LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 12 2012

Abbabbj

Re: Web Design Crimes!

That was informative but shouldn't the www be normally identified by the DNS as a request from www not as part of the domain name or any web server on it?

#27 May 12 2012

Ayman

Abbabbj wrote:

That was informative but shouldn't the www be normally identified by the DNS as a request from www not as part of the domain name or any web server on it?

The network administrator for a certain domain is usually in charge of mapping the names in the domain to specific machines and their IP addresses.

The network administrator maps with a list of names and IP addresses, like this:

www.lebgeeks.com - 209.20.78.40
lebgeeks.com - 209.20.78.49
ftp.lebgeeks.com - 209.20.78.40
etc...

The­ administrator can put anything in that list including subdomains such as ayman.lebgeeks.com and when someone types in those names the name server will return the IP addresses associated with them.

If a website works without the "www" prefix, it means that the administrator has decided that if there is no prefix, the IP address returned should be the IP address of the Web server on which the the domain with a www prefix points to too. Some web hosts would have this working by default out of the box so you don't have to care about it.

#28 May 17 2012

peekaie

Relevant comic

Last edited by peekaie (May 17 2012)

#29 May 18 2012

Brashen

I would be laughing if that wasn't mirroring my life word for word :(

#30 June 14 2012

m0ei

http://myriamklink.net/

http://myriamklink.net/bio LOL, this is her old site.

Last edited by m0ei (June 14 2012)

#31 June 14 2012

dp0001

AymanFarhat wrote:

i agree it's a design crime, but a part of me likes simple html...it's fast

Last edited by dp0001 (June 14 2012)

#32 June 20 2012

solo220

Hey did you see mtctouch website new  look :-) , i think its a crime you should investigate it .

#33 February 19 2013

WiCkEd

J4D wrote:

in that job im sure they did not need a graphic designer "tewfeer"

I think it was made with MS Word and Saved as HTML lol

#34 April 22 2013

samer
Admin

Funniest thing I've come across the Lebanese web for a while now. On top of their criminal use of Comic Sans, these guys include "metatags" as one of their skills.
derp.jpg

#35 April 22 2013

Joe

#36 July 14 2013

Ayman

#37 July 14 2013

jsaade

Most of the time it is not even the designer's fault:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

#38 July 14 2013

WiCkEd

jsaade wrote:

Allow me to disagree with you!
The designer should advise the client about the website and the designer is responsible for the quality and the standards of the website guidelines! the web designer is considered a User Interface designer, The website should be designed in a simplicity for visitors, not to satisfy the owner.

#39 July 15 2013

Fischer

i think there are 5 reasons:

1-  i think the problem is with the web developers, they don't use a framework, when you don't use a framework, bad things happen, or sometimes they may think that they are better than the developers of symfony or whatever and they create their own web frameworks, which sucks or have many bugs, they can't fix them, no time, they have to meet the deadline.

2- Besides, the websites that look bad, they don't hire designers, they hire developers only, one developer usually, and they tell him about the idea, a developer is not a designer, but we don't care because we don't have money to pay for 2 guys.

3- because most of the developers are .net developers, that's what we teach at college, you ask them to create a php site, they think they know php but they don't.

4- the developer thinks that he's too smart, he knows everything, he wants to do what he had learnt, old html, rotten css, heavy flash and useless ajax, he knows it all, why bother learning html5, css3 and he doesn't care about jquery plugins, he's too smart, he can code everything from scratch

5- He's too dump, he uses frontpage or such.

So disasters happen, when you don't hire a designer, expecting the developer to have van gogh's vision, or when you hire a dump developer or someone who think he's too smart

#40 July 15 2013

jsaade

WiCkEd wrote:
jsaade wrote:

Allow me to disagree with you!
The designer should advise the client about the website and the designer is responsible for the quality and the standards of the website guidelines! the web designer is considered a User Interface designer, The website should be designed in a simplicity for visitors, not to satisfy the owner.

You should work with more client as they get more creative choosing bigger fonts and rubbish content.
Don't forget that the Designer is responsible for the initial design. Give a client one year with a CMS and they will ruin everything :)

@Fischer, I do not understand point 3. I do not see any difference between a good .Net developer and a good PHP developer.
(which is outside the scope of this conversation).

For clients who do not want to hire a designer, you just point them to template monster, let them choose the design and that will get you good CSS and HTML. From there on build that around your preferred framework or CMS :)
Why am I saying this? It would be hard to convince a client to pay at least 2k for a good web design without development .

#41 July 15 2013

Fischer

3rd point: you hire a .net developer, you ask him to create php site, he think he can handle it, but he doesn't really know php.

as for template monster or other template sites, it's the best option for those who doesn't want to hire a designer, but not all the developers do that, some still believe, in the "do it yourself" philosophy, that's why we are seeing many bad designs.

#42 September 22 2013

samer96

Probably some of the reasons web design in Lebanon sucks is because;

a) People have low income in Lebanon and web design isn't cheap.
b) Few have good skills so customers usually go to the "cheaper" designers

#43 September 22 2013

rolf

Fischer wrote:

i think there are 5 reasons:

I agree with many things you said, but with time I got to the opinion that there are just bad developers, even sometimes seen as EVIL developers! I mean when you see a crappy page and make fun of it it is something, but when someone who would build such a page, takes a job in your place, because he knows how to bullshit his way more than anything else, it is infuriating. It becomes even more infuriating, when you, say, miss your flight because the website you use to plan your journey is buggy, due to said bad developers.

Board footer