LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 24 2013

JamesRoyPoulter

Hello - from London!

Hi guys and girls,

Nice to find a forum. I'm James from London, and I'm trying to work out where to launch my next startup.

I've been in Beirut for a while, but am not sure if this is the place. I want to meet loads of engineers and people working here to get a better idea of whats going on in the tech/internet/software scene.

I'm a scientist at heart, a philosophy graduate from Nottingham/Hong Kong, and a chartered accountant by training with Ernst & Young.

I founded unilibri.com and have been working on it for the last few years - this ended at the beginning of December when we weren't able to raise the $2m in funding we required. I'm now working on a non-profit, teaching myself Arabic and (to) code whilst formulating the next start-up.

If anyone wants to grab a coffee somewhere (I'm Sanayeh/Hamra), just let me know. It would be great to hear what you are working on and see if I can help out.

Thanks again, I look forward to meeting you and keeping up with this forum.

James

Random extra:

The question that I was asked when I joined - I'm assuming to check whether I was human, not intelligent! - was nearly identical to the one posed at 2:05 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTz2i4V … zA&index=3

Whats funny is that whilst I was fortunate enough to get it right, we are naturally built to answer this question wrongly, whilst a computer - perhaps Watson - should be a lot better.

But anyway. Great to meet you all.

#2 February 24 2013

samer
Admin

Re: Hello - from London!

Great to have you here James.

I took the question from Thinking Fast and Slow. The intent is to make sure that the user signing up is willing to overcome a cognitive bias to register. I believe that this is correlated to how much effort they will put into reading and abiding by the rules.

Since implementing that extra step, there have been way less incidents where the newly registered member has completely ignored the rules. Whether this is merely a result of the dropped number of sign-ups remains to be established.

We held this meeting last Friday, it was attended by around 45 programmers. We'll make sure to inform you of future events.

Welcome aboard!

#3 February 24 2013

JamesRoyPoulter

Re: Hello - from London!

Yes the reason I found the forum is from seeing the event. Just a little too late. Oops. Hopefully that won't happen again, it looked good.

I just wonder how many people get the problem wrong by thinking too fast the first time. But it doesn't matter, and I bet it has had a positive influence on compliance with forum rules.

Thanks for the greeting.

James

Board footer