LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 20 2013

riqmarmes

Looking for android app (usb mounting related)

Hey guys and sorry for the not very clear subject title, so let's say I have my TV at home, and it can read USBs, I can put a thumb drive and play videos/movies out of it. Is there any way I can make read my Android device as a storage device (in my case Nexus 7)? What I think is the "only" solution would be an android application. But I have no idea what can it be called.
What I am aiming for, is to be able to stream videos from my laptop to the TV. (I can browse them from my tablet)
I am open to any suggestions :)

Thank you very much.

#2 August 20 2013

yasamoka

Re: Looking for android app (usb mounting related)

What you are currently using is MTP - Media Transfer Protocol. You will need to mount your Nexus 7 as a "Mass Storage Device".

There is something I didn't understand, though. You want to connect the Nexus 7 to the TV to be able to access files off the Nexus 7. How is that related to the laptop? And what about browsing them from the tablet?

#3 August 20 2013

riqmarmes

Thanks for the reply, basically I have a shared folder on my laptop that anyone can access through a LAN network. I want to be able to mount that folder through my Nexus 7 to the TV. A bit complicated but I think it's possible with the right tools.

#4 August 20 2013

AvoK95

I think there's an app for that, it's called Nexus Mount tool or something. It's not free though..

#5 August 20 2013

riqmarmes

AvoK95 wrote:

I think there's an app for that, it's called Nexus Mount tool or something. It's not free though..

I didn't find any app that is mounting related tool for Nexus (googled what you, nothing . Would be great if you could link it.
And there is this app called [root] StickMount, doesn't work at all. (actually all of the apps I tried didn't work). Does it affect it if I have CyanogeneMod ?
Thanks.

Last edited by riqmarmes (August 20 2013)

#6 August 20 2013

yasamoka

No way to mount a network-shared (Samba) folder / drive to appear as USB mass storage that I know of. I think this is impractical to do anyways / very few are interested / there might be better alternatives. You might be able, in some way, to get a folder on the Nexus 7 to refer to a network-shared folder, might.

Honestly, I didn't find a mass storage mounting tool either, but I'm sure it can be done some way or another...

If I find one I'll let you know, though.

#7 August 20 2013

AvoK95

riqmarmes wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

I didn't find any app that is mounting related tool for Nexus (googled what you, nothing . Would be great if you could link it.
And there is this app called [root] StickMount, doesn't work at all. (actually all of the apps I tried didn't work). Does it affect it if I have CyanogeneMod ?
Thanks.

What I do with my phone is, I simply go into recovery and mount the SD card.

Here's the link of the app :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … rter&hl=en

#8 August 21 2013

riqmarmes

Thanks for the reply guys,
@AvoK95, I'm basically looking for the opposite software, something that makes my Nexus 7 be a Mass Storage device.
@yasamoka, yeah I thought it wouldn't really be possible. Still worth a try,
It would have been nice to just plug in my Nexus 7 and start watching stuff straight from my laptop, basically like opening files from a shared folder which is possible PS3 or Xbox 360, but the consoles are using HDMI as connector to the TV. Although I could do the same for the tablet, but I lose resolution and the adapter isn't very cheap.
Thanks again.

Board footer