LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 17 2006

samer
Admin

Insomnia

Insomnia:

Anyone suffering from Insomnia ? I found a very resourceful article that gives 12 ways to enjoy a good night sleep.

* Wind down prior to bedtime
* Do not smoke (nicotine is a stimulant) or consume caffeine
* Try warm milk or a light snack before bed (if this doesn’t interfere with another treatment you are using)
* Exercise daily, but not right before bedtime
* Take a warm bath, but not right before bedtime
* Keep a regular bedtime and rising time
* Get in the habit of going to bed when you are sleepy and sleeping where you sleep best
* Reserve your bed for sleeping only
* Don’t have any clocks visible to you
* Reduce the amount of time you allow yourself to sleep until you fall asleep easily (your health care provider can help with this form of “sleep restriction therapy”
* Schedule worry time during the day and put worries out of your head when it is time to sleep; you can write them down on 3×5 cards, and then let go of them
* Get up if you have not fallen asleep in 15 minutes and practice a relaxing activity (e.g. handwork, reading a boring book) until you feel sleepy
read the full article

Personally, I have never had problems with insomnia but still, the list gives very useful advice.
What about you? are you rather an insomniac or a quick sleeper?

#2 June 17 2006

mahdoum

Re: Insomnia

I'm variant.... i'm usually a quick sleeper, but when i read something like this about 3 weeks ago it took me 2 hours to go to sleep lol. Thats why i'm not reading it

#3 June 17 2006

robert

"ressourceful" :) => resourceful

Robert

#4 June 17 2006

battikh

i'm not a regualr insomniac, but i pass by periods in which i am...and it aweful. sometimes i prefer just not to sleep besides trying and trying.
i read somehwre once that you should sleep your head pointing to the south and your feet to the north to sleep well or something like that.

#5 June 17 2006

mahdoum

What you read battikh is Japanese Fenshi (I think thats what it is)

#6 June 17 2006

rolf

bout once every 2 weeks or sometimes once per week. It depends what's on my mind and how things have been going... If I stay home for a week and dont go out i'll have guaranteed insomnia.

#7 June 19 2006

mir

well as for me
3adatan bousal ekhir il nhar mkassra.. so sometimes i even sleep with my clothes on lol ..

but had 3 consecutive non-sleep night shi 2 weeks ago
i just sat there.. looking for the sun to rise...nothing could make me sleep !

I am glad it is over
but will remember the list for next time

um. I usually call a friend when i can't sleep lol
i have a friend that never sleeps .. so we do competition on who sleeps first lol or tests on our other frnds sleeping times using Missed calls lol

and Usually when i decide that no sleep for today.. i turn on my PC and do something , mostly programming or security testing lol..or weird readings .. hehe  but now i don't have a PC lol

The worst thing to do, is watch 10 ppl sleeping while u can't
and don't read books or watch movies that make u think a lot..

Last edited by mir (June 19 2006)

#8 June 19 2006

Padre

The only thing that can usually keep me out of bed is a good code/project that i'm working on , or a nice girl that i'm thikin about

#9 June 20 2006

Charly

I started suffering from insomnia during the beginning of this year.... i dunno wats up with me, i usually sleep around 2-2.30 am, and wake up at 7 am for school... plus, i wake up like 13 times in between...
during long period holidays, i go to bed around 3 am, also wake up like 10 times in between, and wake up at 10 am feeling tired..... sleep is like a disaster to me, instead of relaxing me, it tires me !!
i really need some sleep therapy... i guess im having insomnias from of all the stress and worrying around me... do u guys advise me to see a doctor?

#10 June 20 2006

rolf

Charly wrote:

i really need some sleep therapy... i guess im having insomnias from of all the stress and worrying around me... do u guys advise me to see a doctor?

It doesnt hurt to see one.
If you want to see a psychologist make sure to see a good one, that is one referred to by someone you know and for which you can see the results because some psychologists will make up diseases for you and you'll end up worse then you started, the psychologist is someone you have to trust totally and have to be able to follow a treatment with for a long period of time.
Otherwise maybe you have sleep apnea or something like that, so yeah check with the doctor anyway.

The sleeping not too long, although not a very good thing ;), is not what is worrying in your case but it's the waking up 13 times in between.

BTW is that how you look in your avatar in the morning?
:)

Last edited by rolf (June 20 2006)

#11 June 21 2006

mir

don't plan to sleep
don't think about sleeping
Instead of it being something bad, you can use it
Use the time to solve the issues you have in ur personal life.. to do work.. to go out and have fun
start a book.. a painting ... write about stuff in ur life.. do some thinking or planning ...
in the end.. u will need sleep.. and u will sleep well

just go to ur room when ur completely ne3sen
and don't forget to post about ur first full night sleep

Board footer