LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 27 2012

badbyte

badbyte's intro

Hi geeks,
I have been a member for a while but didn't really introduce myself, so I'm goanna do it now.
I made my HSD in Lebanon studied computer science Germany and came back.

During my studies I gathered experience in Linux, Networking and Microcontrollers (realtime embedded OS).
I hope that I could help you in these fields when you come to questions.

Just like every other geek I love gaming, I die for Borderlands 1 ,2 and all parts of Mass Effect. They are my favorate.
A more strategic game that I also love is League of Legends, and when I feel creative :) I'll take a spin in minecraft.

I'm happy to be here and hope even to get to know some of you in person.

badbyte..

#2 December 27 2012

ironman

Re: badbyte's intro

welcome to the forum badbyte :)

#3 December 27 2012

Joe

Hello badbyte and welcome.

I'm a big Linux fan (we're quite a few here on the forum). Do you use it on your home computer? Which is your distro of choice?
Glad you're here and I hope we'll continue to see more of you :)

#4 December 27 2012

badbyte

For my server I use debian, office use also debian and if I want it to be an eyecandy I'll prefer ubuntu distros.
For security and wireless lan openBSD is my recommendation.

#5 December 27 2012

rtp

first of all welcome to the forum.

Why did you come back to Lebanon?

Am thinking of studying in Finland if I get accepted, so just wondering why would somebody come back after
they have went to europe?

#6 December 27 2012

badbyte

Well the current crisis in europe is not that easy. Especially for someone who is foreign. Second you currently have now all the Italians, Spanish, and Protugese, coming willing to do the same job for 25% less the normal german Wage.
I don't know how it will be in Finland, only that it will be damn cold!!! Germany has in the early morning -15 degrees. So at least make sure that the classes are in english.

#7 December 27 2012

rtp

I don't know, I still think its nice living in a european country versus lebanon.
At least in the end of the day, you know there is some sort of a government behind you that
is going to take care of you and your children on the long run.

Yeah i know finland is very cold, and I hate the cold. Yet its my only ticket to get outside lebanon
in a hope of getting a european citizenship one day.

The classes are in english, thanks for your concern.

#8 December 27 2012

badbyte

I know what you mean, another thing where I saw my drawback was that most of my collegues where working in IT companies and already knew how this and that is running through working experience which I missed here in Lebanon.
So I don't know how it works in Finnland. I would suggest to make a week vacation in Finnland in order to take a look around and see how things go in everyday's life.

#9 December 27 2012

rtp

badbyte wrote:

I know what you mean, another thing where I saw my drawback was that most of my collegues where working in IT companies and already knew how this and that is running through working experience which I missed here in Lebanon.
So I don't know how it works in Finnland. I would suggest to make a week vacation in Finnland in order to take a look around and see how things go in everyday's life.

Thanks for the head's up, but I rather not waste money on visiting.  If i had the money I wouldn't be going there in the first place, the reason am going to Finland is because university is totally free! Ofcourse, I have to pay my housing and stuff like that but its worth it I guess.  I already have a bachelor degree so I will be doing MS degree in Computer Science or something close to that.

I have around 2 years experience as a web developer, but am not putting my hopes up on finding a web development job tho, since i can't speak Finnish.  Worst case scenario I spend 2 years doing my masters and I get back with a masters degree.  Best case scenario, I like finland, get a job and stay there and get a citizenship and then I can travel around europe as I please...

#10 December 27 2012

mohammadk97

Off topic guys  Anywho, hello and welcome to Lebgeeks badbyte =D

#11 December 28 2012

badbyte

rtp: web development is a very broad subject, what technologies did you work with exactly? jQuery, AJAX, or PHP?

#12 December 28 2012

AvoK95

mohammadk97 wrote:

Off topic guys  Anywho, hello and welcome to Lebgeeks badbyte =D

LOL, you should look at the other topic me and badbyte were on.

@badbyte,
Welcome to the forum ^^

#13 December 28 2012

badbyte

@AvoK95: We really have to meet :)

#14 December 28 2012

rtp

badbyte wrote:

rtp: web development is a very broad subject, what technologies did you work with exactly? jQuery, AJAX, or PHP?

Php, .Net , Jquery, Ajax, xml and all that stuff and now I found a Java + wordpress job. 

For all the people who went off topic, its fine, you are forgiven

Board footer