LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 23 2013

mmk92

Windows 8 Fresh re-install on OEM W8 laptop

Anyone here ever tried to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch on a laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8?

My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 (core version I think). Before I erased my hard drive I recovered the product key of my windows installation, but after I installed both Windows 8 core, and Windows 8 Pro, both installations rejected my key because it is incompatible with either of them. I installed both versions from a retail Windows 8 installer, and after extensive searches online I found no source for the OEM installer.

What should I do?

#2 June 23 2013

rolf

Re: Windows 8 Fresh re-install on OEM W8 laptop

Call Microsoft. Or the laptop maker, or their representative in your country...
(I'm assuming your original Windows installation was not a pirated copy)

My guess is you need to get your hand on an OEM installer DVD.
I have an OEM DVD for Windows 7... alternatively, maybe you can find somenone who can lend you an OEM DVD for Windows 8.
Maybe AvoK95

Last edited by rolf (June 23 2013)

#3 June 23 2013

mmk92

Nah, I never install pirated Windows on my computers. If I wanted to use pirated Windows, I'd go for Windows 7 and avoid 8 completely.

I've been looking for an OEM iso online for days, but apparently I am the only person who has ever had this problem in the world. They introduced something called UEFI(replaces legacy efi) in all laptops that come with Windows 8 pre-installed, which comes pre-embedded with your Windows copy's key, and brought up many new complications for other OS installs (even linux).

#4 June 23 2013

DNA

This is why you should burn recovery disks for a new laptop in case of a hard disk failure or format.

#5 June 23 2013

AvoK95

Yes, burn a recovery image to have a backup. Also, don't forget to backup your key since Windows 8 laptops don't have the key on the sticker.

And yeah, you can use an OEM key on any CD copy, I recommend you download an MSDN ISO. I'll PM you a torrent, just tell me what version you want.

Any Windows above Windows Vista can be installed with an OEM key (Considering it's the key to that specific device, or else it won't work) you can use any disk to install it. But have in mind that, you can activate Windows with that key only a few times, then you have to call Microsoft for them to activate it via phone.

#6 June 23 2013

mmk92

@ avok and DNA, on everyone of my laptops so, far I've completely erased the entire hard disk and installed a fresh intallation of the OS since I hate all the bloatware that comes with them so I've never opted for a backup since I wouldn't need it. But now it's different, the OEM windows key is embedded within the BIOS instead of being on a physical sticker on the back of the laptop (with this users won't be promoted to type their key while windows is being installed, it will be done automatically) although I was able to extract it. I installed both Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro so far, and neither accepted the key because the key isn't compatible with the retail version. As I recall, the installation that came with the laptop was "Windows 8 Pro Single-Language" or "Windows 8 Single-Language" I don't know if the "single-language" is a factor here, but its included in the name of the OS so I guess it is?

#7 June 23 2013

Ghaleb

I bought a Lenovo W530 from the US that had Windows 8 x64 pre-installed. When it arrived, i directly noticed that it did not have the normal *sticker* with the product key. When I contact the technical support, they told me that the key is embedded is the BIOS and that upon installing the same Windows version the OS will automatically extract the product key. I did not try this though.  However, I believe you give this a try and get the "Single-Language" version of Windows 8. If you cannot get your hands on getting a Windows 8 single language DVD image then try to build your own using this link http://tugrulaslan.com/?p=74

#8 June 23 2013

mmk92

Ghaleb wrote:

I bought a Lenovo W530 from the US that had Windows 8 x64 pre-installed. When it arrived, i directly noticed that it did not have the normal *sticker* with the product key. When I contact the technical support, they told me that the key is embedded is the BIOS and that upon installing the same Windows version the OS will automatically extract the product key. I did not try this though.  However, I believe you give this a try and get the "Single-Language" version of Windows 8. If you cannot get your hands on getting a Windows 8 single language DVD image then try to build your own using this link http://tugrulaslan.com/?p=74

Haha, that's the first post online that fits my criteria, thanks for the link man, I'll give it a shot.

#9 July 2 2013

mmk92

Apparently my laptop came with a license for Windows 8 CoreSingleLanguage which is not available on the 6 ISO's I have tried so far. Windows 8 Core is the exact same thing as CoreSingleLanguage but they have a completely different set of license keys. CoreSingleLanguage is mainly sold in developing countries and pre-installed by OEMs on their windows 8 branded laptops. Apparently there is a disc image out there for CoreSingleLanguage in russian(which can be converted to english) but I sadly can't get my hands on one.

For the people who's laptops came with Windows 8 CoreSingleLanguage, avoid re-installing Windows 8 until Microsoft releases the official ISOs for this image. Keep your recovery files as backup just in case you want to reset your laptops to their factory defaults.

