LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 7 2006

mir

Databases!

Hi guys,
Just want to ask what is the Database that you prefer to use and why ?

personally i had experience with microsoft access (such a pain)
and with microsoft sql server
a little bit of oracle at uni

my favorite is microsoft sql server, it almost has everything for a middle database, really like the Data Transformation Services,log,query analyzer, the Backup options and maintenance plans and there is acceptable security

but i am looking for something that is multiplatform, so i thought i would ask the geeks and know their opinions  cuz all the websites are great at marketing so u can't really tell what is good or what is not

what about small databases  for cell phones?
and anyone had experience with object oriented databases ? what is the best one outthere ? do u know anyones that are open source or that have a cra*k available in lebanon  cuz i feel like playing   

10x for ur replies in advance

#2 January 7 2006

samer
Admin

Re: Databases!

Hey mir, well, I use MySQL an open source relational database management system that uses SQL . I like it because it's really simple to use with PHP and a very good choice for dynamic web sites. Personally, I haven't had the time to experience with any other database software.

cheers.

#3 January 7 2006

mahdoum

Yeah same as Samer i only use MySQL cause I haven't tried anything else. I've tried MS Access but as a program and not like SQL wise. Can't wait for Vista to come out as its search is SQL based. I think.

#4 January 7 2006

rolf

you can find all sorts of open source databases
just google for
database "open source"

I know both mysql and access. To use mysql you'll need to know the SQL syntax.

The problem with mysql+php is that you'll have to design everything from scratch every time. you have to design webpages, database functions... then if you want to modify your database you'll have to write complex UPDATE queries...lots of work
With access you can design the forms and the database within minutes. But sometimes things that I know how to do with mysql+php will leave me scratching my head for hours with access ;)

Last edited by rolf (January 7 2006)

#5 January 11 2006

teodorgeorgiev

MySQL (until version 5) and Access are not really databases. They lack lot of things that the professional databases do. Things like - Stored procedures, Views, OLAP...

I would rather call them "something between a storage and a database". But for simple tasks (SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE) MySQL really does a great job.

I would recommend to take a look at PostgreSQL. Also an open source.

#6 January 11 2006

rolf

Yeah I heard about PostgreSQL, it seems it is much better than mysql for big databases (that is for REAL database work ;) ). I've heard stories of people moving their website from MySQL to PostgreSQL as traffic grew, because MySQL was not up to the task anymore.

#7 January 12 2006

mir

First Thank You guys for ur feedback

you can find all sorts of open source databases
just google for database "open source"

lool i know that i can google for : database "open source,already did
sorry but i don't wanna be rude

I kinda agree with teodorgeorgiev about Acess for being a storage not a database
and thank u for ur recommendations teodorgeorgiev 

#8 January 12 2006

feedscott

Access also limits the number of users you can have working in the db at on time.

I'm getting ready to set up a website with MySql,  first time! I know I will mess it up LOL.

The template I will use is called drupal from www.drupal.org

Check it out www.feedscott.com "not much to look at yet."

I will come here to ask for help since the are so many Mysql experts.

austa

#9 February 6 2006

feedscott

feedscott wrote:

The template I will use is called drupal from www.drupal.org

Well I ended up using Mambo because there were some recommendations in the forums for that! One from Samer, Thanx!

It's up but I probably will write my own site or need some mods to mambo to get it doing what I want.

Here it is:

www.feedscott.com/mambo

#10 May 6 2006

Ragnar78

Big databases are not object oriented. You need an ETL to create the architecture and you need a tool to retreive the data other then just SQL cause you cannot manage huge amount of data by simply quering it.

Tool like hyperion to retrieve info and big DB like oracle or informix.

Access is actually not a DB, its a DB wannabe. Its perfect for simple simulation. SQL Server is quiet useful to handle more data (relatively to Acces) but in no way it can handle huge amount like oracle.
The DTS in SQL server is actually the ETL used to create automation, architecture and stuff. Its not a database (we all know how microsoft bundles things).

MySQL is only good for forums or "normal amount of data" for websites since it works perfectly with php.

I'm now getting into MS Analysis Services, contains more tools and it seems its gonna hit companies with fury (the microsoft way).

