LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 13 2006

nadineb

anti-virus and anti-spyware

what do u guys recommend for each?

#2 June 13 2006

samer
Admin

Re: anti-virus and anti-spyware

for anti spyware I recommend AdAware SE (+adwatch) {www.lavasoftusa.com} and for anti-virus  AVG (www.grisoft.com) - but i'm moving to Ubuntu soon, so everything's going to change.

#3 June 13 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

Kaspersky - the best there is the best there was and the best ever will be.

www.kaspersky.com

#4 June 13 2006

teodorgeorgiev

NOD32 is pretty fine for me during the time I am on Windows.

Though some applications have problems with it.

#5 June 14 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

NOD32 ?!?!

damn what a N-OD-D32 name!

Last edited by Dark_angel (June 14 2006)

#6 June 14 2006

mahdoum

I've tried Kaspersky and it was like a toy (although very very good), I've now switched to AVG for my antivirus. And for spyware the only program I ever liked and keep using (i've tried a lot) is spy bot spyware search and destory

#7 June 14 2006

battikh

for spywares it's better to use more than one. i use spybot and adaware.
kaspersky is very good, but it gets anoying, i hate antiviruses, i stopped using them and in 2 years without an antivirus i still have never been infected. if your carefull enough, know what you dom and know where you go and what you open, there is no real need for an antivirus.

#8 June 15 2006

rolf

If you have a lot of computers (5+), I recommend symantec antivirus corporate edition (with the S.A.V. server).
The reason are:
- you only have to download the virus definitinons once on the server, and the server will update all the connected clients
- You can control the GUI of the client, ya3neh for example you can disable the settings and forbid the users from unloading the antivirus service from their computer... they will have no easy way to disable the antivirus... you can choose what you want users to do or not to do from the server.
- From the server you can launch virus scans on clients and see the status of the clients, if they are infected, etc...

When you have a lot of computer it is very practical and much more secure to manage them in this way from one central location.

It is true that symantec do not produce the best virus definitions but i think the above advantages outweight that in a company setting

For the antispyware I was using lavasoft ad-aware microsoft anti-spyware... but the best antispyware is to hit stupid users bil 2shatt every time that they download spyware. If you're careful and keep your OS updated you wont need any antispyware.

Board footer