LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 July 15 2011

xterm

Re: Codename Nux - Specs, Pictures and more.

Beej wrote:

xterm listen to me and listen good, i dont know if you already know this or done this already, but...
This set of rams is designed for x58 boards, and if noone believes me any ram manufacturer will not sell ODD number of ram to a chipset that sports dual channel. This is why its 12g so its 3x4g of sticks...

Anyway my main point is this, these ram run at 1.65v (dram voltage). Sandybridge CANNOT tolerate these volts, tolerate =/= handle oh it can handle them quit well. But you should drop the volts to 1.6 to 1.5v even.
You will loose speed or latency, but you will not damage/degrade your IMC (integrated memory controler) in your cpu.

Noted, I'll take it into consideration. Thanks Beej.

#77 July 15 2011

Beej

xterm there is a solid fact about this p7, it is one of the highly oc-able boards. Surley others oc better but this board competes. It fails in MEM ocs, but rest assure your having a good oc-able board, sli/xfire support, the pci-e LAnes split into 8x/8x giving you the best and you will not be loosing performance compared to 16/4 or 8x/4x...
What more do you possibly want???

#78 July 15 2011

shant

Beej wrote:

xterm listen to me and listen good, i dont know if you already know this or done this already, but...
This set of rams is designed for x58 boards, and if noone believes me any ram manufacturer will not sell ODD number of ram to a chipset that sports dual channel. This is why its 12g so its 3x4g of sticks...

Anyway my main point is this, these ram run at 1.65v (dram voltage). Sandybridge CANNOT tolerate these volts, tolerate =/= handle oh it can handle them quit well. But you should drop the volts to 1.6 to 1.5v even.
You will loose speed or latency, but you will not damage/degrade your IMC (integrated memory controler) in your cpu.

To add to what yasamoka said, people stop being narrow minded!!! AMD/ati doesnot suck anymoe they have the price/performance crown hands down. Te cheapest quad core is the athelon x4 and its better than most quad cores from intel q8xxx series and q9xxx series ,with a few exceptions.

Also deivers are really getting better, AMD cards scale better than nvidia cards. Also to let you grasp this fact a bit is this, apple macbook will all feature ati cards, both ps4 and xbox 720 will feature amd cards, NOT nvidia!.

Also AMD's upcoming buldozer will narrow the gap even more so the price/performance ratio will be better.
If i come across an AMD platform ill benchmark them for you guys and we will all see what is true. The days of amd/ati suck are over since the 4xxx series and the 1st generation of PHENOME (deneb) cpus.

yes, but in some application intel runs better, and most games are being optimized to nvidia more, but yeah i agree amd has the price=performance thing, one more thing, amd recently reduced image quality in its drivers to gain 10% speed boost,i can't remember exactly which quality they reduced, but they did it, you can find an article of you google it and see the comparison between nvidia and amd...though, its not noticeable that much

Last edited by shant (July 15 2011)

#79 July 15 2011

AvoK95

xterm wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

how much did it cost ???

~2700$

i just swallowed my spit

#80 July 15 2011

shant

AvoK95 wrote:
xterm wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

how much did it cost ???

~2700$

i just swallowed my spit

would have cost 1500 if he were in america ;)

#81 July 15 2011

AvoK95

shant wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:
xterm wrote:

~2700$

i just swallowed my spit

for 2700$ in america you could but 2 of this

Last edited by AvoK95 (July 15 2011)

#82 July 15 2011

shant

hey, just in case, you might want to check this for your ssd, if its the 320 series...
http://legitreviews.com/news/11099/

#83 July 15 2011

Beej

Shant, about the image quality. It existed ONLY in the 6850/6870. And this issue has been fixed, nvidia had its fair share of cheating especially optimizing fermi to run benchmarks better. In any case it was done by both companies. I do agree on the "the way its meant to be played" as nvidia pushes developers to utilize its gpu and features (3d, surround..etc) more than AMD.
But truthfully would you pay, lets say we live in USA, 150$s more to get a 580 only to find out your 3-5fps more than a 6970?

Last edited by Beej (July 16 2011)

#84 July 15 2011

yasamoka

Beej wrote:

To add to what yasamoka said, people stop being narrow minded!!! AMD/ati doesnot suck anymoe they have the price/performance crown hands down. Te cheapest quad core is the athelon x4 and its better than most quad cores from intel q8xxx series and q9xxx series ,with a few exceptions.

Also deivers are really getting better, AMD cards scale better than nvidia cards. Also to let you grasp this fact a bit is this, apple macbook will all feature ati cards, both ps4 and xbox 720 will feature amd cards, NOT nvidia!.

Also AMD's upcoming buldozer will narrow the gap even more so the price/performance ratio will be better.
If i come across an AMD platform ill benchmark them for you guys and we will all see what is true. The days of amd/ati suck are over since the 4xxx series and the 1st generation of PHENOME (deneb) cpus.

Nailed it...a really smart move by AMD acquiring ATI. Now it has the whole platform covered? Did anyone check Llano APU out? Cheap, powerful, HTPCs are now a reality.

