LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 24 2010

julien_saadeh

Just a geeky question.

My laptop runs at 20V 3.36A (I think).

Will I kill it if I plug in a 19V 3.16A adapter?

I don't think I'm going to do it, but I just wanted to know your opinion

Thank you owl.

#2 June 24 2010

J4D

Re: Just a geeky question.

no you wont , it would probably run well , but takes longer to charge to full , and would damage the battery on the long run , just make sure of the polarity before you plug it in :) generally its a circle with a terminal inside , depending on the brand and model , the circle might be positive or negative , the terminal inside is the other :)

you might fry it if you give it more than 20 v .

#3 June 24 2010

julien_saadeh

Thanks Jad.

I wanted to add that I will be using it in Power Saver mode. I don't play any games.

#4 June 24 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

i wouldn't do that if i were you .... , if the current is not exactly the same bye bye laptop  ...

@ JAD , its not the voltage you should be worry about its the current cause its 100% there's voltage regulators inside the laptop for each ship but changing the current will damage the ship +_-

#5 June 24 2010

Padre

Aj_BlaZ wrote:

i wouldn't do that if i were you .... , if the current is not exactly the same bye bye laptop  ...

@ JAD , its not the voltage you should be worry about its the current cause its 100% there's voltage regulators inside the laptop for each ship but changing the current will damage the ship +_-

-_- nop.
it's true that there are voltage regulators, but it's definitely not the current that will burn. the currents rating of the power supply is that max power u can take out of it if u want. So if u use a 5A power supply on a machine that requires only 2, it's not a big deal. But using a 2A power supply for a machine that requires 5A will either result in a damaged power supply or a device not working
As for voltage regulators and polarity, they regulate within limits, and supplying it with an over voltage will heat the regulator, so do watch out :)

#6 June 24 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Padre wrote:
Aj_BlaZ wrote:

So if u use a 5A power supply on a machine that requires only 2, it's not a big deal. But using a 2A power supply for a machine that requires 5A will either result in a damaged power supply or a device not working

i think this is the case here , this laptop requires 3.36 A and hes using 3.16 A so my thought is correct ;)

#7 June 24 2010

Padre

it's not byebye laptop in his case, it's a heated up power supply :/

#8 June 24 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Padre wrote:

it's not byebye laptop in his case, it's a heated up power supply :/

let him try it and we will see

#9 June 24 2010

Padre

ok

#10 June 24 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

alright , julien post a video while plugging the 19 v to your laptop and then we can see if the laptop will survive or its gonna be a bye bye laptop :\

#11 June 24 2010

J4D

In electronics we don't have lets try and see , the result is definite , and i second what Padre is saying . It's no guessing game !

#12 June 24 2010

julien_saadeh

Hehehehehehe. No, I really wouldn't do that.
You know why? Because sometimes, things happen in a different way (some coincidence occurs), and you blame it on yourself later. So it is unpredictable.
I hate that feeling. I have been through it few times before.

Last edited by julien_saadeh (June 24 2010)

#13 June 24 2010

mzaouar

he should read on his laptop next to where he plugs his adapter
for example:  input 100-240 V  3 A   output: 20 V +- 1.5 V     2.5A +- 0.2 A

#14 June 24 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

jadberro wrote:

In electronics we don't have lets try and see , the result is definite , and i second what Padre is saying . It's no guessing game !

did you read post #6 this is what padre have said .... plus ( there's a big difference between a machine and electronics components like diodes etc )
no one said its a guessing game this is just to make sure that what you were saying is partially wrong and it will damage the laptop ...

#15 June 24 2010

julien_saadeh

mzaouar wrote:

he should read on his laptop next to where he plugs his adapter
for example:  input 100-240 V  3 A   output: 20 V +- 1.5 V     2.5A +- 0.2 A

There is no such intervals provided. I only saw that on my Speedtouch modem.

Last edited by julien_saadeh (June 24 2010)

#16 June 24 2010

Xsever

1 V less and 2 mA less should not ruin the thing. The power supply might just get warmer.

Don't try to push more current than 3.36 A or more voltage.

