LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 19 2011

ALI-MSTR7

Re: Codename Nux - Specs, Pictures and more.

wonderfull man , great parts , great PC ;)

i hate to put my PC UNDER THE TABLE , i usually put it above to see all whats happening inside specially if it has an opening , and to make it visible for all

but really i am happy for u

i ordered from 2 months my system from pcandparts , and i know what is your fellings about it 

Congratulations!

#27 May 19 2011

ALI-MSTR7

Kassem wrote:
xterm wrote:

Hmmm, I didn't quite log it yet, I'll do it tonight. I still need to make sure that the SSD is performing correctly but so far I would say it would take around 15 to boot windows 7 ultimate 64bit from power on to desktop.

I just remembered: the windows experience rating was 7.7 on everything but the graphics which was 6.6 (understandable considering the 430 :()

I was happy with my 5.9 windows experience rating until I read that.

5.9 is becuase of the normal hard disk

------

xterm : is the hard disk rating 7.7 ??

#28 May 19 2011

xterm

ALI-MSTR7 wrote:

I think so Ali, I'll rerun it tonight. I'm a little bit skeptical that the SSD is performing properly.

-

Couple of questions for everyone:

1- Difference between HDMI and DVI
2- I might get two additional monitors, should i go for 6970 or GTX570 SLi ?

#29 May 19 2011

xterm

Alright i got my answer for the first question:

First, to clear away one element that can be confusing: DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box.

#30 May 19 2011

Kassem

xterm wrote:

I might get two additional monitors

Why would you need more than one monitor? I know many people who have more than one, but I cannot think of a scenario where they could be needed. So in your case, how can you make use of the extra monitors? Could you run a program in one monitor, and another in the other monitor for example? How does it work?

#31 May 19 2011

xterm

Kassem wrote:

Why would you need more than one monitor? I know many people who have more than one, but I cannot think of a scenario where they could be needed. So in your case, how can you make use of the extra monitors? Could you run a program in one monitor, and another in the other monitor for example? How does it work?

Practically endless usage. In terms of applications, you could have an oversized desktop moving windows on any monitor you want (even visual studio 2010 added the option of dragging a tab out of VS to place it in another monitor but still remain in the same VS instance). Ordinarily for applications, two are enough but when it comes to gaming you will need the third to get a nice HUD view.

Imagine yourself playing a flight sim. If you have one monitor you get to play normally, viewing everything in front of you, but if you have three monitors, you get a full ~180 view.

I'll find you some samples

Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XgzJQ15Fo

VS 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOnvX2K-JA

Last edited by xterm (May 19 2011)

#32 May 19 2011

omar_killer

congrats man!

good luck with your beast! :)

#33 May 19 2011

Kassem

xterm wrote:
Kassem wrote:

Practically endless usage. In terms of applications, you could have an oversized desktop moving windows on any monitor you want (even visual studio 2010 added the option of dragging a tab out of VS to place it in another monitor but still remain in the same VS instance). Ordinarily for applications, two are enough but when it comes to gaming you will need the third to get a nice HUD view.

Imagine yourself playing a flight sim. If you have one monitor you get to play normally, viewing everything in front of you, but if you have three monitors, you get a full ~180 view.

I'll find you some samples

Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XgzJQ15Fo

VS 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOnvX2K-JA

I want that...!!!

#34 May 19 2011

yasamoka

Hey xterm that gt 430 is not going to waste at all. You can simply use it as a physx card. Just be sure to set the pci express slots to x16 x1 so that you don't limit the GTX 580. I have a gtx 260 w/9600gt. In batman arkham asylum, running physx high on the 260, my min framerate was 25. On the 9600gt, the minimum was 39! Phsyx is awesome, but only in some games (mirror's edge, mafia II, batman).

Are you planning to fold on that thing? http://folding.stanford.edu

Last edited by yasamoka (May 19 2011)

#35 May 19 2011

rolf

Wow. Make sure you fine tune it so that you cannot hear it run when it's on :) With all it's fans it shouldn't be hard. I'm a bit obsessive and extremist when it comes to noise.

Tell your wife the speakers will follow :)

#36 May 19 2011

MrClass

Nice rig xterm. Hope you enjoyed the installation process. You are right regarding the SSD. You will have to turn off some features in Windows vista/7 (such as defragmentation) to get the best performance/durability/reliability out of your SSD.

Check out this link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-320-ssd-review/4

Guru3d were reviewing the Intel 320 SSD, and advised SSD users to follow the steps to enhance performance.

#37 May 19 2011

yasamoka

rolf wrote:

Wow. Make sure you fine tune it so that you cannot hear it run when it's on :) With all it's fans it shouldn't be hard. I'm a bit obsessive and extremist when it comes to noise.