#85 July 15 2011

yasamoka

AvoK95 wrote:
shant wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

i just swallowed my spit

for 2700$ in america you could but 2 of this

The prices he paid WERE high, but not THAT high.

#86 July 19 2011

shant

Beej wrote:

Shant, about the image quality. It existed ONLY in the 6850/6870. And this issue has been fixed, nvidia had its fair share of cheating especially optimizing fermi to run benchmarks better. In any case it was done by both companies. I do agree on the "the way its meant to be played" as nvidia pushes developers to utilize its gpu and features (3d, surround..etc) more than AMD.
But truthfully would you pay, lets say we live in USA, 150$s more to get a 580 only to find out your 3-5fps more than a 6970?

hell no! not worth, but if amd drivers are still buggy and act dumb, i probably will since i get phisx and 3D too along with good drivers

#87 July 19 2011

Georges

So, did you regret paying 2700 $ for this machine ?
Or not yet...

#88 July 20 2011

Badieh

Georges wrote:

Or not yet...

Once you run a game on Ultra settings using this PC, you will forget the money spent, im sure of it ;)

#89 July 20 2011

xterm

Georges wrote:

Or not yet...

Not the least. I have regrets but they're more like, I regret not getting additional two monitors. :-)

#90 July 20 2011

Georges

Badieh wrote:
Georges wrote:

Or not yet...

Once you run a game on Ultra settings using this PC, you will forget the money spent, im sure of it ;)

I can run games on ultra settings (COD6 and COD7 at full settings and Full HD) on my $1500 laptop (and it's portable). I don't see the difference.

#91 July 20 2011

xterm

Georges wrote:

I can run games on ultra settings (COD6 and COD7 at full settings and Full HD) on my $1500 laptop (and it's portable). I don't see the difference.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is with me getting a superior machine. If it's about gaming, the experience you're getting at full settings and full hd and whatnot is not remotely similar the experience I get, you probably run at 20-30 fps, I would be running at 80-100fps. My system would handle newer and more demanding games better than your system does. The transfer rate on my hard disk is over 5 times faster than on yours, everything from rendering to encoding to compiling to running to virtualization is greater than yours.

My system is not remotely a super pc, it's anything but. However, it does a tremendous job at everything and i haven't even began to OC any part of it. I needed a system for everything, literally everything, i didn't want to hinder any task i wanted, planned or even not think about doing, by not having a great system to do it on.

Yes it's pricey, but I was willing to pay that price. Had I not have a bit of decency, I'd have paid double as well, but I did set a price limit to stick to (if you recall the other topic). Mobility is not an issue, the intent of this system is to stay at home, for mobility i have an 18.4" HD, 6GB DDR3, i7-920QM, 230M(?) laptop that does what i want it to do. This machine is an all purpose machine that I could play around with (OC, Upgrade, mod...).

#92 July 20 2011

MrClass

Amen to that. One's desktop computer is like his headquarter. And as xterm said, every person needs a computer that can do whatever that person wants. Whether it's gaming, virtualization, testing, storage, or media encoding; a decent desktop can handle all. Most importantly, you trust what you build. I have more faith in my machine  than any other pre-built computer.

#93 December 20 2016

xterm

Note: You can skip the entire 4 pages and just read the original post and this reply.

5.5 years later, the system is still going strong, I still take care of it every trimester (cleanup), however I've (not-so) recently been required to reduce graphics quality of games to about 50% of the available options (Overwatch, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Dota 2).

Would going for top of the line Nvidia last me another 5 years?

#94 December 20 2016

Georges00

xterm wrote:

Note: You can skip the entire 4 pages and just read the original post and this reply.

5.5 years later, the system is still going strong, I still take care of it every trimester (cleanup), however I've (not-so) recently been required to reduce graphics quality of games to about 50% of the available options (Overwatch, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Dota 2).

Would going for top of the line Nvidia last me another 5 years?

Top of the line is a 1080, you're looking at spending a minimum of 3000$.
It should last 5 years, my 780 is still going strong on 1080p.
Nvidia dopped the M part of gpus which is better.

#95 December 20 2016

xterm

Georges00 wrote:

I'm looking to buy from the options available from PC and Parts which, for the 1080, spans between 600 to 800USD.

The card that lasted this long (and for what its worth is still doing a marvellous job at the none-heavy graphics games i listed) was equivalent to 580 back in the day.

#96 December 20 2016

Georges00

xterm wrote:
Georges00 wrote:

I'm looking to buy from the options available from PC and Parts which, for the 1080, spans between 600 to 800USD.

The card that lasted this long (and for what its worth is still doing a marvellous job at the none-heavy graphics games i listed) was equivalent to 580 back in the day.

Arent you talking about upgrading your laptop?

#97 December 20 2016

xterm

Georges00 wrote:

Arent you talking about upgrading your laptop?

No! Desktop

#98 December 20 2016

haidcar

the games that you're playing are by no means graphic intensive. and over the next 5 years your CPU will bound your system further and further. either one of the following.
get 300$ GPU to extend the life of your system by another 2-3 years, or build a new system.
for the less than the price of the 1080 you can build a system that achieves 60fps in the mentioned games.

Board footer