LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 20 2006

rolf

IDM at it again

Once again, downloading at 8 KB/S tonight when I'm paying for 30 KB/S , and no I aint got any other connections, I double checked, and this is not the only download tonight that is slow:

[root@summer downloaded]# wget http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/egroupware/1.2/1.2-2/eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2
--00:12:27--  http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/egroupware/1.2/1.2-2/eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2
           => `eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2.1'
Resolving ftp.uni-kl.de... 131.246.120.27
Connecting to ftp.uni-kl.de[131.246.120.27]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 16,032,813 [application/x-tar]

100%[=================================================================>] 16,032,813     5.50K/s    ETA 00:00

00:43:40 (8.37 KB/s) - `eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2.1' saved [16,032,813/16,032,813]

That's 8.3 KB/s average.

Last edited by rolf (June 20 2006)

#2 June 21 2006

mir

Re: IDM at it again

rolf... stop nagging about IDM bad connection
Leish hatitoun bi rasak ya man
Leave them .. You know.. there are other Providers around !

I think the best way is to write a mail tfish fi khil2ak to the IDM Support (if they have )
Or do a blog anti-IDM .. that would be fun
or Tshakka 3layon inta wil future blog readers (really ) maybe u can make some money out of it

#3 June 21 2006

Padre

mir .... ur living in lebanon

#4 June 21 2006

mahdoum

:S again i keep saying IDM are fine with me

#5 June 21 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

IDM should die!

#6 June 21 2006

mahdoum

a lot of IDM love going on here.

#7 June 21 2006

Padre

rofl ... just a word of caution. It's nice that you are using Linux man .... BUT NEVER USE THE ROOT ACCOUNT FOR DAILY USE  you are just asking for trouble in case someone wants ur head.

#8 June 21 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Depends WHO wants your head, and WHICH head he wants ;)

Anyways, Mir is right --> nagging helps a little, if any. There is no monopoly in this business. Not like electricity.
You do not like the ISP - change it. You do not like your girlfriend - the change it :)
Democracy they call it :)

#9 June 21 2006

samer
Admin

Padre wrote:

rofl

you're laughing too much man

#10 June 22 2006

rolf

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

Depends WHO wants your head, and WHICH head he wants ;)

Anyways, Mir is right --> nagging helps a little, if any. There is no monopoly in this business. Not like electricity.
You do not like the ISP - change it. You do not like your girlfriend - the change it :)
Democracy they call it :)

We have received a very good offer from your company but the offer was lacking any terms about the connection to your hosting service so now we have sent an email to Mr. Medawar and are waiting for his answer.

About the root thing, yeah thanks, I'm mostly worried about me doing a "rm -rf /" in root instead of "rm -rf ./" for example... just one dot keeping you from having your drive wiped out.
But I dont think anywone could harm me coz I'm working on that box over ssh, it is protected on the internet side by iptables firwall rules that I wrote myself and on the internal network none of the users even know what "linux" stands for.
I understand the danger of running X, opening mail, browsing, etc... as root. But I never do any of this on that box anyway, I just use it as a server/router and the GUI (X, etc...) is uninstalled so the only things I am running as root are simple shell commands.

#11 June 22 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf,

you got me wrong. By saying "change your ISP" I did not mean "Change it to VISP".
There are at least 5 other ISPs -> Cyberia, Sodetel, Lynx (FiberLinks), TerraNet, Lebanon Online... ...

#12 June 22 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

VISP are clearly the best.

At least we can talk with them on msn :)

#13 June 22 2006

battikh

teodor, why don't you encourage people to go to VISP? don't you work there? are they bad? personaly i kind of like their philosophy, mainly due to you i guess, and i am considering switching to it, but why you don't encourage tis move?

#14 June 22 2006

nuclearcat

We know that our ISP is very good in that business, but still person have to decide by himself - he want to go with us, or he want to go wrong way
Proper answer to question "good" or "bad", can give only connection from our ISP. Other things - it is talks...

#15 June 23 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Battikh,

* Yes, I do work at VISP.
* I do not encourage people, due to several reasons:

* I am a technical person, not a marketing/sales manager. So I am following my daily and weekly tasks. My participation on the forums is mostly PERSONAL, than tied to VISP.

* This is our company policy - we do not advertise in an ugly manner "Use us, we are the best, f*** off the rest".
It is really stupid (read the post of nuclearcat). If people want to use VISP are their ISP, they will do it without
our advertising.

Let me give you an example. Two days ago, a traffic-police man stopped me and asked me: "Have you used any alcohol? Are you drunk?". And I told him: "Your question is silly and non-sense. My answer (in 99%) will be - NO. Will you believe me? Instead of waisting yours and mine time, use the *treger* device and test me"

* So, if someone asks me if our connection is good, I can suggest him two things - either to ask a CUSTOMER OF OURS, or to TEST BY HIMSELF. I am not  a customer. I have never used a regular customer account, neither I have called VISP for support.

What other ISP do - invest in outdated advertising with big banners, nice looking photo-models, TV advertising and etc, is something that we can not accept and follow.

* Others ISP are established mainly by sales/marketing people. Here is the opposite - VISP is created 95% by technical people. Do not expect techs to think and act in the same manner as sales/marketing people do.

Our advertising policy is mostly technical one. An example - the free dial-up. Or building the largest (and looks like the only one) gaming network in Lebanon. And other similar things.

I am not saying that the advertising method of IDM, Cyberia and others is wrong. It is also effective from some point of view. There are almsot always more than one way to reach a particular goal. But do not expect from us to act in that manner. Neither expect them to act the way we do.

Hope that answers all your questions.

#16 June 23 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Anyway,

here is some sort of advertizing, if you want --> prepare your copies of World of Warcraft, because in 3 weeks we will start a full-featured server of WoW (full of quests and empty of bugs, as I hope).  We will go for a version lot less than 1.8.0. And I hope, it will be available to
more and more people in Lebanon.

#17 June 24 2006

nuclearcat

Now i realise, u download at night... there must be plenty of free bw.
I am downloading on VISP, peak time
laptop ~ # wget http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/egroupware/1.2 … -2.tar.bz2
--16:52:08--  http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/egroupware/1.2 … -2.tar.bz2
           => `eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2'
Connecting to proxy:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 16,032,813 (15M) [application/x-tar]

100%[=================================================================================================================>] 16,032,813   182.44K/s    ETA 00:00

16:56:05 (66.13 KB/s) - `eGroupWare-1.2-2.tar.bz2' saved [16032813/16032813]

Board footer