LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 15 2014

Fischer

How to submit bug fixes on launchpad?

I'm on Xubuntu, I fixed some bugs for some application that runs on ubuntu and debian, how to submit those bug fixes to launchpad? The dev team confirmed the bug but didn't assign anyone, I waited a week, so I assigned myself and fixed everything, what's next?

Last edited by Fischer (February 15 2014)

#2 February 15 2014

Joe

Re: How to submit bug fixes on launchpad?

It depends. We need many more details to be able to tell you. Like what app is it? Is it an upstream bug or a packaging bug? What did the dev team say exactly?

Can you show us at least the bug report on Launchpad?

#3 February 17 2014

Fischer

it's no big deal, the .desktop file for scid was missing, i created it,

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Scid
Comment=A Free Chess Database 
Exec=scid %u
Icon=scid
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;BoardGame;

I'd like to to know two things:

How to generate it automatically when someone installs .deb fie?
How to submit patches to launchpad so the developer could include my changes in his repo?

I'm just trying to learn here :)

#4 February 17 2014

Joe

It does look like a packaging bug and not an upstream one.

How to generate it automatically when someone installs .deb fie?

I'm not a packaging expert but I assume you should include the .desktop file in your package and copy it to the appropriate directory in your postinst script. I could be wrong though.

How to submit patches to launchpad so the developer could include my changes in his repo?

The developer already mentioned that the bug must be resolved in Debian first so that Ubuntu can get it. Here's the Debian bug report, as you can see it's still unclassified. Your best bet is to contact the package maintainer immediately (you have his email address in the report) by email and prompt him to patch the package. I suggest you do this quickly if you want this fix to be included in Ubuntu 14.04.

#5 February 17 2014

Fischer

I emailed him, lets hope he replies soon

Board footer