LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 20 2006

mir

What Does your Browser Say About You!

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/bl … rsonality/

hehe funny read about what your browser says about you !

i believe it is actually true !

IE 5.0:

You only use your computer for IM, email and Myspace. You stubbornly refuse to upgrade that ancient Win 98 box that you are using because you don’t need some fancy computer and in your opinion the one you have works just fine. You also probably don’t use antivirus or antispyware either. You just let your son/nephew/friend clean it out every month or so.

IE 6.0:

You probably don’t know what a “browser” is and you think Internet is IE. You have no clue about technology, and you are generally afraid of computers. You also use your machine only for IM, chat, email and myspace. Your friends keep telling you about that “Fried Fox” thingy but you don’t really understand this stuff and never really had time to look into it.

IE 7.0:

You consider yourself to be on the cutting edge of technology. You think that Microsoft is the greatest company on the earth, and that this evil “Lenoux” operating system is made by terrorists. You have a poster of Steve Ballmer on your wall, and you want to be like Bill Gates when you grow up. When you think about Vista you get goosebumps and shiver with excitement.

Firefox 1.x:

You are most likely a little bit geeky and proud of it. You are a strong supporter of the Open Source movement, and you think that RMS is “the man”. You really don’t care if FF is faster, or safer than IE - you would use it even if it performed 10 times worse. You are just happy that you have a free, open source browser with a huge community that is supporting it. At any given time you have installed at least 7 extensions that you couldn’t live without.

Firefox 2.0 Beta:

You are a developer by day and open source developer by night. Either that, or a huge Firefox fan. You are all over Bugzilla reporting all the issues you encounter with the browser. You have probably summited at least one patch to an open source project at some point in your life. You love to tinker with your applications, and you don’t mind running beta software on your machine. After all, it is fun to discover new bugs, and to work little kinks out of the new cutting edge programs.

Mozilla:

You have been with Mozilla since the begging. You think that Firefox is really over-hyped and you prefer the old school Netscape like environment much better. You don’t think the Moz Suite is bloated - you actually like having a mail client, irc client, and a web editor embedded in the browser. You don’t understand why people would pick a browser with less features. In all other aspects you are much like a Firefox user - you love Open Source, you are fond of your extensions and etc… Actually, no - you would rather say that Firefox users are much like you in their tastes. After all, you were using an awesome gecko powered browser while they were still struggling with their IE or whatever.

Opera:

You really don’t care for they Firefox hype. What you want is the best browser there is - and for you that’s Opera. You actually used to pay them when the browser was add supported. If a Firefox fanboi starts talking smack about your browser you quickly shoot him down by proposing the ACID2 test. You know what you want (a fast, standards compliant browser) and you know where to get it. Browser wars do not interest you at all, although you kinda hope that Firefox wins so that fewer web developers make IE only pages.

Netscape 8.x:

You are a senior citizen, who just recently got a new computer. You don’t really understand anything about the internets, but you distinctly remember that you must have Netscape to run them. You can’t understand all that talk about Internet Explorator and Firesomething, and you have no clue what Oprah has to do with the internets. All you know is that you need to click on that big N to get to the “onlines”. You think that Senator Steven’s speech about net neutrality made allot of sense. You also sent out an internet one day, and the other person haven’t received it for days.

Netscape 7 and below:

See IE 5.0.

AOL Explorer:

Ever since you installed new AIM client this thing became your default browser. You really hate it, but you just can’t figure out how to change it back. You don’t even know how to explain what you want to your computer savvy friends. Whenever you try to get help and you say something like “can you change the new internet, back to the old internet?” they just stare at you and pretend they don’t understand. They probably don’t know as much about computers as they say they do, or something.

AOL Suite:

You most likely either still use AOL as your dialup ISP. Either that, or you somehow figured that you still need AOL even after getting broadband connection. Someone told you you can actually use the internets without starting AOL but you haven’t figured out how is that possible. It seems really difficult though, and you suspect it might be illegal.

Safari:

Congratulations! You are a Mac user with all perks and benefits that title offers you. You love OSX, and you would never use Windows. It just seems ugly and kludge stricken to you. You like the simplicity, and clarity that Mac offers you, and Safari is a browser that just works for you. You never really bothered to look for another one, because you are fully satisfied with what you have and you wouldn’t change it for the world.

Konqueror:

You are a linux user, and a geek at heart. You think that KDE is the best window manager out there, and you despise Gnome. You love the fact that your browser is also file manager, a ftp/scp client, smb share client, a PDF viewer and many other things. You like to show off KDE’s network transparency to your friends by scp’ing to your web server, editing HTML file, saving it, and then refreshing the modified page without ever leaving the browser. Most of the applications you use on a daily basis have names starting with a k (Kmail, Kontact, Kdevelop, Koffice etc..)

