LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 6 2010

drbitar

Laptop repair shops

i have an old acer travelmate 4020 with a reportedly broken motherboard, is it worth fixing? or should i simply stick with my new laptop? anyway does anyone know good laptop repair shops in beirut?

#2 August 7 2010

mezin

Re: Laptop repair shops

based on my previous experience ... it aint worth it ...

#3 August 7 2010

Flakk

If the repair doesint cost more than 100$ i recommend you to fix it, but more than that just dump it. Motherboard replacements are usually really expensive, based on my experience they cost more than 300$, some HP mobos from dv4 lappys cost around 600$ or more.

#4 August 7 2010

Kassem

hmmm I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 which needs to be fixed. The graphics card is broken. I already took it to a repair shop. the guy there said that the graphics card needs to be replaced (or repaired), but he cannot do it and I'd better find someone specialized with laptop repairs. What do you think Flakk?

#5 August 7 2010

BashLogic

if you want to give your laptops a repair shot, your best chance is to purchase the same mode motherboard from ebay. otherwise, you can embrace yourself to pay hefty sums and dont expect for the laptop to be actually repaired!

#6 August 7 2010

Flakk

Kassem wrote:

hmmm I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 which needs to be fixed. The graphics card is broken. I already took it to a repair shop. the guy there said that the graphics card needs to be replaced (or repaired), but he cannot do it and I'd better find someone specialized with laptop repairs. What do you think Flakk?

The motherboard of the DV9000 is a Core 2 Mobile Chipset of the PM965 Crestline. This model has a PCI-express 16x interface for the graphics card so basically the graphics card is not integrated and is replaceable. The 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS or 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS are the only two models that fit this motherboard.  A repairer can easily extract a functional video card from a similar dv model and replace yours or you can take it to the HP official distributor here in Lebanon they will fix it but the cost will be way higher.
I personally recommend the second option if you plan on paying much, the first option will save you alot of money but its not guaranteed you will get a long lasting video card.

An HP partner in lebanon is CIS (Computer information systems) http://www.cis.com.lb
which is located in Lebanon street, chammas building. Their Tel:  01 403 363.  I dont know if they are able to help in such matter because they are mostly software vendors.

Board footer