LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 22 2011

eliefares

Mac OS X Lion

Anyone else started using it?

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now (downloaded the GM) and this is an overview if anyone's interested:
http://stateofmind13.wordpress.com/2011 … -overview/

#2 July 22 2011

samer
Admin

Re: Mac OS X Lion

I'm waiting for .1 (it's a psychological thing) and for full textmate support (can't live without textmate). Read John Siracusa's awesome review here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/20 … x-10-7.ars

#3 July 22 2011

ranibalaa

I've been trying to download it since it came out. Would appreciate it if someone could give me a copy. My download is at 10% and i've downloading for 2 days now.

#4 July 22 2011

m.sabra

@ranibalaa according to your info you need 18 more days to finish the download  20 days in total, screw the internet in this country.

#5 July 22 2011

TheStunMan

m.sabra wrote:

@ranibalaa according to your info you need 18 more days to finish the download  20 days in total, screw the internet in this country.

:(

kcac6.jpg

Last edited by TheStunMan (July 22 2011)

#6 July 22 2011

ranibalaa

TheStunMan i think you're downloading the GM, since lion wasn't released by the 17th of July. And i just checked my torrent as well it reached 23%  But it's odd, the 1st beta took me around 2 days to download but this would is incredibly slow.

#7 July 23 2011

RyanM

Currently in the states, downloaded Lion off the mac app store. It's wonderful, the scrolling does take some time to getting used to but other than that its great.

#8 July 23 2011

TheStunMan

ranibalaa wrote:

TheStunMan i think you're downloading the GM, since lion wasn't released by the 17th of July. And i just checked my torrent as well it reached 23%  But it's odd, the 1st beta took me around 2 days to download but this would is incredibly slow.

The answer

#9 July 23 2011

eliefares

I downloaded the GM a couple of weeks ago and it went quite smoothly. Was done in a day.

As for the scrolling, just remove "natural scrolling." There's nothing natural about scrolling up to go down and vice versa. This is not a touch screen.

#10 July 23 2011

krazy.fugitive

Hello fellas,
Anyone of you downloaded Lion from the app store ? How is it like, worth the update ?
Anyone knows where I can download it, without having to ruin my monthly 5 Gbs ?
thanks in advance

#11 July 23 2011

ranibalaa

krazy.fugitive the only way we (well I, not sure about the others) is to way until after 11 P.M and download till 7 A.M where we have unlimited quota.

#12 July 23 2011

MrClass

Poor people

I have downloaded 6 versions of Mac OSX Lion so far. I will begin trying them on Monday at work to see which ones are GMs and which ones are from the Appstore. By the way, I think you need to register Mac Lion with the Apple ID that purchased Lion online.

And what the hell is going on with Apple? Mac Lion Server now is a package that should be installed over Mac Lion??? What the hell??

#13 July 25 2011

ranibalaa

I just finished downloading and installing it. Runs smooth till now on my MBP 13' C2D. If you have installed it please post your results and opinion

#14 July 25 2011

krazy.fugitive

ranibalaa, i'm on a basic 512kbps w/ 4Gb down a month, I don't get double speed or unlimited at night, any other way for me to get it ? you think i can ask for authorized apple retail stores to do it for me? i mean like it's done in the USA ?

#15 July 25 2011

ranibalaa

If you live next to clemenceau, i'll be happy to give it to you. Or just wait until the USB comes out that apple is going to sell.

#16 July 25 2011

eliefares

You don't need to register the GM or anything. I can get updates fine. It's as if you bought it from the AppStore.

#17 July 25 2011

AMDeeb

I was in UK when Lion was released. I was curious about talking with guys in Apple Store.

I told them I wanted to upgrade to Lion, but in my country Lebanon, the connection is extremely slow!

The guy told me: Actually you can upgrade it from here! ;) Bring your Mac to the store and we will hook it up to our severs and it would be DONE!

After 1 hour, I brought my Mac to the Store, and it took us 11 min to download 3.49GBs !

Its all GREAT! Except the fact that I can't find Lion Recovery Partition :(

#18 July 25 2011

geek

the recovery partition is automatically created by the installer on EFI systems; you can check if it exists using

diskutil list

you can also mount it using

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s#

where # is the corresponding partition number.

#19 July 25 2011

AMDeeb

I have tried everything in this page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

OPTION Key on start up is not showing anything other than Macintosh HD and Windows(BootCamp)

CMD+R is not doing anything as well. Lion starts normally to log-in screen and it keeps typing "r" in password area.

Due to our internet connection, It would be IMPOSSIBLE to re-install Lion again from App Store! Is there a way i can locate the installation files/image from Finder?

#20 July 26 2011

samer
Admin

Due to our internet connection, It would be IMPOSSIBLE to re-install Lion again from App Store! Is there a way i can locate the installation files/image from Finder?

This should be helpful: How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

#21 July 26 2011

AMDeeb

samer wrote:

This should be helpful: How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

Thank you for the link!
Unfortunately, I already upgraded to Lion, so I can't bring back the installation DMG :( Do you know if I can use Snow Leopard DVD to restore/recover Lion if I am using Time Machine?

#22 July 26 2011

AMDeeb

Just downloaded SuperDuper! to make a copy of Macintosh HD (Lion Partition). Incase something went wrong with my Mac, I will create a Snow Leopard Installation, and install SuperDuper!, then restore back the partition...
Lion is driving me CRAZY! :S

#23 July 26 2011

MrClass

Lion driving you crazy? I just installed it today in addition to several applications. It's working pretty good so far.

#24 July 26 2011

AMDeeb

MrClass wrote:

Lion driving you crazy? I just installed it today in addition to several applications. It's working pretty good so far.

I know everything is working good, EXCEPT Recovery Partition is missing...I can't feel safe when I don't have a suitable solution incase of emergency :/

#25 July 28 2011

yb97

It took 46 hours for me to download Lion from the App store.
I affirm it is the best os ever and really worth the price and the wait for download

Board footer