LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 11 2010

mk555

Good laptop to buy from Lebanon

Hello guys

I'm thinking about buying a laptop this summer but I really don't have a clue about what I should buy .

I will probably use it for graphic design ( photoshop - 3d softwares ) and gaming (anything that will run cod 4 is good enough for me )

Note : I don't really care if I could run games on high medium or low .

My budget is around 1500 $ .

And another question, is a 15.6 inches laptop suitable for what I'm asking for ? because I found this really good laptop from abed tahan, you can check it here http://www.abed-tahan.com/product-details.php?PID=486

#2 June 11 2010

Flakk

Re: Good laptop to buy from Lebanon

Here is the same laptop from pcandparts
HP DV6-2170     Intel Quad Core i7-720QM     4GB Ram     640GB HDD     DVDRW     15.6" LED     LAN, WIFI     GT230M 1GB up to 2.8GB VGA      Fingerprint /Bluetooth/Cam/Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit      $1325.00*

its the second listing on the pcandparts.com page
http://pcandparts.com/notebook.htm
I highly recommend this one.

And yes 15.6 is pretty good more than that would make the laptop really huge to carry. Dont recommend anything more than 15.6

#3 June 11 2010

Georges

Flakk wrote:

HP DV6-2170     Intel Quad Core i7-720QM     4GB Ram     640GB HDD     DVDRW     15.6" LED     LAN, WIFI     GT230M 1GB up to 2.8GB VGA      Fingerprint /Bluetooth/Cam/Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit      $1325.00*

And yes 15.6 is pretty good more than that would make the laptop really huge to carry. Don't recommend anything more than 15.6

I previously bought an HP DV6. The Core 2 Duo version of this laptop.
And with my 2 years experience with HP laptops, i don't highly recommend them since i had problems with the Excessive Heating (their cooling system is an epic fail), the Charger (I had to replace it twice within a year), The camera (i changed the entire screen since they (ALCS) couldn't figure out the problem).

I now have a Vaio and this thing is very good. It never heats up. The battery is excellent.

Edit: I bought it from GCC with a 3 years warranty.

Last edited by Yorgi (June 11 2010)

#4 June 11 2010

xterm

^ I concur.

#5 June 12 2010

Nader.Sleiman

From an artistic view , i suggest a MacBook, i personally love Mac lappys, however , for you i suggest Sony Vaio Z series VPC-Z116GX/S, its pretty much expensive though, try buying some other VAIO versions if you can't afford.

Remember: Toshiba sucks more than HP, but overall they both suck.

#6 June 12 2010

samer
Admin

I second the MacBook, now that Steam is there gaming shouldn't be an issue. You can easily dual boot anyway. Also, Photoshop and 3D software could be a better experience to use on OS X.

But if Macs do not suit you, then you probably should get a VAIO – it seems to be what people are recommending all the time.

#7 June 12 2010

mk555

Flakk wrote:

I prefer buying the laptop directly and not through an online company.

Flakk wrote:

And yes 15.6 is pretty good more than that would make the laptop really huge to carry. Dont recommend anything more than 15.6

Well I'm not going to carry it around so size is not a problem for me .

Yorgi wrote:

I previously bought an HP DV6. The Core 2 Duo version of this laptop.
And with my 2 years experience with HP laptops, i don't highly recommend them since i had problems with the Excessive Heating (their cooling system is an epic fail), the Charger (I had to replace it twice within a year), The camera (i changed the entire screen since they (ALCS) couldn't figure out the problem).

I now have a Vaio and this thing is very good. It never heats up. The battery is excellent.

Edit: I bought it from GCC with a 3 years warranty.

Nader.Sleiman wrote:

From an artistic view , i suggest a MacBook, i personally love Mac lappys, however , for you i suggest Sony Vaio Z series VPC-Z116GX/S, its pretty much expensive though, try buying some other VAIO versions if you can't afford.

Remember: Toshiba sucks more than HP, but overall they both suck.

samer wrote:

I second the MacBook, now that Steam is there gaming shouldn't be an issue. You can easily dual boot anyway. Also, Photoshop and 3D software could be a better experience to use on OS X.

But if Macs do not suit you, then you probably should get a VAIO – it seems to be what people are recommending all the time.

Do you have any recommendations about what Sony vaio laptop should I buy and where ?

