LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 19 2010

xterm

Laptop Overheating Issues

Hello,

I'm experiencing a lot of overheating on my laptop (HP DV8 1090ev). I'm currently trying to find a solution to this problem so any advice would be appreciated.

1) Buying a desktop is not an option.
2) Replacing the laptop is not an option.
3) Cleaning the dust has already been done
4) Getting a cooling pad has already been done, i've purchased over 5 types of cooling pads and none of them outputs a decent amount of cold air to keep the laptop performing the same.

Anything else?

#2 July 19 2010

J4D

Re: Laptop Overheating Issues

Is this a recent issue ? as in it has never happened before ? where is the heat mostly ? over the hdd or the cpu ? is the internal fan operating or is it faulty ?

#3 July 19 2010

xterm

1- Not so recent
2- Happened before
3- Ever freaking place
4- See above
5- I'm not sure, i dislike disassembling a laptop myself, it's too much effort.

#4 July 19 2010

J4D

you don't need to take it apart, load a consuming app like an IDE and compile some big project , and check for the fan's distinctive hum , most probably the fan is gone . since you have wide spread heat and the components generally share one heat sink connected to the radiator( the fan circulates air in the radiator to dissipate heat ) if the fan is gone heat loss will become small .

#5 July 19 2010

nuclearcat

Sometimes permanent overheating issues leads to components damage. Example - ugly BGA lead-free chips for video, i remember nvidia had such problems.

#6 July 19 2010

xterm

jadberro wrote:

you don't need to take it apart, load a consuming app like an IDE and compile some big project , and check for the fan's distinctive hum , most probably the fan is gone . since you have wide spread heat and the components generally share one heat sink connected to the radiator( the fan circulates air in the radiator to dissipate heat ) if the fan is gone heat loss will become small .

More info on how to do this.

#7 July 19 2010

J4D

xterm wrote:
jadberro wrote:

More info on how to do this.

Are you kidding me ?  just put your ear close to the laptop , look around it (and the bottom) you should find like a small serrated opening like a front end of a car , let your heavy app run for about 5 minutes then put your ear close to that vent , if you hear a motor hum then the fan is running , if you hear nothing then the fan is malfunctioning , if you hear creaking sounds then the fan is stuck . Don't confuse the sound of the HDD with the sound of the fan . listening is an art  and also a known method of troubleshooting .

Edit : some laptops do a diagnostics run when you start them up ( including a run up for the fan at full speed). you can try turn the laptop off then on and listen while the computer bootstraps .

Last edited by jadberro (July 19 2010)

#8 July 19 2010

xterm

I wasn't kidding, simply because i didn't assume you literally meant "listen for the hum".

#9 July 19 2010

Georges

I owned an HP DV6 for 2 years. Overheating was a permanent issue. I tried everything without any success.
Get this tool and check for the heating cause(s) (CPU, Graphic Card, HDD, etc...)

#10 July 19 2010

Flakk

Yeah could the fan malfunctioning but HP laptops usually overheat alot.
Put your hand on the back of the laptop on the fan ventilation space and check if hot air is being sucked out, if nothing is then fan has stopped working.

you can also monitor your temps by using this tool
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-setup.exe

Post us the temps you get so we can get a clear picture of the situation.

#11 July 19 2010

Joe

When does overheat occur? I had problems with Flash player. It was a driver issue.

My point is maybe some app is not running well. You could look into that.

#12 July 19 2010

Raficoo

i've had a dv5 since 2 years now and it ALWAYS heats up even on any FaceBook Flash App.. so i always have a cooling Pad under it(so far reached to the 2nd one).. my CPU keeps burnin up.. but it has been a well known problem on the dv5(probably a bad design on the vent system).. so i keep one fan directly above the CPU vent and the other one above the GPU vent(luckily the distance match the fans' distance)

#13 July 19 2010

Gomez012

My Toshiba Satellite laptop is also overheating and it's shutting down by itself. I cleaned it today but I still need to wait until my charger is fixed to see if it worked.

#14 July 20 2010

babum

Just buy a notebook cooler and if you can't buy one, then try to put something under the laptop without blocking the fans to elevate it and let more air in.

#15 July 20 2010

julien_saadeh

Is it AMD based?

#16 July 20 2010

nicoco

i once heard about additional internal laptop cooling. you might as well research that.

Board footer