LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 3 2005

jayinferno

VoIP in Lebanon. How illegal is it ?

Yeah.. although am a consultant, all my connections never reached the Government.. on purpose heheh

Anyways, how illegal is VoIP in Lebanon ? Is there any Legal form of VoIP accepted within the government ? Or is there any Gov't source i can talk to or negotiate with ? I know it wont be easy to get an answer here about this, am just crossing my fingers while surfing my contacts in lebanon again to try to find an opening to our beloved Gov't.

The Reason is that i am willing to venture in a VoIP business, a very competitive one, straight from the US. They're just waiting for me to try to clarify this legality issue, then they want me to be their rep in lebanon.

Well..i guess that won't see the light in Leb anytime soon though. Argh..

#2 October 3 2005

rolf

Re: VoIP in Lebanon. How illegal is it ?

You can find small shops offering cheap international calls thanks to voip. There is one in dekwaneh, and I heard there are a lot in dahiyeh.
We used VOIP until last year when we reinstalled the OS and lost the program.
Yeah but unfortnately, if you want to go into big-scale business, yeah it might be a problem. But since this is lebanon, where software pirates expand their business by having multiple branches and by advertising "new arrivals" on their websites... your business might succeed if you're not afraid of bribing from time to time.
If you want to go into it from this perspective, you can ask software pirates, like ricca, how he does to stay in this illegal business.
Note that the official VOIP resellers who worked before VOIP got outlawed seem to have disappeared from the market.

#3 October 3 2005

Halo

In the Bourj you find these shops everywhere 

500 LL per minute though :(

I'm talking about in my other topic though if you can send voice messages during gameplay. I mean sending individual messages works fine, but my ping is now 19/25 sent/recieved and I'm using Terranet

IDM has better ping, right?

#4 October 4 2005

jayinferno

Rolf, thanks for the advice. But the thing is that the company is a professional one in the states, and definitely i prefer not to take it into illegal business. I mean yeah i can offer accounts for pirate shops.. but i think you do agree on the fact that it wont meet the strategic plans of a big compan y..
Arghhh.. lebanon ..!

Board footer