LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 22 2005

mahdoum

1Gbps internet service

While you guys in Lebanon are fighting to get proper 512kb and america and uk are in the 1mbps to 8mbps range Hong Kong released the 1Gbps internet for residential usage at a rate of $215 a month. This means they can download 128 MB a second or to make it clearer download a 4.7 GB dvd (movie) in around 38 seconds only.

I'm thinking of working in Hong Kong after I finish my studies kermel el internet 

btw source can be found here

#2 April 22 2005

rolf

Re: 1Gbps internet service

No way. Where can I learn chinese?

#3 April 22 2005

rolf

Dude europe and the us are in the 20 megs range, not 8. Note that when you're talking dsl you're talking assymetrical, with the upload speed several times less than the download.
In honkong they didn't hesitate to offer SYMMTRICAL bandwidth.
Also note that at this speed range the internet servers and your PC become the bottleneck. And I doubt there are lots of servers out there able to cope with 1GB downloads, plus your hard drive has to be real fast, so your DVD in 38seconds would'nt happen too often. Maybe in the near future though.

Frankly, I am a real activist when it comes to internet speed. But one gigabyte symmetrical seems like overkill to me. Heck that's probably the capacity of the lebanese backbone.

But any way you put it, Hong Kong are the masters of telecom on this planet.

#4 April 22 2005

rolf

Sorry dude, I had to write a long post and sound smart and all.

#5 April 22 2005

rolf

Dude we need to put together some task force in lebanon to promote liberalisation of the internet. Any ideas?

#6 April 23 2005

samer
Admin

yes, we should !

#7 April 23 2005

mahdoum

Yeah, rolf after I posted the topic I remembered that the cpu cannot really write 4.7GB in 37 secs so the internet definatly has to be a bit slower  oh well we can dream.

Btw one of the reasons that internet sux in lebanon is the fact that our infrastructure isn't very strong/stable.

#8 April 23 2005

mezin

4.3* GB

#9 April 25 2005

toxic

yes fast internet 

we want it

#10 April 25 2005

jayinferno

promoting the internet ?? huh... yeah.. the govt previously didnt accept a deal with an ISP like 5 years ago or smthn to have toll free ISP numbers (like europe or anywhere outside when u dial an internet nbr its toll free and u only pay the connection. They didnt accept it.)
One more thing, we all rmmber that the govt banned Net2Phone for quite a while right ? (ppl like us were able to bypass it, but still)..

So internet liberalisation ?? humm.. no chance.. cuz it would mean less profit, actually much less profit for the govt , and less control on telecom..i guess marijuana liberalisation in this country would be an easier task.. 

BUT count me in for any activist move.. hell yeah ! Telecom needs a boost in this country.. its about time.

Sorry for the depressing, melancolic message..  :(

#11 April 25 2005

Ragnar78

Well from my experience with ADSL, the more you have bandwidth the more you can download simultaneiously more diffrent videos or music, but speed almost never change for each download, cause from where your are downloading is also a problem, not everyone has adsl...and second, and i might sound wierd, but you get bored downloading movies and stuff, so you;ll just donalod updates for apps or only the real music you want.

#12 April 25 2005

Charly

but you get bored downloading movies and stuff, so you;ll just donalod updates for apps or only the real music you want.

that's exactly whats been happening to me lately, although i dont have a superb connection.... anyways, 1 GB huh? well they released it too soon, they must've waited a bit more, just so that the computers will accept this kind of connection... i really liked Orbit SatNet's offer, but the thing is it's too expensive, using ODSL.. The maximum service level speed is 1024 kbps, i dont think an individual user will need more than that, for $500 a month.. Ouch!

#13 April 26 2005

darkstar

I want to play ONLINE GAMES  , I dont want 1gb i am a bit unselfish , give me 256k ...

#14 February 12 2006

hisham88

the geekest internet user cannot use more than 512 or lets say 1 mbit !!!   sites have a limited browsing speed which i dont think is more than 50 kbytes/sec !!   concerning downloading i think the max u can get is shi 5 mbytes per sec ( not sure ) unless ur downloading from a p2p network  or huge sites like newzbin!!    and darkstar ur right gaming is optimal if u have 256 !! :)   correct me if im wrong !!

and its true when they say one home user in hongkong  can provide internet for all lebanon  lol !!  peaceZzzZ

#15 February 12 2006

nuclearcat

hisham88
root@VISP-Cus34-DSLAM3:~# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ … .4.tar.bz2
--16:10:38--  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ … .4.tar.bz2
           => `linux-2.6.15.4.tar.bz2'
Resolving www.kernel.org... done.
Connecting to www.kernel.org[204.152.191.5]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 39,846,379 [application/x-bzip2]

100%[====================================>] 39,846,379   581.71K/s    ETA 00:00

16:11:46 (581.71 KB/s) - `linux-2.6.15.4.tar.bz2' saved [39846379/39846379]
This is when you need high speeds. :)

#16 February 15 2006

hisham88

yeah well i don't understand this stuff so i'll leave it to you

#17 February 15 2006

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

This is when you need high speeds. :)

mmmh, interesting...
would you please do this for me?

more /etc/shadow |grep root

Last edited by rolf (February 15 2006)

#18 February 15 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf, even if he does it, you will spend way too much cracking the password. Way too much.
Even on a super SUN cluster :)
And VISP are changing their passwords on every 45 days :)

P.S. Aaaaaah, I forgot about iptables + public-private key authentication ;)

I think that a netstat -anp will do a better job for you ;)

#19 February 16 2006

nuclearcat

root:$1$yDCq4dFi$GPzFeADc0ZCE2F0yvp9Wa0:13195:0:99999:7:::
Enjoy :)

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 16 2006)

Board footer