#8 June 12 2010

Flakk

Oh well i have an HP dv4 never had any serious problems with it, it heats up yes but i got one of those coolers for it. But everything else its been running fine for 2 years now. The only really annoying thing about it is the damn HP quicklaunch which sucked up the laptop's battery even if it was turned off but eventually i was able to disable its drivers and stopped it.

This DV6 is the Core i7 which i think is better in terms of heating and power consumption but i am not sure.  The specs are very good and the video card is very suitable for running games like Cod4.

If you can get a Vaio with similar specs go for it or get a Macbook (but i dont think macbooks are good for gaming)

#9 June 12 2010

Cyril

samer wrote:

Ditto,
go for the MacBook, you'll definitely feel the change.
I was using Adobe softwares on Windows, and now changed to OS X as Samer said, it's a better experience.

But since gaming was one of your criteria, this might change your choice I think.

#10 June 12 2010

mk555

MacBook is not an option for me mainly because its not good for gaming
And I checked sony vaio middle east website so I think I'm buying a sony vaio , buy I'm confused between the E-series or the F-series , so what do you recommend .

#11 June 12 2010

Georges

mk555 wrote:

Do you have any recommendations about what Sony vaio laptop should I buy and where ?

If size and weight are not a problem for you, i Highly recommend this laptop. It's the VPCF1190X Configure-To-Order.

I bought this laptop when i was in the US (I was lucky, they released it the week before coming back to Lebanon ) and this thing is great. It's a custom built laptop in which i added some features like a double battery, a premium full HD display, a backlit keyboard (get them all especially the premium display).

As for the availability of this laptop here, I don't exactly know if it's available here in Lebanon at a reasonable price  (i bought it for 1350 $ including customization).

After 3 months of use, i can confirm that this laptop is one of the most successful Sony Vaio laptops ever built. You won't be facing any problem with the excessive heating and it's perfect for every use:
If you are a gamer, this thing can run COD 6 at full resolution (1920 x 1080) and you won't believe the details that you can see in the game (i still don't). I also tested the Adobe CS 5 suite on this machine too (actually my sister did, she's a graphic designer) and she confirmed that it's a very good and different experience. And for the daily use (programming, Browsing and chat, etc...), it's also excellent.

Edit: This Laptop can Run Windows, Ubuntu and Mac OSX very easily... (it includes Hardware Virtualization needed to run Mac OSX)

Last edited by Yorgi (June 12 2010)

#12 June 12 2010

mk555

I found two laptops similar to the one you recommended
http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcf116fg
http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcf117hg
Do you have any clue about there price in Lebanon or will they exceed 1500 $ ?

#13 June 12 2010

julien_saadeh

What you shouldnt get:

Acer (poor design, very fragile),
HP (complicated design, you cant troubleshoot anything)
Sony (extremely expensive unless cost is not an issue)

What I recommend:

Toshiba Tecra.
Fujitsu
NEC

All of these are extremely rigid. It would fall off the table and remain ON and working.
Their prices are acceptable.

That's about Brand Names.

About specs:
Any CPU with 3MB cache (most likely a 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo).
9600GT DDR3 - 512MB or more.
4GB  DDR2/3 system RAM

Hope that helps.

#14 June 12 2010

kareem_nasser

samer wrote:

You use VMware for dual boot?

As julien_saadeh said first choose the specs and then the brands and his analysis is true but personally i liked Sony's VIAO(yup it is most expensive but only to meet the satisfaction of the Lebanese audience).
You can find the models on Wikipedia.
P.S: Dont check the wholesalers website Alliance Electronics because the prices there are more expensive than the retailers.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (June 12 2010)

#15 June 12 2010

Georges

mk555 wrote:

I found two laptops similar to the one you recommended
http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcf116fg
http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcf117hg
Do you have any clue about there price in Lebanon or will they exceed 1500 $ ?

I'm sorry but i don't. I traveled to the US 6 Months ago and didn't keep track of the prices here. These two laptops will do the Job as well. Check if they support Hardware Virtualization.

kareem_nasser wrote:

No. He's using Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac.

kareem_nasser wrote:

P.S: Dont check the wholesalers website Alliance Electronics because the prices there are more expensive than the retailers.

Huhh !? Then why adding the Link to their website dude ! This is like saying don't click this Link.

#16 June 12 2010

kareem_nasser

Huhh !? Then why adding the Link to their website dude ! This is like saying don't click this Link.

Simple it is like in court i am just saying that it is true so that he can see it.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (June 12 2010)

#17 June 12 2010

Georges

kareem_nasser wrote:

Simple it is like in court i am just saying that it is true so that he can see it.

