LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 August 2 2011

krazy.fugitive

Re: Mac OS X Lion

Anyone has downloaded it from the app store?

#27 August 7 2011

AMDeeb

After using it for 2 weeks, I insist that its so powerful and so productive, especially if you are using the built-in TrackPad or a MagicTrackpad for MultiTouch Gestures.

I managed to solve the Recovery HD partition issue, by downloading a copy from Torrent, since it is almost impossible to leave my MacBook ON for days to download it again from the App Store.

When the download was done, I restored the image on a USB. Then I tested it by installing Snow Leopard as well as making a bootable image of Snow Leopard on external hard disk, then upgraded to Lion on the external hard disk. After noticing that everything is OK, I used the Snow Leopard image to make a clean install on the internal HD by formatting the Hard Disk to 1 Partition. Then I updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.8.1.

Later, I used installed Lion from the USB drive to upgrade the internal Snow Leopard. Everything went GOOD, and it created the Recovery HD partition. After Lion was installed, I used Recovery HD to restore from Time Machine Backup.

Even-thought, I used WinClone to restore the BootCamp partition....

Oh YEAH, I was a LONG way! But I managed to solve the problem

Last edited by AMDeeb (August 7 2011)

#28 August 7 2011

krazy.fugitive

Do we need to download it from the AppStore to be able to get the updates?

#29 August 8 2011

samer
Admin

krazy.fugitive wrote:

Once you have Lion on your machine, you´ll start getting updates regardless of how you installed it.

#30 August 8 2011

Tigerheart.Hackers

For anyone in need of the OS X Lion, PM us. We'll send you one!

#31 August 9 2011

AMDeeb

samer wrote:
krazy.fugitive wrote:

Once you have Lion on your machine, you´ll start getting updates regardless of how you installed it.

We hope that we will get the updates via software update. However, Apple released the last updates of iLife not via Software Update, but via App Store. So If someone didn't purchase Lion from Mac App Store, he might not be able to update it + it will be a nightmare to download another 3.5GB using Lebanese Internet Connection

#32 August 17 2011

Cyril

Had a question, so I thought I'd post it in the this specific topic:
I wanted to downgrade from OS Lion to Snow Leopard, I feel a major loss of speed with the upgrade.
Do you think with the updates things would go better?

Anyway, is downgrading a simple task? Will I loose some of my documents?

#33 August 17 2011

AMDeeb

Cyril wrote:

Had a question, so I thought I'd post it in the this specific topic:
I wanted to downgrade from OS Lion to Snow Leopard, I feel a major loss of speed with the upgrade.
Do you think with the updates things would go better?

Anyway, is downgrading a simple task? Will I loose some of my documents?

I think its too early to judge the first release of Lion (10.7), any initial release might have some stability problems. Today Apple released 10.7.1 upgrade, so I advise update Lion to 10.7.1 and see whether the loss of speed remains.

I found that 10.7.1 fixed the memory consumption issue, especially with Safari. At start up, Lion consumes only 1.4GB RAM, before update, it used to consume about 1.8GB. Also, Safari was going memory hungry! reaches about 850MB, now its about 350MB even in Full-Screen Mode. Most of the time I was running low on memory, reaching 10MB Free from 3GB!

If you want to downgrade to Snow Leopard, you need to make a TimeMachine backup, but you need first to format an external drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
Next, bring the Snow Leopard Disk that came with your Mac, and format the existing Lion partition.
When the installation is finished, use Migration assistant to Migrate from a TimeMachine Backup.

This would keep your files as you left them before formatting Lion, but not 100% sure if Migration Assistant will consider a TimeMachine Backup as Lion or as Snow Leopard to restore it (i.e. restoring Lion to Snow Leopard might keep existing Lion features)
I used TimeMachine a lot, but didn't try downgrading to Snow Leopard and restoring files from Lion.

#34 August 17 2011

Cyril

@ AMDeeb: I finished downloading the update this morning, I noticed a small improvement, but I still feel it is slightly slower than Snow Leopard. I ran also Cleanmymac.

Gonna wait a bit more before deciding to downgrade or to keep it.
As you said, it's still quiet early to judge.

#35 September 17 2011

fyhamady

Hell-O guys,

Not sure if this the right place to post coz this is my first time at this forum.

I got a Macbook Air mid 2011(my first mac also) that shipped with Lion, but I screwed the partitions badly (i am sure i did). I tried the following:
- Network recovery (giving me an error, and wont work)
- Normal recovery (partition already deleted)
- all variations of safe boot and PRAM reset and whatever button combinations on start up
- installing Snow leopad to go from there (panic message every time i boot)

The only way still left is to use a bootable Lion USB disk, but i cant get hold of the installesd.dmg file to create that. Any help ?

thanks in advance

#36 September 17 2011

MrClass

So if you plug in the flash memory that came with your machine and hold the alt button during boot, you can't see the lion installer boot partition?

#37 September 17 2011

MrClass

Another fix, which certainly works. You need another mac machine which has lion installed. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image from that mac hdd, then restore the image to your macbook air hdd. I do have such an image with tons of applications installed. The image is about 55GB. If you're interested in getting a copy, PM me.

#38 September 14 2013

xerxes

Such an old post, but i really need help.

I have a macbook pro which had mountain lion running. I wanted to try to learn how to install the operating system so i booted and pressed options options plus r and i erased the partition. I had a bootable dvd thinking i can initiate setup just like a PC, Unfortunately it doesn't work this way with mac.

How can i get to install mountain lion again to my machine?
I have a bootable dvd (thats what it says) . No bootable flash drive.

Appreciate your help.

#39 September 14 2013

Nabs

@Xerxes, can you open the disc on PC, see if it has multiple files or just a dmg file?

#40 September 14 2013

xerxes

It has only a dmg file

#41 September 14 2013

xerxes

By the way, do i have to have an internet connection to install operating system on mac?

#42 September 14 2013

Nabs

No, you don't need the internet for installation.

If it's just a dmg, it's not bootable. Sorry, mate!

#43 September 14 2013

xerxes

What should i do?

#44 September 14 2013

Nabs

You'll need another disc. The dmg can be used for upgrades only. You cannot boot from it.

#45 September 14 2013

xerxes

If a buy a bootable cd and insert it, will it show in disk utility? Or in the place where i should start the setup?

#46 September 14 2013

Nabs

You don't buy a bootable CD, you make one. A bootbable disc is just a disc with a certain structure that allows booting from.

Here's the thing now. Usually, if you burn an OS dmg from a Mac, it's automatically turned into a bootable disc. But with Mountain Lion, it doesn't seem to work.

You need to download a bootable iso. Happened to try this a couple of days ago.

#47 September 14 2013

xerxes

I am in disk utility now and i can see mac drive and super drive (dvd) and another one lower of those two named mac os x base system.
I choose the macintosh hd as the destination. Should i choose the mac os x base system as source and press restore?

#48 September 14 2013

Nabs

What are you doing now?

#49 September 14 2013

xerxes

I choose the os-x.dmg as source and macintosh hd as destination and iam restoring.

#50 September 14 2013

xerxes

Restore failed after 16 minutes
Error 206

Board footer