LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 27 2006

mir

Show You Something

Hello Guys!

I Want to Show you Something  ... Hey! Don't Have that Nasty Idea.
Uhum...I Want to Show you a small application I coded in some free Time after Work and Uni
(It actually took me 2 " Late Night Sleep" [11:00 --> 4:00 in the morning stuff])

The Reason Behind this is that I had that kinda huge fight with ppl at work,and I am Leaving
It is a Final Decision cuz it is a matter of principles and priorities
[such a story...DO NOT ASK ABOUT IT, Cuz if i wanted to tell,I would have done SO!]

So, I coded an application to make little money from it
I had in Mind a really useful,Light,Funny,small Application that could be sold to a relatively large number of ppl for very very little price and that might bring future programming projects to me.

In Tech Words: Something not one-user specific,Not Traditional,Good User Interface,Really Light

So I came out with this:
That is a Stick Note/ Reminder System.
Check the Pictures(Print Screens),It is True that a Picture can save a million word
http://mirpic.blogspot.com click on pic to enlarge

It Has two types of Notes:
- Self Notes: Funny Notes that can be loaded,hidden,moved anywhere in the
               screen Customized,Colored...and that would self Remind/Notice u in/at
               specific time [check the pics  ]
- System Notes : Notes Stored in a database,You can Previously receive a warning before an n time value ex: keep warning u before 12 days until u mark it done.

I originally did the database with sql server,then did a version with
Microsoft Access,and i can make it in other kind of database if u
do not have any of the above.Just Notice me of ur Database System.

If I did not Know this is a good application,I wouldn't tell the Geeks About it
[check the pics if u still didn't do that,err at you]

So guys,I want ur help in couple of stuff:

- Name... what should i call it, forget Note Management System,or stick note. I am thinking of something weird and kewl like some foreign word,a Person Name ,an african word,it doesn't even has to be a word

- Suggestions and Improvements

- Help In Promoting the stuff: anno if u know some ppl who frequently use the computer and that are kinda busy ppl,bizness ppl,forgetful ppl,you...
and of course u get a share out of it 

Price Issue: as i told you something very very cheap
I was thinking 30$ and u get a 10$ for you,20$ for me.I think u can easily find
6 - 7 ppl who use it and make easy 70$ - 80$

So thank you for ur help ppl 
I am Ready for any programming projects starting 15th February 
Hope it Works.
10x again

#2 January 27 2006

samer
Admin

Re: Show You Something

Congrats :)

Frankly, I think it's a saturated area, there are hundreds of Free programs out there that have the same functionality (for example RainLendar that I, bola, and many other members already use) ; So I think that $30 is too much for a copy-cat (excuse the term). My guess is that you include special features not available in the free programs (be creative!) so that it's worth these 30,000 cents.

just my $0.02 ^.^

#3 January 27 2006

rolf

Yeah me too i have one main criticism: $30 is too much.
Otherwise I'm impressed by the screenshots. Looks nice. Try to keep the user interface as discrete and simple as possible and get cool sounds to go with it.

Salemto la georges by the way.

Last edited by rolf (January 27 2006)

#4 January 28 2006

samer
Admin

get cool sounds to go with it.

eh, but don't forget to put a "disable sounds" option.

#5 January 28 2006

mir

okey, the sound advice is nice.

I think i would add password protection.
so when a user is away, he hides all his notes.
when he comes back he can reload all the old notes he had, at the same status and postion...that is another late night sleep.

I will do something in arabic.

I think if i target bit older ppl who are not so geek,like business men then maybe
i can sell it for something like 15 $ - 20 $ maybe

any other idea suggestions guys ? :( :(

salemeto la georges

i  think u should be worried more about so7it Bill... haha.. the kill bill not
Next note: bring flowers and go to bill funeral.. he was a dear frnd.. lool

Last edited by mir (January 28 2006)

#6 January 28 2006

KingRhye

Ok first of all, when you have an idea about some application, search and check if no one has done it before you (refer to Samer's post).
Second, this is a very simple program, and you don't need to use MSSQL server or even Access, stick to a normal "db" file of your creation.
Third, when you wanna market a program, there are simple rules to follow to protect your software, one of them is to not reveal the whole concept in such a forum especially that this is a very simple program to code and anyone could rip it right now, another is to add some sort of security to prevent any dweeb from getting hold of your program and distributing it everywhere for free or for less than your price.
Fourth, for future reference, pricing has nothing to do with how much time it took you to code this program or how difficult it is or whatever, you could sell this program for 1$ or 1000$, it only depends on who you're selling it to and how much he needs it from you.
Last but not least, IMO it's a nice program, the design is simple yet attractive, but it still needs work.. sort of "peut faire mieux, courage". But to be honest, I don't think it'll sell.

#7 January 28 2006

samer
Admin

I think if i target bit older ppl who are not so geek,like business men then maybe
i can sell it for something like 15 $ - 20 $ maybe

Actually, if you are targeting business men, I think you should stick with the "you get what you pay for" philosophy and charge (a little) more. I hope you have a good marketing strategy in mind, since like I said before, it's a saturated area. So make it different, make it lebanese ;)

#8 January 29 2006

mir

First want to tell you, sold the first copy, for 20$  for the guy where my frnd works, he really found it easy to use and small.He is using it on his laptop

Second, this is a very simple program, and you don't need to use MSSQL server or even Access, stick to a normal "db" file of your creation.

well i have all my personal databases on mssql server..so i was doing nothing..listening to some music, then had the idea of the prog,did a new database .. then i ended up staying late till i did part of the prog 

the acess story: i was learning the MSSQL security.. i really messed up..
couldn't log in to the database..so i did a quick acess db.
I can't help notice how much KingRhye is a good programmer

Third, when you wanna market a program, there are simple rules to follow to protect your software, one of them is to not reveal the whole concept in such a forum especially that this is a very simple program to code and anyone could rip it right now.

it could seem easy to do  .... thank u for that advice. i am still noob in those fields. but i think this is the good way to get advice and feedback and suggestions
so u can improve the program.

another is to add some sort of security to prevent any dweeb from getting hold of your program and distributing it everywhere for free or for less than your price

that is a big issue i have been thinking of.
usually i don't like to code a program where the biggest part of it is to protect it
i think it somehow kills performance and slow things down.
It kinda wastes the big effort i make in coding to improve performance
and usually no matter how difficult the protect strategy is, there is always a way to crack it, trust me, I have a little experience in testing software protection method. there is always a way around.

IMO it's a nice program, the design is simple yet attractive, but it still needs work.. sort of "peut faire mieux, courage"

Thank u  , it was nice to code it, now i add it to my codes and can re-use part of the codes in other project.
I am putting a final touch on it, and workin on arabic version [needs shi 1 hr max]

The improvements will come as i sell the prog, some ppl may ask some features to be added,this little thing or that...so like that i don't put lot of time on it,unless i want to personally customize it for my own use 

oops that was a long post guys

#9 January 29 2006

KingRhye

If I was to reply now, it would be an even bigger and more detailed post lol .. so I'll save my feedback for msn when I catch you online :)

#10 January 30 2006

samer
Admin

bah :/ we need the juicy stuff  -post, post, post! ^^

Board footer