LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 7 2006

darkstar

Microsoft says Open Office.org 10 years behind

#2 March 7 2006

rolf

Re: Microsoft says Open Office.org 10 years behind

Ha microsoft can put their big fat office you know where and jump off a cliff.
I challenge anyone to get openoffice and then tell me that it is 10 years behind.

Open office have developped in a couple of years and for FREE what microsoft took more than a decate to develop, and less the bugs. What do you think?

According to Yates, there are very good reasons for people to pay $500

Yes, those who pay it are mosly afraid of breaking compatibility of their documents.

There are also very goods reasons why governements around the world are migrating hundreds of thousands if not millions of computers to openoffice (israel, singapore, france, germany... )

I am repeating below a previous post: (in this thread: http://www.lebgeeks.com/forums/t3964-Open-Office.html )

Here's a screenshot I took from "base", the openoffice equivalent of MS access, with a form edit window open...

Unfortunately it cannot open MS access files directly!

85689893.jpg

This is a shot of "Impress"  the openoffice equivalent of PowerPoint.
And it is impressive! This file was originally done in powerpoint, and it looks exactly the same! And you can edit the graphs and everything, even with the same menus and wizards. BTW the chart you see is an embedded excel object, which means that the openoffice equivalent of excel also works well.

Guys this is almost like a free MS office. No doubt a lot of companies will switch.

37ad8919.jpg

Last edited by rolf (March 7 2006)

#3 March 7 2006

rolf

Actually he may be comparing with office 12, and he may be considering that office 12 is like 10 years ahead of it's time and ms is giving us 2016 technology today (which doesnt surprise me from microsoft PR), because if you compare ooo to ms office 10 as shown in the last post it's pretty close.

The MS Word 12 interface is actually interesting and looks nice, it consists of tabs, and not menus anymore.

From the same site:

"New Office to start Microsoft rot?"

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/2132/53/

Last edited by rolf (March 7 2006)

#4 March 8 2006

mahdoum

I don't care  I go buy the cheap version of MS Office (if you know what I mean ;)) and then use it

#5 March 8 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Mahdoum, it is a shame to use pirated software when an easily accessible GPLed analog is available :)

Really a shame :)

#6 March 8 2006

mir

The nice thing is that with Open Office u can save in .doc format for example
and so far Open Office can read from microsoft formats (they may not do so in the future)
i am not using the new open office, but still the old one has nice features along with abiword.
sometimes, it is just easier to go get the 1$ CD instead of doing a download
But i Like to use Open Source free software, legal and clean w less buggy
w to encourage the community of open source developers.. ano haram the least i can do is use that software

#7 March 8 2006

samer
Admin

ditto @ teodor. check out this recent blog post:  Huge List of FREE software

#8 March 8 2006

mahdoum

I really don't think it's a shame... When there are rules (that are reinforced) in this country about piracy, I'm more then happy then using pirated software. There's a lot of software out there that are free and do things just as good as Adobe Photoshop, how many people use it though?

#9 March 9 2006

teodorgeorgiev

No, Mahdoum, sorry, it is not a shame at all, even the opposite  - you are a proud citizen of your country!

You are great, keep walking in the same direction (y)

#10 March 9 2006

mahdoum

:sarcasm:

#11 March 9 2006

samer
Admin

here's a lot of software out there that are free and do things just as good as Adobe Photoshop, how many people use it though?

The Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is used by a lot of graphic designers.

#12 March 9 2006

mahdoum

not as many as you think, I know about Gimp and i've tried it

#13 March 9 2006

rolf

mahdoum wrote:

not as many as you think, I know about Gimp and i've tried it

Yeah and how is it compared to photoshop?

#14 March 10 2006

mahdoum

it's not bad, but I still prefer photoshop

Board footer