LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 19 2013

Fischer

Questions about ubuntu update manager

I'm on ubuntu 12.04 lts

1- the update manager says i have packages that needs to be updated, so i closed it and run sudo apt-get update and upgrade, some packages were updated but not the onces that the update managed told me about, basically none of the packages shown in the update manager were updated, why? it used to work before!

2- I tried to update them from the update manager, i have google chrome, it needs to be updated, the update manager downloaded it 3 times! the update size of chrom is 43 Mb, the update manager downloads 39 mb and then restart the download, it has restared the download of chrome 3 times! why? all the other packages are updated, chrome is still updating right now, i can't cancel the process.

#2 May 19 2013

venam

Re: Questions about ubuntu update manager

--

Last edited by venam (July 31 2013)

#3 May 19 2013

Fischer

forget it! the new kernel updates screwed my pc, my dualbooted space became full (which is 60 gb) and i had to turn it off, my graphic card wasn't compatible, damn i hate ubuntu, an update screwed my pc, and i wasn't upgrading to 12.10, it was just a regular update, i always hated ubuntu, i went for it coz linux mint cinnamon desktop doesn't run on my laptop... all my projects are gone... once again, c'est la vie :(

I'm gonna give crunchbang stable release another try, i really hope this time, it's compatible with my wireless drivers, debian is a better idea hopefully on a dualbooted laptop.

#4 May 19 2013

Adnan

Next time create a separate /home partition in which you store your projects and if ever you change or break your Linux OS, you won't have to worry about backing those up.

#5 May 19 2013

Fischer

great idea, i didn't think about it, since ubuntu 12.04  is a long term support release and i didn't think that regular updates will break my pc, i wasn't going to change my ubuntu os for the next 5 years or so, thus i thought that i was safe, it was running great.

I should write a novel called "linux os and me, bittersweet love story" :)

#6 May 19 2013

venam

--

#7 May 19 2013

Fischer

i didn't  do anything, all i did is running the update manager and waited, suddenly it said that my hard disk is full, and it freezed, i restarted ubuntu, and it said that the graphic card isn't compatible, i tried reconfiguring it, but the os freezed, it's just a mess. Did you see now why i asked the question above? did you see why i always close the update manager and use apt-get instead? the update manager always freezes and causes problems.

i hope that my data are safe, I'll try to boot from crunchbang, i'm not using any ubuntu based software anymore, if crunchbang doesn't work, I'll go for my favorite distro, linux mint debian edition.

This summer i'm creating my own os, customized for my own needs, the updated graphic drivers and wifi drivers that are shipped with linux these days suck, they don't work on my laptop, i tried every distro out there, some aren't compatible with my graphic card, others aren't compatible with my networking card and others like ubuntu are just wonderful distros to waste your laptop resources, call me crazy, i love being crazy, enough is enough, i'm creating my own distro as soon as I'm done with my usek finals.

#8 May 20 2013

scorpioxy

Like venam said, your data is probably safe. Boot from another kernel, another OS or a livecd or similar and rescue your data. Updates are usually safe, but I'm sure you already know that there are too many things that can go wrong. You obviously had an underlying problem with apt and so something went wrong.

Whatever distribution you're going to use, make sure to:
- Use a different partition for your /home
- Back up your data to an external HD or online service
- If you're going to encrypt your data, make sure you don't lose your key or password
- Always BACK UP your data
- Upgrades are usually ok but fresh installs might be better if you already have a problem with apt

If you need any help, feel free to ask here.

#9 May 20 2013

Fischer

Issue solved, at least for now, i installed crunchbang, rescued my data, and fixed the wireless issue by downloading debian firmware. Big thanks to everyone!

#10 May 20 2013

rolf

Fischer wrote:

damn i hate ubuntu

You seem to hate many things :) How long before you hate me?

PS: what do you mean your projects are gone? You can surely recover your data unless you HD is damaged. And a word of advice: stick to Windows. Or OSX if you can afford it.

Cheers

PS2: just read the rest of the thread... glad it turned out OK in the end.

Last edited by rolf (May 20 2013)

#11 May 20 2013

Fischer

I hate a lot of stuff online, i hate no person in real life :) {except 6.99 billion )

I hate ubuntu because it's heavier than a bulldozer.

i hate debian because it doesn't come with all the drivers that you need, you have to spend a lot of time looking for what is missing.

i hate arch because it's a rolling release, my internet sucks so updating pacman will break my pc, i tried it, besides the drivers are not backward compatible and if the update breaks your pc, there's a very tiny chance that you will restore things back.

I hate opensuse because it looks and feels like windows plus it's heavier than 10 bulldozers stuck on top of each other.

i hate centos/fedora because I'm a debian user, debian users hate centos for some reason :) (think of it like real madrid fans hate barcelona )

I hate gentoo because...  well I i have never tried it

i hate mac because it's too damn expensive - i hate iphone for the reason, you can get cheaper android devices that are more powerful than iphone, same applies for mac product line in general.

