LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 29 2013

nosense

Software Engineer

can a software engineer enroll in the engineering syndicate (نقابة الهندسة)
or it's treated like computer science not engineering

Thanks

#2 October 29 2013

Rodster

Re: Software Engineer

Nop. I think !

#3 October 29 2013

user

It's not a separate major, so no. You're a computer scientist as far as the law is concerned.

#4 October 29 2013

nosense

for now i am a computer engineer in my third year and i am thinking of studying masters in software engineer abroad
what are your thoughts ?

#5 October 29 2013

mesa177

Please refer to the previous discussion here

#6 October 29 2013

user

As a general rule I personally prefer to be (or to hire) a master professional at one thing instead of a jack of all trades. Wouldn't it be better to get a higher education in your field and be hired at that specialty for a high price?

Whoever will hire you for hardware engineering purposes will not care that you can also software engineer. And vice versa.

That is my opinion anyway.

#7 October 29 2013

nosense

my way of thinking is resulting from many people's experience who majored in CCE and are now working in coding fields, it feels like i am competing with computer science graduates and they obviously have better programming experience than me. Engineering just feels so broad i don't know on what to focus between hardware and programming on the other hand.

#8 October 29 2013

user

Software engineering has little to do with coding. It teaches you how to talk to the client and understand what they want, and write a fancy looking document. And then write another fancy looking documents for the programmers working in your team, telling them exactly what to code and where and when to code it, and set up schedules for them.

It's similar to how a construction engineer learns how to design a building and manage the workers, without going into the detail of how trucks are driven and how concrete is made.

#9 October 29 2013

nosense

i'm really confused X_X
I think i am taking your advice instead of being as you said (Jack of all trades, master of none)
when thinking about future issues i always get anxious and start to (5abbes) with ideas
maybe i am not confident enough

#10 October 29 2013

samer
Admin

There's considerable overlap with the topic mesa posted as well as the recent topic concerning ECE vs CS. Please refer back to those topics.

Board footer