#10 July 2 2013

rolf

Have you consider calling Microsoft?
Having bought a licensed windows entitles you to support.

Last edited by rolf (July 2 2013)

#11 July 2 2013

Ghaleb

mmk92 wrote:

Apparently my laptop came with a license for Windows 8 CoreSingleLanguage which is not available on the 6 ISO's I have tried so far. Windows 8 Core is the exact same thing as CoreSingleLanguage but they have a completely different set of license keys. CoreSingleLanguage is mainly sold in developing countries and pre-installed by OEMs on their windows 8 branded laptops. Apparently there is a disc image out there for CoreSingleLanguage in russian(which can be converted to english) but I sadly can't get my hands on one.

For the people who's laptops came with Windows 8 CoreSingleLanguage, avoid re-installing Windows 8 until Microsoft releases the official ISOs for this image. Keep your recovery files as backup just in case you want to reset your laptops to their factory defaults.

Which CoreSingleLangauge ? is it en-US? Arabic?

#12 July 2 2013

mmk92

@rolf They redirected me to my laptop's OEM ASUS, and ASUS redirected me to Microsoft.

@Ghaleb en-US I think, but i read that any CoreSingleLanguage image would work with my license, I can obtain a Russian one for example and swap the Russian language pack with an English language pack and it would work perfectly well. So many people have this problem, yet the images are impossible to find, it's very weird.

#13 July 2 2013

Ghaleb

I don't know if I am allowed to post the link. I'll send it via a message, check it and let me know

#14 July 2 2013

rolf

mmk92 wrote:

@rolf They redirected me to my laptop's OEM ASUS, and ASUS redirected me to Microsoft.

That sucks. Maybe something is wrong somewhere... you should be entitled to support, no?
Anyway, hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Last edited by rolf (July 2 2013)

#15 July 2 2013

mmk92

Thanks a lot Ghaleb for the link! I actually stumbled across that thread before, but when the OP's links didn't work properly I just skipped it and I didn't notice that there was 10 pages on that thread!

After reading through the thread, I found a guy who created a patch from a leaked CoreSingleLanguage image that can be applied to an MSDN image(en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso) which is a very easy to find image. After I applied the patch and ran the installation, it never asked me for a license key(it extracted it directly from the BIOS), after the installation I booted to an activated Windows 8 SL core.

#16 July 2 2013

Ghaleb

I am very happy for you ! This will be helpful for me in case I want to change the HDD to an SSD and re-install windows :) Thank you for Confirming

#17 October 5 2013

AvoK95

Install Windows 8.1 SL RTM on a Windows 8 Laptop

I recently reformatted my Windows 8 laptop to Windows 8.1 and I had a few issues with the serial number. So I researched all morning and found some stuff. And decided to post it here.

- You need the Windows 8.1 SL RTM disk image. You can get them at any torrent website.
- You need to extract your Windows 8 serial number from the BIOS using a tool like Key Finder from MagicJellyBean and write it down somewhere.
- Boot into the Windows 8.1 disk, and when it asks you for a serial number. Use this generic key: Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC (This key is for the Core version and not Pro nor Enterprise)
- After you install Windows 8.1, right clock on the start button and open Command Prompt as admin, and type this: "slmgr.vbs /upk"
- Then this: "slmgr.vbs /ipk your-key-here"
- Then simply right click on "This PC" and activate it, and you're done.

Cheers people! :)

#18 October 6 2013

Zahix

I suppose the key I use in cmd isn't the same one for install right ?

Is it the one you retrieved from the Bios ?

Last edited by Zahix (October 6 2013)

#19 October 6 2013

AvoK95

Zahix wrote:

I suppose the key I use in cmd isn't the same one for install right ?

Is it the one you retrieved from the Bios ?

No the one you enter in CMD is your original key which you retrieved from your BIOS. That's they key that makes your Windows Genuine.

#20 October 6 2013

Zahix

After CMD I had to call Microsoft UK line to give me the activation ID. That's how did it just now.

#21 October 6 2013

AvoK95

Zahix wrote:

After CMD I had to call Microsoft UK line to give me the activation ID. That's how did it just now.

You could have just activated normally by just clicking "Activate Windows" under the properties of "This PC".

#22 October 6 2013

Zahix

AvoK95 wrote:
Zahix wrote:

You could have just activated normally by just clicking "Activate Windows" under the properties of "This PC".

I didn't have that option because my SN was automatically denied by Microsoft after install. Now my OS is legitimately activated from MS!
I even have a new Product ID now.

If anyone is interested in activating Windows 8. This is a good guide>> http://www.windows8core.com/activate-wi … -tutorial/

Last edited by Zahix (October 6 2013)

Board footer