Try to grab MS AS, you'll enjoy it

#11 May 7 2006

mir

Thank you very much for the feedback 
I will try MS Analysis System
I am also trying the open source databases w trying to find out stuff that work with cell phones w stuff other than computers and servers
but it is like every couple of days, i download a couple of stuff, read something new w heik

I think it will take you a life to really master Big Databases, stuff like Oracle

#12 May 9 2006

KingRhye

I had just posted a reply to Ragnar then deleted it cos I figured I can't convince Ragnar unless I show him actual links, so here's the post again:

Oracle and MSSQL have always been close competitors. They're at the same level and both are designed to handle the same load/capacities.

Proof: Oracle Vs MSSQL
1- in Oracle's site: http://www.oracle.com/database/edisonma … _0306.html
2- in Microsoft's site: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/c … fault.mspx

Each firm affirms their product is somehow better.

ps: Analysis Services have been available since MSSQL version 2K. It's not a new product, and certainly not a 2005 or 2006 innovation.

#13 May 11 2006

Ragnar78

Dude, you just have this problem of trying to contradict me while you even never touched these stuff as much as i did.

They have never been close competitors. SQL server was the closest to oracle but extremely far away.
And data capacity dosen't only mean gigs or terabites...it means hashing storing and indexing data. SQL server dosen't even compare, or huge buisness groups might have adopt it. Where have you worked first and share your experience. What you find on the web is Marketing. What you see in real life is facts. Microsoft was always tough saying it can compete. And since you posted the links, read them, and check statistics.
MSSQL is only used in small BUs or small test projects. Almost never in production of big dataware houses.

As for Analysis services, i dont think you even get the importance of the innovations in it, because you think simple. You dont know what companies need. You just think you understood it. You're weird dude. I honnestly think you should try and get a job in some company that deals with real big amounts of data, like distribution (lets say Carrefour, Lidl, etc....). Like when you have to run a batch, it takes more then 3 days to do closing and consolidations.
What's good with this product is that it has its reporting analysis services, datamining, own ETL etc...i think you know what these are but you never understood the need.

Please dont reply on my post unless you add WHERE you worked and WHAT Tech you've used.

ps: its nice to use google to find these comparison, but you can do the same with MySql vs SQL Server (i think thats what you tried to get your links?)

edited: i corrected some big sentence mistakes (i know there are more)

Last edited by Ragnar78 (May 11 2006)

#14 May 12 2006

mir

Well That is not a Nice Reply Mister Ragnar ..Kinda offensive don't u think.. glad u corrected the big sentences

Il Oracle La bayyak shi ? ktir mi7tadd

I Believe KingRhye is a good programmer who knows his shit and I believe he was saying that every DBMS is good for something.. he simply isn't with the "MS Suck --> MSSQL suck"
W at least he is a modest guy who helps others w replies to others post in order to help them moush la ybahdil fiyon

don't wanna turn it into flaming stuff
Halla2 ana I did not agree with KingRhye...w think u are kinda right bass no need for such reply
reply to the post of oracle vs mssql w post some facts!

#15 May 12 2006

KingRhye

Most old folks in this forum are smarter than to reply offensively to Ragnar :)

#16 May 12 2006

KingRhye

Ragnar78 wrote:

I'm now getting into MS Analysis Services, contains more tools and it seems its gonna hit companies with fury (the microsoft way).

Concerning AS, don't twist my point. I said it is not an innovation, it has existed for over 6 years now ! It's funny you just learned about it :) it won't "hit companies with fury" at this point in time just because you were 6 years late to discover it hehe.

As for the Oracle Vs MSSQL, it's being discussed in another topic now.

#17 May 13 2006

Ragnar78

KingRhye wrote:
Ragnar78 wrote:

Concerning AS, don't twist my point. I said it is not an innovation, it has existed for over 6 years now ! It's funny you just learned about it :) it won't "hit companies with fury" at this point in time just because you were 6 years late to discover it hehe.

As for the Oracle Vs MSSQL, it's being discussed in another topic now.

Not because i just dicovered it, because its not even used now in big companies, this is why i asked for your references to argue about what i said. MS has shiftted the way its SQL Server works, and once again, it not about the amount of data, but about Indexing, hashing and storing all together. I personaly tried to work around with 3 gigs of data in SQL server cause we didn't have enough licences to connect to Oracle. Any DTS or procedure i used, if it ever ended without crashing or errors, took an eternity. But working with 20 tera bytes with oracle, it never crashes and finishes in relatively good time. The only think that might be comparable is actually INFORMIX Vs SQL Server (and yet, informix beats by far SQL Server in dataware treatments).

<flaming filtered>

#18 May 13 2006

samer
Admin

topic locked - fight via PM or IM.

Board footer