LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 May 20 2011

ali.koubeissi

Re: Codename Nux - Specs, Pictures and more.

You'll end up using 1% of its power in the daily normal use.
When you turn into a hardcore gamer (at night i assume  - I shall call you *Gampire*), you'll be using 10, perhaps 20%.

The other 80% can be rent to neighbors.

I'm sorry but there is no basis for those numbers. When he's gaming, he's using 90-100% of his graphic card capabilities. When he's using virtualization, he's using as much as half of the available memory (assuming that he'll be using more then 1 virtual machine). The idea is that when he needs the power, it's there, unlike a lower end machine where it will struggle when the power is needed.

#52 May 20 2011

scatman

Its a "good" PC.
you have to see mine, well i can't say mine! its the university's "property" but is bought for my research:) (i'll post a pic soon)
its similar to yours but i add:
3 Nvidia 480GTX Cards. yeah... THREE:D (i actually had 4, but my current PSU can't "power" them all)
2 Gigabyte 800W PSU
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III FORMULA

and no... i don't play games on it!!:(

#53 May 20 2011

exhaler

Mabrouk , looks like my grandmothers fridge...does it handle playing mario on it with ultra high graphics settings?!

Last edited by exhaler (May 20 2011)

#54 May 20 2011

Georges

exhaler wrote:

Mabrouk , looks like my grandmothers fridge...does it handle playing mario on it with ultra high graphics settings?!

I was thinking about Prince Megahit ! Rendering this game would be a tough task on this cute little machine.
This reminds me of the good old days, in which, even prince megahit used to lag on the newest machines.

#55 May 20 2011

exhaler

we should wait until he gets the GTX 580 , mario and price megahit probably would need SLI configuration

#56 May 20 2011

rolf

exhaler wrote:

Mabrouk , looks like my grandmothers fridge...

Your grandmother is very cool

#57 May 20 2011

yasamoka

What Georges said is exactly the reason why I run folding 24/7 on my machine...I need it to be powered on since every now and then somebody would use it / I would use it. In the summer, I game on average 3 hours. So even in the summer i'm not using it fully. Folding eliminates that problem, lets me run it 24/7 knowing that I'm not wasting idle power, and helps out with scientific research. It's fun to overclock your system and keep it perfectly stable too. 3 birds with one stone if you ask me

#58 May 20 2011

Shatilov

nice job man !!!!! +1, amazing. Congrats.

#59 May 20 2011

kareem_nasser

xterm wrote:
ALI-MSTR7 wrote:

xterm : is the hard disk rating 7.7 ??

I think so Ali, I'll rerun it tonight. I'm a little bit skeptical that the SSD is performing properly.

-

Couple of questions for everyone:

1- Difference between HDMI and DVI
2- I might get two additional monitors, should i go for 6970 or GTX570 SLi ?

Concerning the second question.
For multi-view GPUs i think AMD's Eyefinity is proprietary for that purpose. But there isn't much to it, because it depends on the CUDA or Streaming Processors that can processes this huge amount of pixels for 2 displays, along with the fill-rate.
I think you should specify the purpose of multi-view display, gaming or some hardcore software usage.

As a user i think Nvidia is more to stereoscopic 3D support while AMD is for Multi-view display.

#60 May 22 2011

mezin

Georges wrote:

Oh. Why do you need such a beast ?

he's gonna be running windows

mabrouk btw awesome rig

Last edited by unforgiven (May 22 2011)

#61 May 26 2011

xterm

Here we go:

o9laiq.png

#62 May 26 2011

MrClass

God darn! Nice score :)

Run some CPU/Graphic extensive applications and let us know how well did they go

#63 June 6 2011

xterm

So I wasn't able to do any tests. It seemed like the GTX580 was far fetched and would never get stocked again so i bought the 6790 HD. It's the biggest mistake I've ever done, not only did it take me quite a bit of time to get things running smoothly, but it ended up flickering everywhere (even on windows). I'm returning the card for being defective.

P.S.: Everything was updated.

#64 June 6 2011

MrClass

Another reason why NOT to get AMD cards. I have no problem regarding hardware specs, but drivers.....Boy oh boy

#65 June 9 2011

xterm

PC and Parts is replacing my card for being defective.

Let's hope i don't witness the same problem again.

#66 June 9 2011

ali.koubeissi

heresy! AMD > *.

#67 June 9 2011

MrClass

Xterm, what video cable are you using? HDMI? DVI? If you're using HDMI, is the cable good quality?

#68 June 9 2011

xterm

I was using HDMI but then I switched to DVI.

Either way, I got the card today and it doesn't seem to be flickering so far, let's hope it stays that way.

#69 June 10 2011

yasamoka

You guys...if an ATI card is defective, that doesn't mean at all that ATI is a bad company...what about the failing 8800GTs, or the whining cards like some 200 series, the 400 series with its 90+ temps, etc...ati similarly had its own issues...heat issues (even at idle) with the 4xxx series, furmark killing some cards...but the 5xxx and 6xxx were very stable and a huge success for ati after it had filled most of the gaps in the graphics markets with astonishing prices and competed with each and every nvidia card except the gtx 580 (it came pretty close though). And don't forget the price difference between the 6970 and the 580. Crossfire is catching up to sli, eyefinity kills triple monitor with nvidia, the 6990 wiped the floor with the 590. Ati managed to steal a good share of the market from nvidia with its last 2 series. Drivers are becoming much more robust and stable, ati is releasing drivers once or twice per month, nvidia? Pfft, every 3 months maybe?? Then again it took nvidia 2-3 YEARS to realize that it had problems with HDTV overscanning and has just recently fixed the issue with its quarter yearly driver updates...

Last edited by yasamoka (June 14 2011)

#70 June 14 2011

m.sabra

that's what i call an awesome piece of technology

#71 July 15 2011

shant

congrats :)
just one question, why get an 2600k with an intel board?

#72 July 15 2011

AvoK95

how much did it cost ???

#73 July 15 2011

Beej

xterm listen to me and listen good, i dont know if you already know this or done this already, but...
This set of rams is designed for x58 boards, and if noone believes me any ram manufacturer will not sell ODD number of ram to a chipset that sports dual channel. This is why its 12g so its 3x4g of sticks...

Anyway my main point is this, these ram run at 1.65v (dram voltage). Sandybridge CANNOT tolerate these volts, tolerate =/= handle oh it can handle them quit well. But you should drop the volts to 1.6 to 1.5v even.
You will loose speed or latency, but you will not damage/degrade your IMC (integrated memory controler) in your cpu.

To add to what yasamoka said, people stop being narrow minded!!! AMD/ati doesnot suck anymoe they have the price/performance crown hands down. Te cheapest quad core is the athelon x4 and its better than most quad cores from intel q8xxx series and q9xxx series ,with a few exceptions.

Also deivers are really getting better, AMD cards scale better than nvidia cards. Also to let you grasp this fact a bit is this, apple macbook will all feature ati cards, both ps4 and xbox 720 will feature amd cards, NOT nvidia!.

Also AMD's upcoming buldozer will narrow the gap even more so the price/performance ratio will be better.
If i come across an AMD platform ill benchmark them for you guys and we will all see what is true. The days of amd/ati suck are over since the 4xxx series and the 1st generation of PHENOME (deneb) cpus.

Last edited by Beej (July 15 2011)

#74 July 15 2011

xterm

shant wrote:

congrats :)
just one question, why get an 2600k with an intel board?

Lack of a better board alternative.

#75 July 15 2011

xterm

AvoK95 wrote:

how much did it cost ???

~2700$

Board footer