Ughhh! Okay fine.

#18 June 12 2010

mk555

julien_saadeh wrote:

What you shouldnt get:

Acer (poor design, very fragile),
HP (complicated design, you cant troubleshoot anything)
Sony (extremely expensive unless cost is not an issue)

What I recommend:

Toshiba Tecra.
Fujitsu
NEC

All of these are extremely rigid. It would fall off the table and remain ON and working.
Their prices are acceptable.

That's about Brand Names.

About specs:
Any CPU with 3MB cache (most likely a 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo).
9600GT DDR3 - 512MB or more.
4GB  DDR2/3 system RAM

Hope that helps.

Thanks but I'm going to stick with sony vaio

By the way I found a store called sony world which I will call for prices .

Last edited by mk555 (June 12 2010)

#19 June 12 2010

kareem_nasser

It is kind of a Sony showroom like Nassar near LAU.

#20 June 13 2010

Zickar

I recently bought a laptop from a showroom in Furn El Cheback .. I don't know the model number but I bought it with Graphic Design .... Its a Toshiba , VGA 1 Giga Nvidia , Processor i7 , Windows 7 . 6 Gb of Ram that can be upgraded to 8 , 500 GB hard disk ... I sometimes have Cinema 4D rendering , Working with After Effects and Premier and photoshop open all at the same time and I jump from one software to another in a breeze ... Rendering time is very good specially for 3D files .. I recommend it and I bought it for 1400 $

#21 June 14 2010

mk555

Zickar wrote:

I recently bought a laptop from a showroom in Furn El Cheback .. I don't know the model number but I bought it with Graphic Design .... Its a Toshiba , VGA 1 Giga Nvidia , Processor i7 , Windows 7 . 6 Gb of Ram that can be upgraded to 8 , 500 GB hard disk ... I sometimes have Cinema 4D rendering , Working with After Effects and Premier and photoshop open all at the same time and I jump from one software to another in a breeze ... Rendering time is very good specially for 3D files .. I recommend it and I bought it for 1400 $

The laptop seems good but can you tell me the name of the graphic card

#22 June 14 2010

samer
Admin

kareem_nasser wrote:
samer wrote:

Yorgi wrote:
kareem_nasser wrote:

No. He's using Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac.

No, you can dual boot natively using Boot Camp – it's not a virtual machine.

#23 June 14 2010

Zickar

mk555 wrote:
Zickar wrote:

The laptop seems good but can you tell me the name of the graphic card

How do I know that ? Where do I check ?

#24 June 15 2010

babum

Are you capable of buying from the internet? because you could try two options: gateway or dell.

Dell or alienware, has great gaming laptops which can be delivered to lebanon.
i would recommend you getting this laptop configuration as it is very nice considering budget limitations,
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
1 Year Basic Service Plan
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M
15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
3GB DDR3 at 1066MHz
250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black

1700$

A recommendation: avoid buying the 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 configuration, it consumes a lot of graphic resources and if you don't have a good processor and graphic card and a big screen you wont notice positive performance while gaming

Now, if you can buy from amazon, i would recommend you buying a gateway p7801 which is the current laptop am using for gaming, its amazing for many games, even though it has its limitations with games like GTA 4, CRYSIS, among other few heavy titles. you could also try looking in gateways page.

hope it helps

Last edited by babum (June 15 2010)

#25 June 15 2010

Georges

babum wrote:

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M
15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
3GB DDR3 at 1066MHz
250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black
-------
1700$

This is an extremely expensive laptop for such specs. Check Mine

Sony Vaio VPCF1 (latest Vaio)
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) - Hardware Virualization Supported.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - 1920x1080 Full HD - 1GB (up to 2.8)
16.4-inch Sony Premium Display (the best display i've ever seen)
4GB DDR3 at 1333MHz
320GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Blu-Ray (W/R)
Double  Lithium-Ion Battery
Backlit Keyboard

I bought it from the US for 1340 $

A recommendation: avoid buying the 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 configuration, it consumes a lot of graphic resources and if you don't have a good processor and graphic card and a big screen you wont notice positive performance while gaming

I have the 1920*1080 display. and this is the best display i've ever seen. I can play COD6 at this resolution very smoothly. The level of details is amazing.

And if you are in lebanon, i don't recommend buying an Alienware... They don't have shops and repairing centers in Lebanon.

Board footer