I hate windows because there's a billion reason to hate windows :) i hate windows phone because there's 10 billion reasons to hate windows phones

And finally i hate android because these damn java apps keeps restarting without your permission, you can force stop them a billion time and they'll keep restarting wasting your ram and your battery life, besides there are some apps that you just can't remove for example, I don't use google maps, i removed it, the very next day, play store downloaded it for me.

See? there are many other software and programming languages that i hate... anyway...
I can't stick with windows, try running python on a windows 7 64 bit, install virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper, then create a virtualenv, install python image library in the virtualenv, see what happens, then you'll understand what i mean :)  windows sucks if you do python !!

Last edited by Fischer (May 20 2013)

#12 May 20 2013

rolf

I see you missed BSD. Did you try it?

#13 May 20 2013

Fischer

not on my pc, i'm trying it on one of my vps, netbsd to be exact. it's hard to learn but i like it, i hope someday i will learn it, i like to learn hard stuff cobol, assembly, I'll never call myself a programmer unless i learn those, maybe because my idol in programming is an american friend 65 years old, he created the first CAD software for bbc in cobol, yes i love to learn these stuff, i met him by mistake and since then i want to be like him.

#14 May 21 2013

rolf

First CAD software for BBC in Cobol?
- Why would the first CAD software be coded for a television station? What is meant by "fisrt CAD software for bbc" anyway?
- How can this claim be proven?
- Cobol is a language used for banking, etc. it is not the best choice - it would be like coding a game in PERL or PHP. Why Cobol?

Thanks :) I am pretty skeptic sometimes, it's nothing personal!

#15 May 21 2013

Fischer

sorry mate, I'll quote him

In the old programs (DOS, mind you), I wrote my own graphic libraries, right down to chip level.  In 84, I already had hardware/software to capture images from a PAL video camera and displayed it, in real time, on a DOS system...  (I was the first in Uk to design a successful "frame store" and its interface..., as a plug-in board to PCs.  Sold it, at the time, to many "Big" companies in Uk including MOD and BBC...)

I searched for the conversation we had almost 2 years ago in gmail :) the CAD that i was talking about is in C and it was not sold for bbc.

As for cobol, i quote him again, we were having conversation a mysql arabic support

When I was in Iraq (1980-84), I developed a huge stock management system (150,000 items) on a main frame (HP 3000), and in COBOL... The problem we had was that it was to be two languages: English and Arabic. For that reason, ALL our keyboards had, believe it, LOWERCASES as European characters, and UPPERCASES were arabic! It worked ok on the screen, as you set the case before using the keyboard. It DID NOT, when we sent the texts to the printer: all uppercases were arabic characters, all lower cases were european!  What a mess!!! The biggest problem I had was with DATES: texts LTR, bloody dates RTL! It was a GREAT FUN...  Even under Saddam.

Last edited by Fischer (May 21 2013)

#16 May 21 2013

venam

--

#17 May 21 2013

Fischer

I said it before and i say it again, i gave ubuntu 67 Gb.  it was a regular update,  260 Mb, the update manager started updating, i left the pc, had launch, studied a bit, when i came back it was freezing, i left it alone, and then it said that there's no enough free space for the update lol, (mind you, on my crunchbang, i'm using 2 gb right now, and I installed on it pretty every software i used ubuntu)
I restarted ubuntu and it said that, my graphic card isn't compatible (i already have nomodest in my grub).

I'm really thinking of creating my own debian based os customized for my own needs. Besides there's a major problem for us, or at least for me, every linux distro is gonna become a rolling release, debian is becoming a semi rolling release, ubuntu announced it's gonna become a rolling release, i speak on behalf of myself at least when i say i cannot use a rolling release:

When i installed arch, i updated pacman and it installed many stuff, broke half of my packages, my wifi drivers were working before the update, i had no wifi after the update, I don't have a fast connection to tolerate a rolling release, and half of the packages that arch installed weren't backward compatible. Imagine in 2 or 3 years that you update apt, and 1 gb gets downloaded, do you have the bandwidth for that? maybe you do, i don't and my connection isn't fast enough.

The rolling update development model philosophy is like the capitalism in the computer world! It's great if you have a powerful pc and a blazing fast internet connection, But if you don't, you're a dead guy.

#18 May 21 2013

venam

--

#19 May 21 2013

Fischer

I dont know about you my friend, but when that issue happened with my archbang, i asked unix.stackoverflow.com, arch forum and archbang forum for help, all said i have to reinstall arch and said that if i have a slow connection, it's better to use another distro, that day i swore not to touch arch or any rolling release again as long as i live in lebanon,

Board footer