LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 12 2010

mir

How to code a website to open in full screen

Hello guys,

I have a very noobish question for you

someone showed me this website : http://www.mrgroup-architects.com/

He told me they want their website to open in full screen like this one
Any way to do so without using flash ?

plz disregard the beauty of the design - comments-how to is much appreciated

Last edited by mir (August 12 2010)

#2 August 12 2010

arithma

Re: How to code a website to open in full screen

Nope, I guess the most you can hope for is someway to call the 'F11' button from javascript; I doubt it exists.
It's bad practice to fullscreen without user permission like this website does (among many other criminal assaults on design and usability).

I guess you best bet is a design that scales with the browser rather than one that opens fullscreen.
The thing about flash is that it can apply transformations to the whole stage and what not. It becomes easy to scale the movie to fill the screen. Not so much with html. If they really really really need fullscreen why not go flash and to hell with it (obviously one who would want that has already lost sense of reason, so it's good making moola either way)

#3 August 12 2010

Joe

Couldn't have said it better than arithma just did :)

#4 August 12 2010

crazy

I doubt that this is it, but I found this on google ---> http://www.ehow.com/how_5035580_make-full-screen.html

#5 August 12 2010

mir

thanks guys for taking the time to reply
I already tried javascripts that makes the browser go into F11 mode. this is not what they want.

arithma - rahmu : there is a saying i go by : wein bado sa7eb l 7mar, rboto - they want full screen aka they want full screen - i tried to convince otherwise for 5 mins, but seems they like the full screen thingie. I lack the energy to explain more

crazy: your code makes the browser fit the screen - it is neat to do, but not what i am looking for, thanks anyway

How hard is it to make a php website with navigation and all "fit" inside a full screen flash ? any idea how to proceed considering that flash is the only option ?

#6 August 12 2010

Kassem

mir wrote:

How hard is it to make a php website with navigation and all "fit" inside a full screen flash ? any idea how to proceed considering that flash is the only option ?

That's not hard at all. You have three options:
1. Use XML to communicate between Flash and PHP: That means you'll be using PHP to generate an XML file which will then be loaded by the swf file.
2. Use POST variables as the mean of communication: In this case, try to find a few tutorials online and look into the URLVariables class in the documentation.
3. Use Flash Remoting as the mean of communication: In this case you will be using a PHP gateway which will use AMF to send binary data from and to the server. Using this method, allows you to consume PHP web services and call their methods directly from within your AS3 code.

I would recommend finding video tutorials on Lee Brimlow's site.

Good luck! :)

#7 August 12 2010

J4D

It is obviously flash, try to look into some code of browser video players that go into full screen, it seems to be following the same method.

#8 August 12 2010

Kassem

This should be helpful. There are 2 other parts for this tutorial. Make sure to check them out as well.

#9 August 13 2010

mir

Kassem thanks for the tutorial link

here is what happened :

client : what about the website opening in full mode ?
me : this needs to be done in flash
client : oh - flash work - that is more expensive ?
me : I don't work with flash, i will get someone to do it - so yeah additional charge
client : let us reconsider - the final design will be sent to u tonight

#10 August 13 2010

crazy

Is it possible to tell the client that forcing a website to open in full mode is a nice way of loosing visitors?
I would never visit such a website again^^ (maybe its just me but I prefer to have a plain old simple webpage that does not open like a spam publicity)

#11 September 6 2010

kasm

this is javascript
the code:

<script language="JAVASCRIPT">   <!--   function detectVersion() { version = parseInt(navigator.appVersion); return version; }  function detectOS() { if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Win') == -1) { OS = 'Macintosh'; } else { OS = 'Windows'; } return OS; }  function detectBrowser() { if(navigator.appName.indexOf('Netscape') == -1) { browser = 'IE'; } else { browser = 'Netscape'; } return browser; }  function FullScreen(){  var adjWidth; var adjHeight;  if((detectOS() == 'Macintosh') && (detectBrowser() == 'Netscape')) { adjWidth = 20; adjHeight = 35; } if((detectOS() == 'Macintosh') && (detectBrowser() == 'IE')) { adjWidth = 20; adjHeight = 35; winOptions = 'fullscreen=yes'; } if((detectOS() == 'Windows') && (detectBrowser() == 'Netscape')) { adjWidth = 30; adjHeight = 30; } if(detectVersion() < 4) { self.location.href = 'oldbrowser.html'; } else { var winWidth = screen.availWidth - adjWidth; var winHeight = screen.availHeight - adjHeight; var winSize = 'width=' + winWidth + ',height=' + winHeight; var thewindow = window.open('windowversion.html', 'WindowName', winSize); thewindow.moveTo(0,0); } }  function MakeItSo(){ if((detectOS() == 'Windows') && (detectBrowser() == 'IE')) { window.open('thefullscreen.html','windowname','fullscreen=yes'); } else { onload=FullScreen(); } } // --> </script>

#12 September 6 2010

kasm

another way
is to launch the html that has the .swf in it....

#13 September 6 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

kasm wrote:

another way
is to launch the html that has the .swf in it....

i think this will lead to more cost , i think its not worth unless you use torrents ...

Board footer