LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 27 2010

mmk92

cheap tablet pc's

I'm looking for a cheap tablet pc for home use(internet browsing, some music, maybe small mini games) 7" or preferabaly greater, my budget is ~$250, maybe running android os or windows 7(prefer android ofc), anyone knw product around lebanon that i could get locally? i want to knw the prices and where to get them, i even looked up these forums if i cld ship one from the US through amazon or ebay(thanks for the answers btw) and found out that the process will be severely tiring + ill have to pay way more money

so..anyone?

#2 August 28 2010

Bassem

Re: cheap tablet pc's

By tablet PC I assume you mean this:

toshiba%20portege%20m400.jpg

If you want to browse, listen to music and play simple games, why a tablet PC?
Those are usually targeted at business users or students, since you can use the swivel screen to take notes with the digitizer.
You're probably better off using a netbook in your case.

I have the laptop pictured above, the Toshiba Portégé M200. I'm looking to sell it. It needs a new keyboard (the Shift key randomly presses itself), otherwise it's running perfectly.

_______

Or do you mean something like this Archos tablet?

archos-7-inch-tablet.jpg

Last edited by Bassem (August 28 2010)

#3 August 28 2010

mmk92

I want something like the archos but with a bigger screen, for how much are you selling the m200?

Edit: between 7 to 10 inches

Last edited by mmk92 (August 28 2010)

#4 August 28 2010

Bassem

This Archos one I linked is actually 7 inches; it's called the Archos 7 Home Tablet. I think it's released by now, or will be soon. It's going for 200$.
But the screen is resistive (which also means no multitouch) and it runs Android 1.5 or 1.6 and has no access to the App market, so you can only use it for the Internet and the preinstalled apps.
If that's fine with you, look for it. (Maybe it can be found in Lebanon)

Looks like you'll have to wait a few months. There is a laaaarge number of tablets about to come out on to the market, following the iPad's success. Many of them will have Android or Windows 7. Most are sized at around 5 inches, but a few are 7 or 10 inches.

One example is the Streak models by Dell, sized at 7 and 10 inches and running Android 2.1 with some real good specs.

However, don't expect any of all these tablets to cost below 300$.

#5 August 28 2010

mmk92

The archos 9 looks amazing i gd specs too, and android can be installed on iy

#6 August 31 2010

lorcan32

Why don't you build your own. www.webcam-whiteboard.com/. I have tried it and it is as good as any tablet and cost about 20$.

#7 August 31 2010

Bassem

lorcan32 that's a great link, I tried doing that a while ago (from another website) but had trouble positioning my webcam.

However I think you misunderstood mk92's query... ;)

#8 September 9 2010

lorcan32

Well you could buy a normal net book and put a clip on touch screen that works as well as any of those solutions it costs about 85$. My friend tried it and it is works the same as any commercially available tablets. I will post a link soon to the website where you can order.

#9 September 10 2010

mmk92

lorcan32 wrote:

Well you could buy a normal net book and put a clip on touch screen that works as well as any of those solutions it costs about 85$. My friend tried it and it is works the same as any commercially available tablets. I will post a link soon to the website where you can order.

it seems way more practicle than the camera idea(although its realy ingenius)

#10 September 10 2010

lorcan32

Well i got the price wrong but it is a fully functional touchscreen

http://www.magictouch.com/addon.html

#11 September 10 2010

Bassem

Damn! Those are ridiculously expensive. And they're not even multi-touch

mmk92, I'm selling my old tablet PC for 250$, but I guess it's not the type of tablet you're looking for.

#12 September 11 2010

lorcan32

True but compare the price with a new tablet :)

#13 September 11 2010

mmk92

Bassem wrote:

Damn! Those are ridiculously expensive. And they're not even multi-touch

mmk92, I'm selling my old tablet PC for 250$, but I guess it's not the type of tablet you're looking for.

btw which Toshiba Portégé M200 is it? theres more than one setup (ie Toshiba Portégé M200-S838, Toshiba Portégé M200-S7321) whats urs?

I am intrested btw

#14 September 11 2010

lorcan32

Anyway windows does not support multitouch.

#15 September 12 2010

Bassem

lorcan32 wrote:

Anyway windows does not support multitouch.

Windows 7 does support multitouch, and it works fine on my HP tm2 tablet PC, both on the screen and touchpad.

#16 September 12 2010

Bassem

mmk92 wrote:

btw which Toshiba Portégé M200 is it? theres more than one setup (ie Toshiba Portégé M200-S838, Toshiba Portégé M200-S7321) whats urs?

I have no idea... I bought it used already and the stickers on the bottom have rubbed off. What is the difference between the models?

Here are the specs:

TOSHIBA
MFBT010ATH01
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
processor 1600MHz
1.20GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM

#17 September 12 2010

lorcan32

I mean MULTI-touch. What happens if you press two tabs at the same time :) only 1 opens that is what  mean.

#18 September 12 2010

Bassem

lorcan32 wrote:

I mean MULTI-touch. What happens if you press two tabs at the same time :) only 1 opens that is what  mean.

I know what you mean, and yes it has that. You can use two fingers to zoom in, rotate, scroll, draw with 2 fingers at the same time, etc.
Here's an example video, I have the same app and use it the same way.
More expensive models support 4 fingers I think, mine only 2 which is enough.

Obviously you can't do illogical things like pressing two tabs at once. The program shows 1 tab at a time. That's a strange example

#19 September 13 2010

lorcan32

Ok bassem. My mistake sorry.

Last edited by lorcan32 (September 13 2010)

Board footer