LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 10 2014

Locha

Old Pentium III | Which O.S ?

Hello,

I just found an old desktop that I had with a Pentium III E CPU, 512 MB Ram, and a CVC MR 824 Motherboard. I just thought of using it for torrents and downloads. Which O.S you suggest using?

Thank you.

#2 July 10 2014

Sfenjy

Re: Old Pentium III | Which O.S ?

Windows XP is fine 512 MB Ram are enough.

#3 July 10 2014

rtp

i think it can run xubuntu if you are looking for linux.

#4 July 10 2014

Tarek
Banned

Windows xp is the best choice , it is light and drivers are easier to be found

#5 July 10 2014

NuclearVision

Get a ubuntu 10 copy of you want light stuff, or the latest if you're ok. They come with transmission preloaded. No drivers to install. Easy to use.

#6 July 10 2014

trent

If you're comfortable using linux, puppy linux is a very light and small distro http://puppylinux.org/

#7 July 10 2014

Joe

I second most of the propositions so far. Basically, if you've never used Linux before, here's a great opportunity to start doing it. If you don't feel like doing this, Windows XP is your best option.

#8 July 11 2014

AvoK95

Linuxlite is literally the best destro for old PCs. And very similar to use. It has been voted the best replacement for Windows XP. Try that.

#9 July 11 2014

hussam

I haven't touched anything other than linux in a decade now but I honestly would recommend XP if you don't have a good graphics card unless security is important to you (XP is not supported anymore). This computer is actually a step ahead of the requirements for Windows XP.
If you want Linux, you have two choices:
1) Go with any distribution where XFCE desktop environment is available. But you need a decent graphics card as gtk+2 is a bit demanding.
2) Puppy Linux. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux It *should* perform a lot faster than XFCE.

There are plenty of torrent applications on Linux (Transmission, etc..) and many web browsers (Firefox, etc...)

#10 July 24 2014

Locha

Thank you guys for your advices. I highly appreciate it.

Board footer