LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 18 2012

Joe

Check out Light table

I'm notoriously an anti-IDE kind of programmer.
And that's not going to change any time soon.

However I think you may want to take a look at the Light Table IDE, a new concept that is asking to be funded through Kickstarter now.

For all the things I can't stand about these programs, I have to admit that this guy is showing promise ...

#2 April 18 2012

rtp

Re: Check out Light table

I'm speechless 

I came to love phpStorm, since it can detect class names and id from other files... can read directory and give me image names as i type the image name...etc...  but this is on a total new level ^_^

thanks for the share

#3 April 18 2012

xterm

The REPL dynamic substitution and evaluation seem to be neat, the interface is clean but apart from that, I see no value in it, that other editors or IDEs do not already bring.

Sorry.

#4 October 12 2013

Joe

A new update was released today. You can check it out at the official website.

The Good

I find 3 features worth checking out:

• Instarepl: Evaluate your code on the fly. Works for Clojure, JavaScript and Python so far.

• Integration with IPython. It allows to do things like inline plotting.

• Integration with a browser, which makes JS programming very cool.

The Bad

It still lacks customization, even though it promises a plug in system. After working with emacs, I cannot imagine working in an environment that's not flexible like that.

The Ugly

Absolutely nothing. It's visually stunning. You should definitely give it a try.

#5 October 12 2013

rolf

There's a lot to do in the field of IDEs. Sublime text is a step in a nice direction - that is keep it a text editor but make it much more powerful and intuitive, instead of morphing it into a monstruosity.
Other features I would want to see is smart autocomplete and inline documentation that is parsed from within your classes and JavaDoc...
Many other things can be done if someone sits down and invests time and brain energy in that.

But at the current "state of affairs", I am anti-IDE too, and I'm even having trouble justifying Sublime editor now, and a bunch of frustrating and unnerving experiences with the newer versions, which look much better but are much less programmer friendly in the details (that's another topic) - anyway I still stick to it because of the nice colors.

PS: Sorry about hijacking the thread. Will go back on subject ASAP.
OK regarding this real time debugging thing: Yes!
Units of code... also good.

Last edited by rolf (October 12 2013)

#6 January 8 2014

Joe

And now it's open source.

Board footer