LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 9 2014

Fischer

StyleDVD: Burning Arabic subtitles error

I have Xubuntu 14.04 64 bit, I'm trying to burn 24 season 9 on DVD to be used on a DVD player, with Arabic Subtitles. I get this error, anyone knows what it means?

ERR: Error 84 -- Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character -- decoding subtitle file at approx line pos 1 + char pos 72 

If you use another DVD burning software for Linux, let me know,  I'll try it

#2 August 11 2014

NuclearVision

Re: StyleDVD: Burning Arabic subtitles error

Hello old friend, I'd suggest burning the subs to the movie file, hardsubtitles. Then burn the movie to the DVD.
I use avidemux for hardcoding the subtitles, I didn't try to burn movies to DVDs. But I assume it has this functionality.
Let me know if it works.

#3 August 13 2014

Fischer

Nice thinking old friend, I tried it yesterday, brilliant idea. The only problem is that when I add the subtitles in avidemux, I have to pick an encoding, the utf8 will show crap letters. the arabic option will show seperated arabic letters.

My subtitles are encoded either ISO-8859-6 and or Arabic windows CP1256 (I don't what is the encoding of each file, it's either this or that, can't check them all one by one, it will take a lifetime)

Your solution is the best solution but i need a different software or script able to recognize the encoding before hardcoding it.

#4 August 17 2014

Fischer

problem solved, using mkvmerge, I was able to select the right encoding for the subtitles, and I hardcoded it, thanks for the idea old friend. I guess it's technically not hardcoding, just combining subtitles with the movie, but it does the job

Last edited by Fischer (August 17 2014)

Board footer