LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 2 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Best DDR3 RAM in Lebanon?

What are the best RAM as performance in Lebanon?
I see PcandParts has some Kingston HyperX series, but what are the differences between them as it's only a 10$ more for the most expensive one (8gb)?

#2 March 2 2015

Die_Kapitan

Re: Best DDR3 RAM in Lebanon?

I'd go with HyperX Savage, unless your mobo isn't black and red, it has lower latency than the HyperX Fury memory and has a better heatspreader if you want to overclock.

#3 March 2 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Die_Kapitan wrote:

I'd go with HyperX Savage, unless your mobo isn't black and red, it has lower latency than the HyperX Fury memory and has a better heatspreader if you want to overclock.

Would they work well with a mobo Msi Gaming 3 Z97?

#4 March 2 2015

Die_Kapitan

vegetaleb wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

Any DDR3 kit can run on any mobo that supports DDR3, if it doesn't support the speed the memory is clocked at, it will simply underclock it. So yes, they will work well with your mobo.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (March 2 2015)

#5 March 3 2015

DNA

i have 2x4Gb of the shitiest DDR3 kingston 1333 ram you can find, but  now its been a while i am running on only 1 stick of 4GB ram in single channel mode offcourse after one stick got damaged, the Cpu scores where around 80Gflops in intel burn test but on the single channel 4GB they went down to 66Gflops so i lost some of my CPU performance in specific tasks.
but in games trust me it doesn't appear even on only 4GB of SINGLE channel 666Mhz RAM i didn't loose any FPS in BF4 still the same running ultra but without anti aliasing. so that really confirms that you should only stick in the cheapest good RAM you can find. save your money ooin something else

Last edited by DNA (March 3 2015)

#6 March 3 2015

MrClass

Die_Kapitan wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

Any DDR3 kit can run on any mobo that supports DDR3, if it doesn't support the speed the memory is clocked at, it will simply underclock it. So yes, they will work well with your mobo.

Not really. Some mobos are picky and will only work with certain memory voltages. There is huge difference in system stability if you use 1.5v over 1.65v or vice versa. Always recommended to see which is best for the particular mobo that you want.

Last edited by MrClass (March 3 2015)

#7 March 3 2015

Die_Kapitan

MrClass wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

Not really. Some mobos are picky and will only work with certain memory voltages. There is huge difference in system stability if you use 1.5v over 1.65v or vice versa. Always recommended to see which is best for the particular mobo that you want.

If memory is running at 1.65v the mobo will undervolt it to 1.5v which means speed will decrease from 2133-2400 MHz to 1600-1866 MHz.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (March 4 2015)

#8 March 4 2015

Tech Guru

I tried all Memory Frequency (DDR3) from 1333- 2400 Mhz with different configurations and latencies , real world performance nothing drastic change in Games 1-2 Fps and overall system performance non noticeable. From Experience 16GB or 8 GB (8 by 8 or 4 By 4 at 1600 Mhz ) is convenient why to pay more and see motherboards specs that support OC DDR3 .

#9 March 5 2015

MohammedSF

MrClass wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

My CL6 G.Skill Ripjaws wasn't supported by my old Asus Rampage/Q6600 system and i had lots of troubles running them at default speed (1600mhz/CL6 @ 1.5v), they didn't even stabilize @ 1333mhz CL7 or anything else.

G.Skill support team replaied that my MB/CPU isn't supported and they gave me steps for how to run this kit at max speed, which is overvolting the X48 NB + overvolting the Q6600's memory controler + overvolting RAM to 1.65v and voila ! it worked at 1600Mhz CL6

They are working now at default speed on my Z68 board just by XMP !

My advice is to always check the QVL of your motherboard before buying high-quality memory kits.

#10 March 24 2015

ironman

Sorry for bumping an old topic, i have a Z97-A (Asus) Mobo, and i have been using 3 x (2gb DDR3 1333mhz) memory and i suspect they are causing me trouble (freezing...),
i would like to move an 8Gb configuration,

what should i get, hyper-x savage or a normal 8Gb kingston memory?

Last edited by ironman (March 24 2015)

#11 March 24 2015

Tech Guru

@ironman what is your rig purpose

For Gaming Go with 8 GB (4 GB by 4GB Dual Channel Configuration) @ 1600 Mhz  - even at 2300 Mhz OC Ram with different latency setups on real gaming experience you will feel nothing 1-2 Fps difference what bottle neck the system and in games mainly are:

1- GPU
2-CPU

and Overall system response will be SSD on OS  installed on it.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 24 2015)

#12 March 24 2015

ironman

@Tech Guru, thanks for helping, well i have an SSD for the OS, 4790 CPU, GTX 760 GPU
purpose of the rig is mainly gaming.