#17 June 24 2010

J4D

the question is , did you understand what Padre said ?! read again .

lets take this away from this field that you seem to know a little about .

Example: The maximum weight that you can carry is 200 Kg , if i give you 150 Kg can you carry it ? or will your limbs break ?! or will that happen only if i give you more than 200 kg ? if you don't understand it by this example , well then only God can help you with this :)

Arabic translation :

السؤال هو ، هل تفهم ما قال بادري؟!اقرأ ما قال مرة أخرة

لنأخذ هذا بعيدا عن هذا المجال الذي يبدو أن نعرف القليل عنه.

مثال : الوزن الأقصى الذي يمكن لك ان تحمل هو 200 كلغ ، إذا أعطي لك 150 كلغ يمكنك تحمله؟ أو تتكسر عظامك ؟! أو لن يحدث ذلك إلا إذا أعطي لكم أكثر من 200 كيلوغرام؟ إذا كنت لا تفهم من قبل هذا المثال ، ف الله وحده يمكنه ان يجعلك مدركا له   

بتصرف من مترجم جوجل

Last edited by jadberro (June 24 2010)

#18 June 24 2010

J4D

Now that's funny  I'd love some proofs .

notice that im not attacking you as a person , but attacking the faulty knowledge that you have and your idiotic stubbornness towards that !

Last edited by jadberro (June 24 2010)

#19 June 25 2010

zaza

wow lebanese likes to argue a lot for no reason
to julien :  if you can connect the power supply directly to the laptop and no manual cutting and/or connecting required do it, because most manufacture uses the same power supply for many of their product .
if it were my laptop i won't risk it by putting an incompatible power supply, please check your manufacturer site to be sure if the power supply is compatible

to jadberro : don't be insulting especially if you don't have logic, if you connect a power less or more than required both can damage your board , because some transistor and diodes won't be active when they should be and other that should be off might become active , and every transistor has threshold of max current/power/voltage than shouldn't be exceeded or permanent damage will occur.
notice that when their is electrical instability "الكهربا بتلعب", it usually damage electronics , and in this case the average voltage will go down usually less than 180 volts .
in summary: providing less or more power/current/voltage than required are just as dangerous.

Last edited by zaza (June 25 2010)

#20 June 25 2010

rolf

no

#21 June 25 2010

J4D

ما قارعت عالماً إلا غلبته وما قارعت جاهلاً إلا غلبني

Last edited by jadberro (June 25 2010)

#22 June 25 2010

Xsever

All of you guys are hilarious! No doubt not too many investments in Lebanon on the technological side.

Relax and keep it cool.

#23 June 25 2010

Flakk

lol do you guys always have to fight about everything ?

In my personal experience in the field of electronics, voltage matters alot especially in delicate components. so basically i recommend that the voltage is to be exactly 20volts but the amps can vary a bit cause it depends on how much load your putting your laptop on especially if it was charging.

So basically dont go over nor under 20volts but the amps can vary along the 3A value.

And one more thing, buy manufacturer hardware for your laptop only, not one of those chinese made power supplies. They cost much but they are reliable and give accurate values.

#24 June 26 2010

ZuZ

It will work just fine, the charger may get a little bit hot , but that is just it..

Consider this....you have a tv that runs on 220v and x amps...
In Lebanon, the voltage is never 220..it is always less by a few volts...

What matters is that the voltage is not more ,
The amps don't matter in ur case...

In July 2006 war, I used a 2.5 A charger on my vaio laptop that needs an input of 5 A..
It wouldn't charge the battery so I had to remove the battery for the laptop to work... Because the battery sucks out power to recharge...

The only thing you will be hurting is the charger itself.

Gdluck

#25 June 26 2010

julien_saadeh

Thanks all, I did a lot of research about it also and it turned out to be COMPLETELY safe.

I'm going to try it.

Worst case scenario is that it won't charge or accept the input voltage at all. But it certainly will.

Board footer