Rolf's right...these case fans can be run at 70 percent and they'll be barely heard. Heck, even at 100 percent they can be barely heard. I have smaller case fans than these (200mm, 160mm, etc...) And at 100 they're almost inaudible (I'm picky too). However, you can run the 120mm fans at 50 - 60 percent (1000-1200 RPM) and they'll be inaudible but still cool the CPU properly. The loudest fan in your case will probably be the GTX 580's, however. But with 2-3 large fans blowing over it, I doubt It will need to ramp up much. My GTX 260's fan is left at 65 percent due to folding 24/7 and I get 60s degrees (max 70). It's whiny, though.

#38 May 19 2011

xterm

yasamoka wrote:

Hey xterm that gt 430 is not going to waste at all. You can simply use it as a physx card. Just be sure to set the pci express slots to x16 x1 so that you don't limit the GTX 580. I have a gtx 260 w/9600gt. In batman arkham asylum, running physx high on the 260, my min framerate was 25. On the 9600gt, the minimum was 39! Phsyx is awesome, but only in some games (mirror's edge, mafia II, batman).

PC and Parts gave me the 430gt as a temporary card, they're taking it back once i get the GTX580

Are you planning to fold on that thing? http://folding.stanford.edu

I'll check that >.<

#39 May 19 2011

xterm

rolf wrote:

Man, it is sooooooooooooooooooooo silent, It's almost as if it's not even on.

She already made me stop today and get speakers. Ofcourse I didn't get to say anything, she picked them. (atleast she picked the altec lansing ones >.>)

#40 May 19 2011

xterm

Ok what the hell. The UPS makes RIDICULOUS noise! It's not acceptable, what should i do?

#41 May 19 2011

Flakk

Congrats on the new build Xterm.

When that 580 arrives, give it the Crysis treatment

xterm wrote:

Ok what the hell. The UPS makes RIDICULOUS noise! It's not acceptable, what should i do?

They tend to do that while charging the battery. Can you somehow describe the noise?
Or maybe 1100va is not enough for the 800watt psu, from the APC website
Output Power Capacity
660 Watts / 1100 VA

I have a pce 1200va UPS (dual battery) to support my 700watt psu.

Last edited by Flakk (May 19 2011)

#42 May 19 2011

xterm

ALI-MSTR7 wrote:

Here we go. All stock, nothing OCed. With GT430

9a4ex2.png

#43 May 19 2011

Samer99

xterm wrote:

I did however notice that the bios displayed the cpu speed as 3.8Ghz and not 3.4Ghz

It seems that the BIOS is displaying the maximum turbo frequency of your processor which is 3.8 Ghz (see Intel Turbo Boost).

Last edited by Samer99 (May 19 2011)

#44 May 19 2011

MegaCool

*Geekgasm*

Congrats man. It's Crysis time, oh well, at least until your GTX 580 arrives!

#45 May 19 2011

Georges

Oh. Why do you need such a beast ?
Please convince me with a good answer.

#46 May 20 2011

xterm

Georges wrote:

There's nothing to convince Georges. I needed a desktop for everything including gaming and I don't settle for "normal".

#47 May 20 2011

MSD

@xterm: Are you gonna OC it? I am interested in that part ;) Also, I am interested in knowing which is better, liquid cooling or normal air cooling when it comes to OCing.

#48 May 20 2011

xterm

MSD wrote:

@xterm: Are you gonna OC it? I am interested in that part ;) Also, I am interested in knowing which is better, liquid cooling or normal air cooling when it comes to OCing.

Yes definitly, just not yet.

#49 May 20 2011

Georges

xterm wrote:
Georges wrote:

There's nothing to convince Georges. I needed a desktop for everything including gaming and I don't settle for "normal".

You'll end up using 1% of its power in the daily normal use.
When you turn into a hardcore gamer (at night i assume  - I shall call you *Gampire*), you'll be using 10, perhaps 20%.

The other 80% can be rent to neighbors.

#50 May 20 2011

rolf

Georges wrote:
xterm wrote:
Georges wrote:

You'll end up using 1% of its power in the daily normal use.
When you turn into a hardcore gamer (at night i assume  - I shall call you *Gampire*), you'll be using 10, perhaps 20%.

The other 80% can be rent to neighbors.

Nux will probably be awesome for CAD and 3D. CAD is really fun (for me at least) but you need to set time and patience aside to familiarize yourself the software (3D max, Maya, AutoCad, Adobe Fireworks (I think) etc...). Same thing for video production.
It is really important to have such a machine for these tasks. With outdated hardware it can take like 1/4 hour just to render a single image!

Last edited by rolf (May 20 2011)

Board footer