LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 19 2010

Kassem

What do you think of these specifications?

* Case: TA-400
* M/B: DH55HC
* CPU: Core i5 3.33GHz
* RAM: DDR3-1333 4GB
* HDD: 500GB
* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 240
* Optical Drive: DVD-R
* LAN: Wireless PCI
* Monitor: LG LED E2040S 20"
* Keyboard: Genius USB
* Mouse: Optical Genius USB
* UPS: B.O-1200
* Other: Card Reader, Webcam Genius 312

PRICE: 1200$

So what do you think?

Note: What's good about LED monitors?

#2 July 19 2010

J4D

Re: What do you think of these specifications?

What's good about LED monitors?

1-high refresh rate and good response of fast moving graphics .
2-cool name .
3-i would go with Samsung not LG .

#3 July 19 2010

Georges

A little bit expensive system. I own a better Sony Vaio Laptop at the same price.

#4 July 19 2010

Flakk

Kassem wrote:

* Case: TA-400
* M/B: DH55HC
* CPU: Core i5 3.33GHz
* RAM: DDR3-1333 4GB
* HDD: 500GB
* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 240
* Optical Drive: DVD-R
* LAN: Wireless PCI
* Monitor: LG LED E2040S 20"
* Keyboard: Genius USB
* Mouse: Optical Genius USB
* UPS: B.O-1200
* Other: Card Reader, Webcam Genius 312

PRICE: 1200$

So what do you think?

Its a bit expensive but i guess those are the prices in Lebanon.
But its a very good system.

Kassem wrote:

Note: What's good about LED monitors?

Better Dynamic contrast than the normal Cold-cathode backlit LCDs.
They can be really slimmer than the standard LCDs.
Better Colors and a wider and better gamma.
Low power consumption 20% to 30%.

Last edited by Flakk (July 19 2010)

#5 July 19 2010

MegaCool

Get Samsung HD monitor, they're cheaper and better than LG..
And 1TB HDD is a better option than 500GB, and not much of a price difference..

#6 July 19 2010

Joe

Very good system, price is a bit high. Maybe you could cut costs by buying i3 instead of i5.

After all i5 is intended for graphic heavy configuration not really useful for web programmers :)

#7 July 19 2010

crazy

I'd get more RAM.. 4Gb these days are not enough.. at least for me. I have 8gb and almost all the time running at 6-7gb.

#8 July 19 2010

Kassem

Ok let me make things clear... I am NOT a gamer! I simply want a computer that would satisfy my needs now and for the coming 3-4 years.

I first started with an i7 processor and an X58 but the price was ~1500$. Then I had to choose between the i3 and the i5 and I chose the i5 because I might need to develop full Flash websites (which as you know, are resource hogs). But if an i3 could allow me to develop Flash sites smoothly, then I have no problem going with the i3... so any thoughts on this?

About the RAM, I'm not sure whether I need 4GB or more. For now I'm going to stick with the 4GB (because of budget limits) and in case I needed more, I'll purchase an extra 2GB stick later on.

About the HDD, 500GB is more than enough. I also have a 320GB external HDD to back up my important files. The price difference between the 500GB and the 1TB is 40$, so I'll stick with what I've chosen already.

Concerning the monitor, I have no idea what's better than what, but the shop owner (whom I have a good relationship with) suggested the one mentioned in the first post (I first wanted a 22" LG LCD, but he recommended a LED monitor).

#9 July 19 2010

babum

you should state the use you are planning on giving to your computer,
are you a programmer?
web designer?
graphic designer?
or just a regular person who wants to buy a gaming capable pc and not game with it.

#10 July 19 2010

Joe

If your motherboard allows easy upgrade than i3 + 4GB DDR3 should be plenty. And then you can gradually improve specs depending on your needs.

And don't forget that Flash may be a resource hog, but modern CPUs (that aren't Intel Atom) don't really have problems with it :)

#11 July 19 2010

Kassem

babum wrote:

you should state the use you are planning on giving to your computer,
are you a programmer?
web designer?
graphic designer?
or just a regular person who wants to buy a gaming capable pc and not game with it.

I am mainly a web developer (i.e: I take care of the HTML/CSS and PHP part of building websites). But I do use Flash quiet a lot, as well as using Adobe Photoshop to design websites.

rahmu wrote:

If your motherboard allows easy upgrade than i3 + 4GB DDR3 should be plenty. And then you can gradually improve specs depending on your needs.

Yes, the motherboard is very good. It allows upgrades to i5 and even i7 (but not the i7 extreme though).

rahmu wrote:

And don't forget that Flash may be a resource hog, but modern CPUs (that aren't Intel Atom) don't really have problems with it :)

That's true but as you might know, the Flash IDE is a pain in the ass (by all means). I just want to be able to develop Flash websites and not hate my life trying to do so!

#12 July 19 2010

babum

if thats what you needed for, then you will be fine, though I would keep in mind getting more RAM as it will help you when using photoshop and other graphic design software solutions.

#13 July 20 2010

eurybaric

LED monitors are insane! I went into this store once that had an HD LED screen hooked up to a ps3 and it took me a couple of minutes before realizing that the screen was actually on and it was not just a sticker on the screen! and that was during the day! but then again any of the LG monitor series you mentioned.

anyhow, the specs are really good man (more than what you'd want for flash design n stuff), you can even play games on that one haha

#14 July 29 2010

edgelord101

The specs are nice. They should last your for a good 5 years without complaining if you're not a gamer. But I still find the price too high. Your stupid screen just shoved 300-200 more dollars on the price.

#15 August 4 2010

lorcan32

If you build your own costom rig i should be cheaper. An  LCD screen is much smaller and easier to adjust to your need, everything else is already mentioned here. I have an acer LCD and am very happy wihth it.

#16 August 4 2010

ChickenExpress

Those "LED" monitors are still LCD. They're LED backlit, as some already mentioned. It kind of bugs me since Samsung started this whole false advertisement of new LED TVs. They actually got themselves sued and lost in the UK for implying that.

Also been mentioned before but try avoiding LG and go with a Samsung and make sure that since you're going for a 22" that it's widescreen and the resolution is around 1920x1080 or better yet 1920x1200.

Last edited by ChickenExpress (August 4 2010)

#17 August 4 2010

Kassem

Actually I got an LED back-lit LG 20" with a 1600x900 resolution. It's pretty good enough for my needs. But what's wrong with LG?

Board footer