:

to the world standards, which is 10mbps

You just made that up, didnt you?
I there was a global 'standard speed', it would be more like 1mbps.

Last edited by rolf (May 31 2015)

#5 May 31 2015

Johnaudi

You need to set your QoS settings to open the CS:GO ports, making CS:GO traffic prioritized.

#6 May 31 2015

TrollFatGuy

@Johnaudi , I am quite a noob at such issues.... How do I do that?

#7 May 31 2015

Johnaudi

TrollFatGuy wrote:

@Johnaudi , I am quite a noob at such issues.... How do I do that?

What router to you have?

#8 May 31 2015

Elied

rolf wrote:
ballad wrote:

Actually, according to akamai it's 3.9 Mbps So you both kind of missed the mark.
source:Akamai
Although this is not officially confirmed but it seems to be the most credible and thorough study I found.

Last edited by Elied (May 31 2015)

#9 May 31 2015

ballad

Elied wrote:
rolf wrote:
ballad wrote:

Actually, according to akamai it's 3.9 Mbps So you both kind of missed the mark.
source:Akamai
Although this is not officially confirmed but it seems to be the most credible and thorough study I found.

3.9mbps is the world average, that doesn't mean it has to be the standard.

#10 May 31 2015

TrollFatGuy

@Johnaudi I have a prolink router from wise and can access it through its password if that is the question, and thank you.

#11 May 31 2015

Johnaudi

TrollFatGuy wrote:

@Johnaudi I have a prolink router from wise and can access it through its password if that is the question, and thank you.

Never heard of ProLink, can you check if it has a QoS option somewhere?

#12 June 1 2015

ironman

hkbazzi wrote:

in the middle of my game, suddenly steam would start spiking the ping because of the bootstrapper and client webhelper start downloading in the background, anyone has a fix for this?

Some guy here gave you a "workaround" which is  going into a Deathmatch or Casual game (since you need to Warmup anyway before starting a competitive game) (I Assume) because all players do that,
so hopefully the updates will start downloading while you are in deathmatch.

PS: i never experienced this problem knowing that i play CS:GO around 6 hours per day.

Good luck.

#13 June 1 2015

TrollFatGuy

@Johnaudi Yes it does have that option. I am sorry if we are making a mess out of this topic but the only reason I would rather not have it as a private conversation is to help others with the same problem as mine. Thanks for your persistence and assistance @Johnaudi.

#14 June 1 2015

ironman

@TrollFatGuy, even if you prioritize CSGO Traffic (Assuming it works), you will still have lags while playing (if download is in progress) because CSGO is really ping dependent and can easily be affected by any traffic, in all cases you can try it :)

Board footer