Lynx:

You are a liar. You really want me to believe that you use a text browser for everything? Especially one that does not support javascript, frames, css and has trouble displaying tables? Seriously, I can totally believe that you use vi all the time, and that your primary email client is Mutt or Pine. But there is no way that I’m prepared to buy that you use lynx for everything. And if you would, then you’d be the most hardcore geek I have ever seen in my life. Hats off to you!

#2 August 20 2006

samer
Admin

Re: What Does your Browser Say About You!

IE 7.0:

You consider yourself to be on the cutting edge of technology. You think that Microsoft is the greatest company on the earth, and that this evil “Lenoux” operating system is made by terrorists. You have a poster of Steve Ballmer on your wall, and you want to be like Bill Gates when you grow up. When you think about Vista you get goosebumps and shiver with excitement.

ROFL! eh mézin ?

Firefox 2.0 Beta:
You are a developer by day and open source developer by night. Either that, or a huge Firefox fan. You are all over Bugzilla reporting all the issues you encounter with the browser. You have probably summited at least one patch to an open source project at some point in your life. You love to tinker with your applications, and you don’t mind running beta software on your machine. After all, it is fun to discover new bugs, and to work little kinks out of the new cutting edge programs.

:cool:

#3 August 20 2006

mezin

looool eh  i fit the above two you posted

#4 August 20 2006

mahdoum

Opera:

You really don’t care for they Firefox hype. What you want is the best browser there is - and for you that’s Opera. You actually used to pay them when the browser was add supported. If a Firefox fanboi starts talking smack about your browser you quickly shoot him down by proposing the ACID2 test. You know what you want (a fast, standards compliant browser) and you know where to get it. Browser wars do not interest you at all, although you kinda hope that Firefox wins so that fewer web developers make IE only pages.

#5 August 20 2006

samer
Admin

oh, mahdoum.. girls should be so into you for liking opera errr.. opera err.. Oprah

#6 August 21 2006

Padre

Lynx:

You are a liar. You really want me to believe that you use a text browser for everything? Especially one that does not support javascript, frames, css and has trouble displaying tables? Seriously, I can totally believe that you use vi all the time, and that your primary email client is Mutt or Pine. But there is no way that I’m prepared to buy that you use lynx for everything. And if you would, then you’d be the most hardcore geek I have ever seen in my life. Hats off to you!

looooooooool

#7 August 21 2006

samer
Admin

c'mon Padre, no way enno you're using Lynx as your primary browser

#8 August 21 2006

mezin

yes that's like cutting your legs so that you'd be different

#9 August 22 2006

Padre

hehehe, im not using lynx as my primary browser, but i used to heavily depend on it .... during those days ;)

#10 August 23 2006

mir

yes that's like cutting your legs so that you'd be different

lool

hehehe, im not using lynx as my primary browser, but i used to heavily depend on it .... during those days

ah! sure... a time back during those days
lol you speak a lot about "the days" my frnd
tayib.. now currently what do you use ?

#11 August 24 2006

Padre

IE/FierFox/Opera/Konqueror, it all depends on when on where
how about you ?

#12 August 24 2006

mir

ah... me I am starting to like Opera the most, then comes Firefox
i use IE only if i am at a net cafe and i don't have enough time to download and use something else

#13 August 24 2006

samer
Admin

@mir: then use portable firefox :) (topic coming soon about portable apps ^.^)

#14 August 24 2006

mahdoum

yup I use portable firefox, vlc media player (great prog) and gimp  all on my flash disk

#15 August 26 2006

mir

lool you can use Damn Small Linux  on your USB

lol but i usually don't have 1K free on my usb.. or it is deep deep deep inside il sac
so it would take shi 15 min to find the right USB lol

w i don't like plugging and unpluggin stuff in net cafes
it is a dirty infected world outthere
i am not moving malware with me at home

#16 August 26 2006

mahdoum

Here's a funny story, I was going to watch a dvd at my friends house, and he has a big computer screen so were using the computer to play the dvd. He's got about 4 DVD playing software and non of them would play the movie in full screen (it would show a blank screen), but small screen it was fine (even after restart btw). Then my USB to the rescue I never knew VLC media player played DVD's as well, but it was worth a go and guess what, it worked in full screen beautifully. lol!

#17 August 30 2006

mir

hehe mahdoum .. you saved the day !
You are their hero

Board footer