LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 24 2006

zis

Any experienced PHP programmer out there?

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is anyone with a solid experience in PHP on the forum.. Actually I'm currently working on a big project and i might need help. Lebanon being Lebanon everyone works with inferior techs like ASP...
So if anyone has a good experience with PHP, and is interested, PM me or reply here.

The project will mainly use PHP with a MySQL database, and some basic HTML and JavaScript..

#2 April 24 2006

samer
Admin

Re: Any experienced PHP programmer out there?

though I have a (somehow) good experience with the PHP language, Rolf is definitly the ace here.

#3 April 24 2006

Maybe you should consider asp.net then.

#4 April 24 2006

battikh

what is the project about?
i have some experience is php and mysql, but not that much...depends on what is needed

#5 April 24 2006

rolf

Samer wrote:

though I have a (somehow) good experience with the PHP language, Rolf is definitly the ace here.

So mr zis:
- ASP is an inferior tech ??
- Yes I'm experienced but I'm not sure I have the time and dont want to start any big projects.

Anyway if you're doing the programming in PHP you need to:
-Install and configure apache+PHP+Mysql on your PC or another LAN pc to experiment with your scripts
-Get the PHP documentation in chm format from php.net

Sorry I dont want to start any new projects but if you post anything here i'll be glad to help.

Last edited by rolf (April 24 2006)

#6 April 24 2006

zis

Thanks for your replies everyone..

Actually I've been working with php for around 4 years now so I'm pretty experienced..

Rolf ASP is definitely inferior tech on all levels  security is shit the code is not portable there's no good server to support it and it's expensive..

Anyhow the project is enterprise level so it will be complex code..

Samer check your PM later tonight..

#7 April 25 2006

Thats why no one in north america uses asp anymore.  They all upgraded to the .NET veriosn which is actualy better than PHP in all areas.  Free development tools, OOP, multiple langauges, enhanced security, RAD development.  The only thing is that it needs an IIS server.

Please dont insult the .net developers around here.

#8 April 25 2006

zis

.NET is nothing more than a cheap Java wannabe.. And its portability is limited to some windows machines.. it's a joke.
Free dev tools? lol. Free and Microsoft can't be in the same sentence. Multiple languages it's true.. but the problem with that is that all your code is translated to intermediary code which fucks up your application and slows it.. it's impossible to optimise it. Enhanced security? again it depends what you're comparing it too.. security is a joke.. exploits are uncovered each day.

The only thing is that it needs an IIS server.

And that is it's biggest problem.. IIS is the worst web server out there.. Unstable, no security whatsoever.. Lacks features and has expensive addons for every feature you wanna add...

I'm not saying PHP is the ideal language but it's not ASP that will beat it.

#9 April 25 2006

mahdoum

Booo mirc scripting languages rules!!! lol, thats how i started to "program" :S

#10 April 25 2006

zis

lol that's how we all started programming. not forgetting the good old Casio calculator

#11 April 26 2006

mir

.NET is nothing more than a cheap Java wannabe.. And its portability is limited to some windows machines.. it's a joke.

Well i have to start new project at work using .Net ...
some ppl gave good feedback about it
so i guess i will have to judge it myself
but i think i agree about the Java Wannabe thing.. and about the portability issues

and let us not forget batch programming ;p
for me that is how it started

Last edited by mir (April 26 2006)

#12 April 28 2006

Yes FREE dev tools from microsoft believe it.  They are scaled down version of the Visual Studio 2005, and MS SQL.

You still insist on ASP.  Classic ASP is shit I agree, but the .NET version is no where near shit.  Again .NET supports OOP, LESS development time better code management.  You can build a database driven site in 5 minutes using asp.net  can you say the same about PHP?  If you use PHP then your company's expertise is limited to that.  If you use .NET you can hire a C++ programer, J#, java, c#, vb, COBOL and the list goes on.

Ya you can run java but you can you convert your existing desktop application written in C++ to a web application?

What I'm saying is that .NET gives you more options but is limited to microsoft operating systems. UNLESS you go with MONO and run it under linux.

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way.  But some people just bash .NET while some of the top websites in the world use it.  MySpace.com would be one of them.

#13 April 28 2006

zis

Yes FREE dev tools..

They are scaled down version..

You said it.

Now judging ASP.net is subjective it depends what you're comparing it to. It is ages better than classic ASP, i agree. But comparing it to other languages doing the same thing, it sucks.

.NET supports OOP

So does PHP5, Java, Python, Ruby.. all used for web development. Today OO is a mature tech so they are all at similar levels of competency, but still Java and Ruby are a step ahead.

LESS development time

Again less than with classic ASP, and Java perhaps. But not less than with PHP or Ruby on Rails or even Zope.  All the languages now have very powerful development platforms mostly based on the MVC pattern. But you can also develop ASP style (even driven) using PHP with platforms such as Prado.

better code management

The whole principle of the .NET platform relies on this. And it's actually its weakest point. In order for .NET to have "better code management" all your code written in all different languages is transformed to MIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) to be compiled on the fly by the .NET compiler.. Performance wise, it's the worst solution. High fly application need some sections to be written in machine code in order to optimise it coz the compilers aren't performant enough.. Adding an intermediate transformation layer between the code you wrote and the compilation ain't the way to go.

You can build a database driven site in 5 minutes using asp.net  can you say the same about PHP?

Definitely. N if you don't wanna write the code yourself, check Symfony, CakePHP, Zend Platform and of course all the GPLd CMSes..

If you use PHP then your company's expertise is limited to that.  If you use .NET you can hire a C++ programmer, J#, java, c#, vb, COBOL and the list goes on.

Hear hear. Can't argue on this point. Actually it's the main selling pitch of microsoft. Heard of the babel tower?

Ya you can run java but you can you convert your existing desktop application written in C++ to a web application?

Perhaps it's not as simple as with .NET, but doing it ain't the best programming practice.. For desktop dev i think the main disadvantage of Java is the ugliness of its gui..

NLESS you go with MONO and run it under linux.

Yeah.. it's more of a desperate solution.. Coz reverse engineering a platform ain't the best thing for performance.. + microsoft could break the compatibility of mono in any update and they already did it with Samba.

Yeah a lot of sites do use .NET but also a lot of site use Java, PHP and Python. is .NET good? yeah.. is it the best? i don't think..

Don't worry about hijacking the thread.. This kind of discussion is always interesting.. perhaps Samer or a mod could split the topic so we could continue discussing ;)

Edit: lol sorry for the long post:p

Last edited by zis (April 28 2006)

#14 April 30 2006

nuclearcat

Who is MySpace?
Watch http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=10630
Except M$ websites (they dont have choice), there is :
yahoo, under freebsd
google, linux driven
aol, linux powered
ebay... yes, M$ II$. Buttt... all applications is cgi*.ebay.com... what is there? IBM WebSphere... where is the .Net?
mapquest - FreeBSD and solaris
amazon.com - linux
i am tired to give an example... .Net is sucks. It is for amateur companies, who believe in M$ as to idol or god. Any serious company trying to use opensource, to not depend on commercial solutions... why?

Never i will point my technology to proprioetary technology, 0wned by some commercials, who have his specific view to world. You will depend on them. Next patch will break your application, and you have to decide, or have bugfixes(some of them regarding security) and redevelop your code, or just apply important patch from opensource community without breaking your application.
Tomorrow USA will forbid to export technologies to your country, and you are cooked.

Board footer