LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 21 2010

vengeance666

Ethernet cable vs WiFi

hey everyone,well i finally decided getting a toshiba laptop next week,this old man here is getting rusty  so the thing im concerned about is that im planning to install wow on the new laptop to login sometimes if i need to,but since im gonna use a router and the laptop wont be connected to any internet cables inside the house,will it cause an increase in latency in wow since the laptop isnt connected directly to a cable ?

#2 September 21 2010

xterm

Re: Ethernet cable vs WiFi

I've had some major latency problems with wifi while gaming. Then again, to this day, i'm still on wireless and not really caring.

#3 September 21 2010

J4D

The increase should be negligible. To help decrease the latency i recommend you do some DMZ on your network address from the router settings. This way it will be as if connected directly to the internet line. Without passing through the router's firewall .

Search on how to DMZ in your router's manual ;)

#4 September 22 2010

Aly

I was once playing Generals on a laptop via WIFI LAN and it was lagging among all of the other desktops idk why when I connected it via cable to the switch the lag is gone, and on the same laptop I was playing cod4 via wifi lan and it had no lag at all so it depends.
PS: it is a powerful Qosmio Core 2 duo laptop.

Last edited by Aly (September 22 2010)

#5 September 22 2010

Raficoo

For playing I'd suggest Cable to keep the amount of Latency to a minimum... What I hate about playing any Internet Game on WiFi is that even though the Latency might be acceptable... there might be some weak "connectivity" moments that would cause tremendous Lag, and that moment it happens, you might get kicked out for High ping :/

Now for LAN playing, It wouldn't be such a big deal... considering the PCs/Laptops are near each other... but then again I have found out that with Cable there will be less lag(similar situation to what Aly posted)

#6 September 22 2010

rolf

Cable is always more reliable and performant, but if you cant afford to have cables laying around, then try to set up a wifi router really close to you and if you also take care to choose a good router and fine tune it it should be OK.

Last edited by rolf (September 22 2010)

#7 October 5 2010

KiSsEr
Banned

Wifi is not made to do the games part and sharing files duty  cause the  signal of the Router it self goes crazy sometimes "RX / TX " causing to losing packets and that means a lost of data so to lag ...
or the amount of data going to the router and getting per user is more then the power the router it self and the laptop too and causing to lag and specially while playing games that have too much huge transfer like Generals Call of duty and many many other games SO WHAT IS WIFI USED?
Thats a good question to be asked.
ITS ONly used FOR INTERNET USES NO MORE NO LESS!

#8 October 5 2010

MrClass

Yes, Wifi power is not enough for gaming. I do find alot of lag when playing warcraft III on wireless lan. Switching to ethernet solves the problem. Even Netgear believes that ethernet is not powerful enough for gaming, so they developed their own ultra fast network card (with ethernet port) to help reduce lag. I know its a useless card, but it sounds reasonable. I wonder if Wireless N can beat ethernet base-100; but when it comes to gigbit ethernet, there is no equal :)

Board footer