What do you advise me to get?

and is getting 2 x 4GB better than getting 1 slot of 8Gb?

Thanks

Last edited by ironman (March 24 2015)

#13 March 24 2015

Tech Guru

@ironman

-CPU Choice is Very Good
-SSD is a Must (Crucial or Samsung)
-Graphic Card: 760 is weak - Preferable to go with a 970 as future proof - Being sold for 440USD including VAT
-Go with a 4 by 4 Dual Channel Configuration or if you are willing to Upgrade RAM later on go now with one 8GB Stick and later with another 8GB Stick to make them Dual Channel
-Go with a Good PSU Unit (80 Plus Gold Certified)
-Go with a Good Case for better air ventilation
-Go with either Asus or MSI z97 chipset.
Go with Tt Contact 21 Cooler for the CPU for silent and cheap (~USD 25)  and better than the stock Intel cooler

#14 March 24 2015

ironman

Tech Guru wrote:

@ironman

-CPU Choice is Very Good
-SSD is a Must (Crucial or Samsung)
-Graphic Card: 760 is weak - Preferable to go with a 970 as future proof - Being sold for 440USD including VAT
-Go with a 4 by 4 Dual Channel Configuration or if you are willing to Upgrade RAM later on go now with one 8GB Stick and later with another 8GB Stick to make them Dual Channel
-Go with a Good PSU Unit (80 Plus Gold Certified)
-Go with a Good Case for better air ventilation
-Go with either Asus or MSI z97 chipset.
Go with Tt Contact 21 Cooler for the CPU for silent and cheap (~USD 25)  and better than the stock Intel cooler

Thank you bro, in fact a month ago i did all the major upgrades (new PSU, the GPU, new Case, i already have the Z97-A....etc)
But i am facing freezing issues (i already have a thread about that, and i am suspecting either the GPU or the PSU or the RAM), so the cheapest thing would be changing the RAM (since i am planning to change them anyway),

This is why i am thinking of getting an 8GB (maybe hyper-x Savage, or the normal Kingston)

and i just read about the benefits of dual channel vs single channel, so i am lost again between getting 2 x 4gb (and it would be really hard to sell them when i am upgrading) or getting a single slot of 8GB and losing the benefits of dual channel.

Thanks.

#15 March 24 2015

Tech Guru

@ironman

Dual vs Single Channel slight performance boost 1 - 2 % go with a 4 GB (2 Configuration) for a simple reason if one failed they system will keep running

Read this article to shed some info for you

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349- … ?showall=1

#16 March 24 2015

DNA

@ironman its simple, if you need 8GB you should definetly get 2x4GB 1600  normal kingston, and thats what i recommend.

you don't need 16GB you can still run bf4 on 4GB (OS will page-file contents of ram) 8Gb will run anything, i like to put a 2GB page-file partition on my SSD only and the system won't slow down even if you fill the 8Gb while rendering uncompressed stuff

@TechGuru actually there is a huge difference between single and dual channel, HUGE, not in gaming but if you need CPU intensive work performance will be degraded tremendously on specific tasks

Last edited by DNA (March 24 2015)

#17 March 24 2015

ironman

Thanks for the help guys, will get the normal kingston memory, 2x 4gb :)
since i don't need 16GB atm and since Savage doesn't offer a big performance boost over normal memory.

#18 March 24 2015

Tech Guru

@DNA Tell me cases of CPU Intensive Work - If you mean by Rendering ; Editing ; Simulation ; etc.. Yes I Agree but for General Purpose Computing and/or Gaming (High Ending Gaming Even) you will not touch an impact - Otherwise, me personally I always go with Dual Channel I feel more Relaxed (At Least Physiologically) :)

#19 March 24 2015

DNA

yea in the examples you mentioned you will definitely feel a difference between single and dual channel, there is a stress test program intelburnintestv2 which uses Linpack algorithms which is notorious for stressing CPUs. you can definitely see a drop in scores even if you set the program to use only like 300MB ram, my cpu was at 90Gflops/s in dual channel and only 50 or so in single channel. actually in some specific games where post process effects are high you will feel a difference between single and dual channel in these moments, those sudden fps drops in games for 1 or 2 seconds are a result of CPU stress

Board footer